Notices

Las Vegas Area Tacomas - Moab Meet Planning

Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
TurtleGuy
modsquad will become famous soon enoughmodsquad will become famous soon enough

Name: Andrew
modsquad's Tacoma Gallery
Las Vegas Area Tacomas - Moab Meet Planning

I figured we should start a travel/camping/hotel/meals planning thread for the Moab takeover (May 16-20th). This way we'll keep everything together and organized in one place.

Those from Vegas area that are attending so far: (That I'm aware of)

Andrew (modsquad)
Don (DonnoD)
Steve (big dog)
Jay (JRSYJAY)

The plan so far is to leave Vegas early on Wednesday the 16th. Travel to Moab is 8 hours not including breaks and gas so we'll be driving all day. The return for me will be Monday the 21st.

Don and I were thinking 5 nights at Area BFE would be overwhelming if 100 tacomas do show up (holy shit...). So we were thinking we'd do a night at BFE maybe Thursday or Friday to hang and meet with the rest of the crowd but then we'd find a more secluded camp site/motel for the rest of the nights. This doesn't mean we'll be away from the crowd completely, we can still chill there for the events/raffles etc Friday and/or Saturday night.

I personally only want to do one night in a motel, my funds are limited, but I'll need a shower by then. Maybe Friday or Saturday nights would be good timing for a motel room. Please research options an post up your preferences.

Motel/Hotel and date TBA....

I've been researching camp sites both back-country and private. Private developed sites are more likely to have toilets and other facilities. I'll likely do at least one night on my own in the back-country, maybe Sunday night. I'm working on organizing a list of camping options and I'll post them up soon. If folks agree we can make reservations where available.

Camping options TBA...

TTORA likes to OVER plan meals. The way I think we should do it:

Breakfast - on your own, share if you want
Lunch - on your own, share if you want
Dinner - an appetizer/snack to share and a side dish or dessert to share

This way folks dont buy too much food, which is normally what I see on these multi-day trips, but there will still be some apps and dishes to pass around. No one will starve, I'm sure.

We're less than a month away! Let's rip it UP! Please post up your comments/ideas/preferences. I'll update things as we make some progress on planning.

Some vids to get errbody excited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEOWhJ2oU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPBhax2ZWMg
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
big dog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down for whatever with gas prices I don't know What ill have to spend on lodging and food I probably have a budget of 1000 for this trip if I'm lucky so if anyone wants to share a room or how many tents and trucks can you have at one campground
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
DonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: don
DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
my girlfriend will also be going with us. im all for saving money as well. like i said im down to camp as long as there are showers and toilets. il be bringing a portable propane stove/grill so we can just cook something simple instead of eating out.
il be bringing a lot of
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
big dog's Tacoma Gallery
I think a campsite with toilets and showers would be the best bet plus we can probably get one for everyone and it would be cheep as hell that way. Ill bring the eggs for the spam
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
DonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/rates.html
cabins $60-$70/night sleeps 6
tent sites $26-$36/night

http://www.slickrockcampground.com/reservations.html
cabins $52/night sleeps 4 but fully booked on 18-19
2 person tent $25/night
4 person tent site $35/night fully booked on 19-20

http://moabupthecreek.com/rates_reserv.html

http://www.riversideoasis.com/#points
tent site $22/night for 2 people +$5 each additional guest

http://archviewresort.com/tentrv.html
tent site $23/night for 2 people +$5 each additional guest
cabin $50/night for 2 people +$5 each additional guest but only sleeps 4
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
TurtleGuy

Hell if a cabin is 70$ lets do that one night. I've done a few of the riverside camp sites a while back, the ones that are close to town. They weren't too bad. Very cheap for a group. We actually woke up to the river frozen over in the morning one day, pretty cool.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to do more planning recently. I'm trying to get something submitted and published before May, which has been ruining my after work hours. But then I'll be free and good to go for Moab.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #7

DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
so i made a little list. let me know if i missed anything or is it too much lol

2012 MOAB PACK

Hygiene

Toothbrush and paste
Deodorant
Clothes for 5 days
Shampoo/soap
Lotion/sun block
Off insect repellant
Hand sanitizer
Baby wipes
Shoes and sandals
Towels

Camping

Tent
Tarp
Air bed
Pillows
Blankets or sleeping bags
Flashlight and lamps
Firewood
Lighter
Portable grill/stove
Fry pan and pot
Small rice cooker
Power inverter
Canopy
Small table
Beach chairs
Disposable plates, utensils, cups and paper towel
Knife
Cooking utensils
Toilet paper
Zip lock bags
Trash bags

Food

Ramen/ cup noodles
Spam
Tuna
Vienna sausage
Canned corn beef
Cooking oil
Crackers
Rice
Bread
Hotdogs
Eggs
Lots of chips
Beef jerky
Cooler for lots of water
Cooler for lots of beer
Ice
And whatever else I can find at the store thatís good

Truck

Tools
Engine oil
Diff oil
Coolant
Brake fluid
Trans fluid
2 5 gallon gas cans
JB weld
Silicone
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Duct tape
Jumper cables
Tow strap
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
TurtleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
Just an FYI for you guys...most campgrounds will not have showers. Last time I was in Moab camping I just stopped at the Lazy Lizard Hostel on the south end of town and paid $1 to shower there.
Thanks for the info! There's another place I found that charges $5. I thought that was a little steep for a shower, but I guess if you're desperate...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #10

DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
all the campgrounds that i posted have showers
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
TurtleGuy

What do you guys think about the first place that don posted up, Canyonlands, doesnt look too bad, cabins sleep 6 for $60-70?

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/sites.html

Slickrock also looks good, cant beat $52 for a 4 person cabin.

There's also this place http://www.moabvalleyrv.com/Prices.html
97 (77 for double occupancy + $5 each for 4 more guests) for a large cabin that sleeps 6, i think these cabins have a lot of amenities and they have 33 of them so they might not be all booked yet.

I think friday would be a good night to do it timing wise, but I'm happy to do anything. If everyone agrees we need to book this soon.

What do you guys think about a meet up to get some last minute things done on the trucks?? I'd like to tighten down everything on the lift and wheel spacers. I also have a new HID ballast to swap in and I've gotta tune the CB with a new antenna. I have a place we could post up with plenty of room but my tool selection is pitiful, so you'd have to bring your supplies.

__________________________________________________ ________
Also, in case you havent done the math yet (I was scared to for a while):

Highway Fuel: $230 = [480 miles / 16.5 mpg = 29.1 gallons x ~ 3.90/gal = $114 one way, x 2]

Trail/InTown Fuel: $90 = [1 tank + 5 gal spare, Moab fuel prices are similar to vegas]

GET back AT me ABOUT this RESERVATION!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #12

DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
im fine with either one of em, i guess the only big difference is the location. the canyonlands is dead center of the city while moabvalley is up north a little bit.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #13

DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
ok so why dont we stay at BFE on 16th-17th
camp somewhere on 17th-20th
get the cabin on 20th-21st
that way we can get a good night sleep on the way back and also not deal with setting up camp everyday
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
JRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant future

Name: u need to ask?
JRSYJAY's Tacoma Gallery
sorry guys gotta bail on this trip.... got sick fam in jersey gotta use my vacation time for that.