Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Duratracs in the rockies??

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
TuRD TACO
DeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
DeSean Thick's Tacoma Gallery
nice! I work at the private airport where the discount tire plane flies in all the time... no luck in getting some sort of discount from them yet though :P

I think I am about set on those tires though, their upsides seems to outweigh the one downside... I'm just about to install ucas and wheel spacers then i'll decide if i should get them in 265s or 285s
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
Baja runner
SEMAtaco is on a distinguished road
SEMAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSean Thick View Post
good point with the sipes, i wouldn't even be able to use them by next winter. the 265s are load rated E and the 285s are D, for whatever reason. I suppose since they have a longer sidewall they must lose a bit of strength there. Anyway thanks for the advice, it'll keep me from making any rash decisions but i'll keep an eye out there
My 285 Duratracs are load range E
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
Baja runner
SEMAtaco is on a distinguished road
SEMAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Great tread on them, but like everyone has said, poor side wall.

When I was running them, I had punctured the side wall on them in two separate occasions. I know the exact rock on one of those times, which I feel should not have punctured the wall. I dont know which rock did it on the next time. I was running the E rated versions. I had purchased them through Discount, with the warranty, so replacement was not an issue, but still a hassle to have to take care of it.

I have also seen (in person) on many different occasions, that the side walls have seriously cracked when the tires have been aired down. They still held air, but how strong can the tire really be when there are cracks in the top layer throughout the whole tire. It has never happened to be personally, but I feel a lot of it was because I was a newbie at the time and didn't understand the need to air down. When I see people running these, I will never recommend they air down below 20psi due to this.
How low are you airing them down? You can't run 10psi on 2 or 3 ply sidewall tires, this includes the MTRs, BFG mud and At tires and most other all terrain tires or stock tires!
The Mud tires normally have stronger sidewalls using 2 polly + 1 ply Aramid like the MTRs.
Comparing the sidewall specs on Duratracs to BFG mud KM or all terrain tires the specs are equal, they all have 3 ply Pollyester sidewalls.

The Duratracs also have 7 ply thread... 3 Polly, 2 steel and 2 Nylon, more than the mud tires.
I just got this info off the two different tires on my Toys in the garage.