1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My state isn't high enough...planning a trip to yours

Discussion in 'South West' started by ItalynStylion, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    ....just so we're clear, that statement refers to elevation. :p

I went to Colorado earlier this year on business and decided I wanted to spend some time there NOT working. We're starting up September here and I'm realizing I have about 15 days of vacation left in the hopper that WONT roll over to next year. So it's use it or lose it and I intend to use it! I'm thinking closer to the beginning of October for the trip before it gets too cold. (I've been here in TX all summer and it's been 100+ LITERALLY every single day so I'm a pansy for the cold).

So here's the deal, I'm into mountain biking, kayaking, running, fishing, hiking, offroading, camping....fucking all the good shit in life. And word on the street is that Colorado is the best place to do all of those things. I'm wanting to do a fair amount of altitude training while I'm there. I have no idea what the area is like out there in terms of what to do but here is what I'm planning so far.

Maybe if we plan things right I could meet up with a few of you to do some wheeling. :D

So help me plan a sweet trip guys! What should I hit if I come out there?

***Updated as of 5/2/2012***

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Check out Ouray, CO. Went there for FJ summit and it was amazing. Really cool trails EVERYWHERE. The highest trail we went on peaked out at 13000ft. You could spend 2 weeks there and still not explore even close to everything in the area.

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    have you ever been to Black bear pass in CO.

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    If youre talking about the black bear pass trail into Telluride, then it was closed when we went. :( too bad. looked really sweet coming down the switchbacks by the waterfall.

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've not been ANYWHERE except Boulder. I did some hiking to the top of the Flat Irons I think they were called? Tons of fun. I was out there for a work training session so that was just something we did one night after the class was out. I'm planning a week out there or a little longer. Maybe try and get there Friday and then be there till the following Saturday and drive/fly home.

6. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I guess it is close to telluride ski resort.

7. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I do a fair bit of skiing but that's not what I'm wanting to do on this trip.

8. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Moving to Durango Colorado in Dec. :yay:

9. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    i know their is trail called black bear pass near telluride that looks pretty bitchen.

10. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, Ouray is just on the other side of the mountain from telluride. There is another trail called Imogene pass that goes over from Ouray to telluride. This is the one that peaks out at 13000 feet. pretty amazing.

Check out FJsummit.org for some information on the area and trails. there are a lot more than just what they list though.

11. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    i bet i would like to get out their one of these dayz check out some trail in the big CO.

12. Sep 8, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Mountains git snow yesterday above 11000'. When you come, come prepared for cold and wind. It's not out of the normal to see 40-50 degrees at high elevation even in the summer. Afternoon rainstorms are highly likely also. This is something you may be interested in http://www.staythetrail.org/maps/viewtrail.php?trail_id=47&sv=9

13. Sep 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm, well maybe I'm too late to do something like this at the year's end. Sounds like it's too late. It would have been ideal to go during the summer (almost did but had to go to a friend's wedding) but that time has come and gone. Maybe I should think about next year and try and find something equally as high but warmer?

14. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Cinco

Cinco Team no taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Rio Rancho,NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Civic Ex Coupe
    Steven,

Swing through Albuquerque. You can hear my new system (when it's done) and we can go wheelin!

15. May 2, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Alright, I'm doing it this summer. I'm getting the wheels in motion early so I'll be ready to go when the time comes. This time, I wont be alone. The girlfriend (new development since last summer) will be coming with me.

We have a rough plan so far which oddly enough includes much of what you guys posted about already. I'll lay it down here in a moment. I've got most of it written in a word doc I seem to have misplaced at the moment....

16. May 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    ALright, here's what we've got so far....rough plan

Day 1 - Saturday: Dallas to Ophir or Silverton
    Day 2 - Sunday: Wake up in the morning feelin like P Diddy; Ophir Pass: Silverton to Ophir to Telluride; Dinner in Telluride
    Day 3 - Monday: Telluride: Hiking/waterfall/biking/gondola
    Day 4 - Tuesday: Biking (Steven up early)/Massage (Caroline); eat lunch and get out (noon). Telluride to Moab (3 hours); Camp in Moab Night 4
    Day 5 - Wednesday: Off-road in Moab; Drive to Glenwood Springs (3 hours) for Night 5, hot springs
    Day 6 - Thursday: chill/Drive to Colorado Springs for Night 6
    Day 7 - Friday: Drive home?

17. May 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I'm a bit confused on where the Ophir pass and Imogene pass go to and how long they are. I thought I read that Ophir pass goes from Silverton to Ophir and then on to Telluride. If that's the case I'd want to Drive from Dallas (Day 1) to Silverton and stay the night there. Then day 2 do the Ophir pass from Silverton all the way to Telluride.

Does that sound possible?

18. May 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    When ate yall planning on making the trip? I'm guessing mid July to September is your time frame. It's going to be cold in the mountains and hot in Moab. I would skip the biking, hiking and gondola ride since you only have a short time for both Moab and the San Juan's. Riding a bike and hiking at 10,000 feet ain't no joke, plus you can see a lot more driving your truck than walking or biking. Also don't waste your time on Ophir pass. I'd take the west side of Engineer to Ouray then Imogene to Telluride. Telluride is expensive! You are gonna want to spend more than a day in Moab too. If you want I'll make an optional itinerary to get the most for your limited time. Just need to know what you really want to see and do. I want you to enjoy what little time you have to see both places.

19. May 3, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestions man. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I don't know "what's good" in the area and I'm just going off what I've read and such.

We really want to do some good trail riding. Scenic stuff. Imogene pass looked like it topped out at 13k ft so I figured that was good for that. I like your idea of taking the west side of Engineeer to Ouray to Imogene to Telluride. My girlfriend's family has a place on Ouray we might be able to stay at.

I'll be doing the biking. I'm an endurance athlete so the high altitude is something I'm looking for (from a training perspective). I don't think it will be a good idea for my girlfriend, who's not a biker, to do anything like that. If there's some fairly flat, easy, trails in the area for her we can jam on that. But I want to do some hardcore shit when I'm there. My Top Fuel 8 needs some REAL mountains :)

Hiking is something else we want to do. We don't have to get to the top for her to have a good time. Naturally, I differ on that front but I might go out for a run in the morning and do some crazy shit without her. For her and I together, just some cool sight-seeing through the mountains on foot. I think she really wants to see some cool waterfalls....not sure where that might be.

We'd be going to Moab to do some harder offroading. By that time I'll have a 2.5" lift and rear locker. Hopefully that gets me where I need/want to go. My buddy from Utah would meet us out there. Moab is waaaay out of the way which is why I thought we'd camp out there. We do want to do some camping too.

I have some sort of deal off living social for a stay at Telluride so it wont be quite as expensive. I figured the day when I'm out biking she can be getting a massage or something. Win win as far as I can tell! :D

If you're down for building us an itinerary PLEASE do. I'm sure yours would make the most out of our time!

20. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Techy

Techy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road dbl cab
    So how did the trip go?

Products Discussed in

To Top