1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duratracs in the rockies??

Discussion in 'South West' started by DeSean Thick, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    DeSean Thick

DeSean Thick [OP] TuRD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    It's tire buying season again, and i've been drawn to the GY wrangler duratracs based on tirerack surveys and opinions from here. They seem to be almost exactly what i'm looking in a tire; capable in the snow, good enough for long roadtrips back home to indiana, and agressive enough for local trails through the mountains.

HOWEVER, one reviewer on tirerack mentioned the well-known weak sidewalls and how he would hate to drive them through curvy mountain roads. As i live at 8800 feet, these weak sidewalls could be the dealbreakers to an otherwise perfect tire.

Anyone have experience with these tires in the mountains and can you recommend them?

I would probably be going 265/70/17, but i've considering jumping up to 285s (spacers included). Would the size increase mean a stronger sidewall or is that a nonfactor? Thanks for any help!

2. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Side wall will only get stronger if you go up in Plys. So a D will be stronger than a C rated tire.

Haven't had them personally, but I didn't get them cause the Sipes only go down maybe 5/32ths of an inch. One season and you're left with mud terrains that will suck in winter time.

3. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    It would i have the 285's and they only make them in E rated load range, i believe there 8-ply IIRC

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    I've got 265 75 16's in E rated. They should handle just about all the sidewall abuse a mediocre wheeler would subject them to. Mine have done fine on some nasty rocks, I dont usually air down a ton to avoid sidewall problems... Lowest I've had them was in the mid 20's psi. Idk, I've got no complaints and they have been excellent all rounders for me on my new tacoma and my previous ford ranger. I'm not a fanboy just stating that i have had no problems and i've had a duratrac on my vehicle for the past 3 years.

5. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    DeSean Thick

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    good point with the sipes, i wouldn't even be able to use them by next winter. the 265s are load rated E and the 285s are D, for whatever reason. I suppose since they have a longer sidewall they must lose a bit of strength there. Anyway thanks for the advice, it'll keep me from making any rash decisions but i'll keep an eye out there

6. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    DeSean Thick

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Marc, so they're still holding up well in the snow after three years (going out on a limb and guessing you get snow in wyoming...)?

7. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah lots of sidewall failure reports on the C load tires, but haven't heard of any on the Es.

8. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Mine are still good in the snow after 3 winters and 35k+ miles.

9. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    285/70/17 are D tho.

I love my duratracs in the snow, we got that huge blizzard up here this year, i was driving down unplowed roads with 30" on the ground. I don't think you have to worry about a weak sidewall, these are commercial grade AT tires and our trucks are very light even for a load range C tire

10. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I had c rated duratracs on my ranger for the 2 years before i traded it for the tacoma this year and i drove the tacoma off the lot to the tire shop for the same tire just e rated for the tacoma. I mostly drove the ranger in wisconsin winters which were plentiful in snow :) and yes we get snow up here, mostly out of the valley but i've driven through plenty of snow this year!

11. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    DeSean Thick

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    good to hear! of course now comes the age old question, 265s or 285s? I know this is just a personal problem i need to work out for myself. it'd be quite an extra investment but i'd be a happy lil fella with 285s :D

12. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Well i am sure you know all the pros and cons of 265s vs 285s, it was a hard decision for myself and i was verryyy close to going with 265s, but i am happy i went with 285s, even after the trimming/chopping and mpg/power loss

13. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I'll be honest and say I really wish I got the 285's. Now that I got my hi clearance rear on and am gearing up for a kick as summer wheeling I wish i had the extra wheel height and beef! I'm over gas millage... I get 20 average on the highway with 265's so 285's probably wouldnt kill me too much lol.

14. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    great snow tire..real nice on the street but there sidewalls are weak...ive seen 3 fail on the trail

15. Apr 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Which rated tire were they?

16. Apr 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Doesn't matter, they failed because they were trying to follow john :laughing:

17. Apr 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    oh gotcha, they only made the 285/75/16 in E i wish they made them in D

18. Apr 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    :burnrubber:

19. Apr 4, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Great tread on them, but like everyone has said, poor side wall.

When I was running them, I had punctured the side wall on them in two separate occasions. I know the exact rock on one of those times, which I feel should not have punctured the wall. I dont know which rock did it on the next time. I was running the E rated versions. I had purchased them through Discount, with the warranty, so replacement was not an issue, but still a hassle to have to take care of it.

I have also seen (in person) on many different occasions, that the side walls have seriously cracked when the tires have been aired down. They still held air, but how strong can the tire really be when there are cracks in the top layer throughout the whole tire. It has never happened to be personally, but I feel a lot of it was because I was a newbie at the time and didn't understand the need to air down. When I see people running these, I will never recommend they air down below 20psi due to this.

20. Apr 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    RadoTaco01

RadoTaco01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawzee
    Denver
    I have the duratracs on my 01, 265/70/17 e rated. According to discount you are able to get these tires re-siped if you want. I love mine, haven't had any issues although I haven't been able to wheel them much this winter. Great tires in snow and ice though, definitely heavier Tires. I got the protection plan through discount, more as a piece of mind and a part of a "good friend deal" :D Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top