1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Salt Lake Area Move

Discussion in 'South West' started by Russellstiltskin, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin [OP] Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    So, my Wife and I are ready to say adios to Alaska. We both grew up here and are just tired of being "off the grid" ( there's only so many places I can take the Toyota to play, and sights are getting old ). Winters are too damn long, summers are too short and rsiny, cost of living has gone through the roof and we want a change. Im a snowboarder, and I've actually been to the Salt Lake valley to ride local resorts for a week long vay-cay several years ago and I think it's a gorgeous area. We want to live somewhere that has more heat, yet still has winters for us to play in the snow. We are interested in either SLC area or Denver. We are more interested in Utah though because of Moab and other areas. So, to the point. What are good areas? I was looking at some houses in the Cottonwood Hts area. I like being a little closer to the mountains. But we really are open to just about anywhere in the area. Anyone familiar enough to advise a young family of 3 (we have our first baby on the way) on what areas NOT to look at? Just as other big cities, we have rough neighborhoods here we know to avoid, yet the home adds look and sound amazing. So it's hard to determine what areas to avoid when looking for our new home. Thanks in advance! Lay it on me!

2. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Rodeo

Rodeo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 dc sr5 longbed, stock for now
    Stay away from the west valley! If you have the money cottonwood hts is nice. Drapper and sandy is also nice. If you want to be closer to the city look at sugar house or holiday. We live in sandy and I can leave my house and be on the tram at snowbird in less than 20min. Just stay away from the west side of the valley! You can get a nice house for a good price but, it's full of gangsters and tweekers and getting worse every day. IMO hope this helps.

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    UTdez23

UTdez23 Half Baked Dez Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DCLB
    Bilstein 5100's front & rear, Eibach 620 lb Coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, Rear Diff Breather Mod, All Pro Sliders, RCI IFS Skid
    Over Denver :D At least based on proximity to the ski resorts, so if you like to board then you will be set here.. Also only a 3-4 hour drive south to very remote and amazing desert spots for camping/hiking/etc. including the more popular Moab area.

As far as neighborhoods/areas to live here in SLC, Cottonwood Heights, Olympus Cove and Sandy areas are all good spots and super close to the resorts. In all those neighborhoods there are super expensive houses, but they also all have more affordable options from what I have seen and heard. Personally, I have only lived in the downtown area my whole life, and am still only 30-40 minutes from the cottonwood canyons/park city resorts. I don't board or ski, but love hiking/camping and snowshoeing in the winter. I have had friends living in the canyon areas and they love it. Downtown/University of Utah campus area and Sugarhouse neighborhoods also are great options, affordable and all very family friendly. All depends what you are looking for!

Anyway, just wanted to throw some basic info out there. Can give more suggestions or help if needed.. Wish you luck and welcome in advance if you make the move!

4. Jul 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    Oh ok. Yea, I thought I read somewhere that WV sucked. Yea, I like what I'm seeing in the foothill areas the most. As long as it doesn't take more than 2 hours to get to SLC for entertainment, we are good. Also, being 15-30 minutes to any ski lift here, obviously to have that down there would be great. Ok. So sounds like I'm looking in the right areas. Thanks!!!

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    Rodeo

Rodeo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    When or if you move out here pm me and I can get you some 1/2 price lift tickets to snowbird, my wife works there. Good luck with the house hunting. Slc is a great place to raise a family.

6. Jul 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Rodeo- if/when we do, I think we just made our new friends! Lol thanks!

UTdez- sounds like that SE belt route area is the place to be. I've seen a lot of decent looking houses for MUCH less than the cost to buy up here. You're lucky to find a 1200sf house/duplex for less than 300k and even THEN they are usually outdated and need work. Average rent here for a 2bed/1bath is like $1200/month, doesn't even usually include your gas/elec. it's just got to where it's so damn expensive here that it's hard to afford the "playful" aspect of the area. Pay rates are higher up here for sure, but just hasnt been keeping up. They raised our rent at our 2br townhouse to $1650 this month. So we said EFF that. It's time to downsize and live on the cheap for a while and save up for a move. LOL
    Looking around the SL area and Denver Area, prices seem much more reasonable. But that's why I'm asking. Not sure if the Affordable rents/buys are just due to poor locations. Best to ask locals.
    Utah resorts seem much more friendlier priced than CO. The weaker beer probably isn't such a bad thing either. Lol I'm keeping my ears low to the ground for the employment opportunity for my wife and I that would make us jump and go. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input!

7. Jul 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Strautins

Strautins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR; 2011 TRD OffRoad TX Pro
    2019- 265/70R17 on methods, GFC to be installed: Yukon 5.29, ARB oba, snorkel. (Lift tires armor TBD) 2011- Retired:OME lift, Light Racing UCA, Demello Front, Demello sliders, Brute force rear, TX pro wheels, 285/75s, snorkel, M8000, ARB OBA, Century shell, Relentless skids, Cobra 75
    My wife and I are both from AK as well... we live in south SLC (rent) but it's a nice quiet area that is tucked away. You'll like it and I have yet to see a "bad" area in SLC honestly. Nothing like Fairview/Mtn View/Government Hill back home. I pretty much live up on the resorts here man, you'll have your mind blown by how much cheaper it is to board here and there are WAY more options for resorts.

8. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Yea, I definitely LOVE the Chugach, but we are getting tired of the same ol' same ol'. We LOVE the options Utah has in resorts and easy get aways. Yea, Mt View and Fairview are shady areas. We will be moving somewhere that we don't know ANYONE, so if we know where to look it will make it easie to decide. We just would prefer to live elsewhere.

9. Jul 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Strautins

Strautins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR; 2011 TRD OffRoad TX Pro
    2019- 265/70R17 on methods, GFC to be installed: Yukon 5.29, ARB oba, snorkel. (Lift tires armor TBD) 2011- Retired:OME lift, Light Racing UCA, Demello Front, Demello sliders, Brute force rear, TX pro wheels, 285/75s, snorkel, M8000, ARB OBA, Century shell, Relentless skids, Cobra 75
    I hear ya, being in the Marine Corps I get shipped all over the place and have to figure out new areas without much help or knowledge of the area. There honestly isn't anything that bad here. If I was going to buy I would just avoid west valley... It all depends on how far you want to be from SLC though, I think if I had my choice I'd live in Draper or out by Park City (Hebert, Jeremy Ranch ect... are cheaper but basically in Park City). There are a lot of options and nothing is really that far here because the interstate which is far more efficient than AK's highways and traffic here isn't that bad for the size of the city.

10. Jul 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Yea. We really don't need to be IN SLC, just maybe an hour at most. I am really liking what I see in the Draper area. Reminds me a tad of Eagle River, having the mountains just sorta BAM, right there. Ofcourse, I guess anywhere There feels like that, much like here. And the cost of the homes in Sandy/Draper areas are amazingly better than here. It will all depend on what I can secure for pay in my field. We have a lot to secure first. Like you said, the fact I can drive 6-7 hours and be in a different state is what we want the most. I don't think people in the lower 48 realize how lucky they are to have such a vast sprawled highway system. Heck, even flying can't much worse than in/out of AK. Lol

11. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    Tayysere

Tayysere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Taylorsville, Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 ImpulseRed DCSB
    Haha people are so ignorant. You'll find a lot more "tweekers" in the Sandy/Draper area than in West Valley.

12. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    yea I used to live in layton thats about 30 min north of SLC and its alot cheaper up there, vice SLC I could get to snowbasin in 20 min from my house and to the slc resorts in about an hour. look at fruit heights or kaysville too

13. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    :goingcrazy:
    emmmm....:drool:

14. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Dammit. I have tweekerphobia.

15. Aug 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Draper and Sandy doesn't have more. I'm not profiling, I'm just basing this off of what I hear and how much I hear it on the police scanner. Draper and Sandy have a lot less in quantity and the crimes are usually a lot less severe then some of the other cities a few miles north or north west of them

16. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Rodeo

Rodeo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Someone must be from the west valley. Oh, and I noticed you posted at 3am so I guess you would be an expert on tweekers.

17. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    No matter where you go, there's going to be good parts and bad parts of the town. There just seems to be a lot more bad parts in the west valley area, but there's also good parts in it as well.

In the end, you do find what you're looking for no matter where you are.

The best places, of course, are those with out any neighbors. ;)

(btw, y'all can fix your time zones by going to control panel and edit options. I dont see anyone posting at 3am, so I think you may be adding instead of subtracting or something)

18. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    Jib Bandits

Jib Bandits Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    Red devil horn emblem, All-Pro Expo leafs, Fox shocks, K&N CAI, aFe throttle body spacer, Flowmaster american thunder dual exhuast, Defender roof rack, Hell Bent steel level kit, Rigid Dually LED lights, smoked halo headlights, smoked LED taillights, Cobra CB, red badge mod(+30 HP), Spider-Trax wheel spacers!
    I'd highly recommend Eagle mountain area, or the ranches. you can get awesome family houses there right now for fairly cheap. Plus, it's where I grew up so I can attest to it being a great place to grow up. Also, I go snowboarding every season I can and it's about a half hour to forty five minute drive to the best resort, IE Brighton.

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    Heres my view and where i think would be a great place too live. Eagle mountain is far from everything and its a dessert... yes your close to one of the most famous trail's for off roading called rattlesnake trail. Now i live in the valley(for the ppl living from draper to SLC they know it as Happy valley). I live in Orem, ut, the valley start's from Alpine city and down all the way to Santaquin, ut maybe more. but to tell you the truth its really calm and different in this area of utah, when you pass the point of the mountain, highland to draper you can feel the differents in everything, i dont know if its just me because i have lived here in orem sense i was 4yrs old. But no matter where you pick in the valley, its going to be perfect to raise a family. and for hiking and all that fun stuff. there American fork canyon that has everything, off roading hiking, camping, and chilling, you also have the provo canyon witch takes you two park city, its a little farther to park city but the drive is fantastic, takes like an hour so 20 to 30 mins more then the city area. But thats for sure it a little closer to the road that takes you straight to Moab, its the only road unless you want to drive 3 hour's more..... Another thing that is a big different's of city valley and the utah valley. is that the city valley the traffic is hell from draper to SLC and the valley is way better at traffic from highland to st.gorge. just thought you might want to hear from a happy valley area person because looks to me that everybody here lives around the city area.

20. Sep 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    I LOVED Brighton when I visited there in 2007. Fun mountain. Hooked with a local gal and she took me "backcountry" off the left side of the resort. Was fairly fun. I'll look in to Eagle. Not sure exact location.

Products Discussed in

To Top