Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Duratracs in the rockies??

Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
TuRD TACO
DeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
DeSean Thick's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs in the rockies??

It's tire buying season again, and i've been drawn to the GY wrangler duratracs based on tirerack surveys and opinions from here. They seem to be almost exactly what i'm looking in a tire; capable in the snow, good enough for long roadtrips back home to indiana, and agressive enough for local trails through the mountains.

HOWEVER, one reviewer on tirerack mentioned the well-known weak sidewalls and how he would hate to drive them through curvy mountain roads. As i live at 8800 feet, these weak sidewalls could be the dealbreakers to an otherwise perfect tire.

Anyone have experience with these tires in the mountains and can you recommend them?

I would probably be going 265/70/17, but i've considering jumping up to 285s (spacers included). Would the size increase mean a stronger sidewall or is that a nonfactor? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Side wall will only get stronger if you go up in Plys. So a D will be stronger than a C rated tire.

Haven't had them personally, but I didn't get them cause the Sipes only go down maybe 5/32ths of an inch. One season and you're left with mud terrains that will suck in winter time.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
It would i have the 285's and they only make them in E rated load range, i believe there 8-ply IIRC
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 265 75 16's in E rated. They should handle just about all the sidewall abuse a mediocre wheeler would subject them to. Mine have done fine on some nasty rocks, I dont usually air down a ton to avoid sidewall problems... Lowest I've had them was in the mid 20's psi. Idk, I've got no complaints and they have been excellent all rounders for me on my new tacoma and my previous ford ranger. I'm not a fanboy just stating that i have had no problems and i've had a duratrac on my vehicle for the past 3 years.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
TuRD TACO
DeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeSean Thick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Side wall will only get stronger if you go up in Plys. So a D will be stronger than a C rated tire.

Haven't had them personally, but I didn't get them cause the Sipes only go down maybe 5/32ths of an inch. One season and you're left with mud terrains that will suck in winter time.
good point with the sipes, i wouldn't even be able to use them by next winter. the 265s are load rated E and the 285s are D, for whatever reason. I suppose since they have a longer sidewall they must lose a bit of strength there. Anyway thanks for the advice, it'll keep me from making any rash decisions but i'll keep an eye out there
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
TuRD TACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
I've got 265 75 16's in E rated. They should handle just about all the sidewall abuse a mediocre wheeler would subject them to. Mine have done fine on some nasty rocks, I dont usually air down a ton to avoid sidewall problems... Lowest I've had them was in the mid 20's psi. Idk, I've got no complaints and they have been excellent all rounders for me on my new tacoma and my previous ford ranger. I'm not a fanboy just stating that i have had no problems and i've had a duratrac on my vehicle for the past 3 years.
Thanks Marc, so they're still holding up well in the snow after three years (going out on a limb and guessing you get snow in wyoming...)?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah lots of sidewall failure reports on the C load tires, but haven't heard of any on the Es.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSean Thick View Post
Thanks Marc, so they're still holding up well in the snow after three years (going out on a limb and guessing you get snow in wyoming...)?
Mine are still good in the snow after 3 winters and 35k+ miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
It would i have the 285's and they only make them in E rated load range, i believe there 8-ply IIRC
285/70/17 are D tho.

I love my duratracs in the snow, we got that huge blizzard up here this year, i was driving down unplowed roads with 30" on the ground. I don't think you have to worry about a weak sidewall, these are commercial grade AT tires and our trucks are very light even for a load range C tire
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSean Thick View Post
I had c rated duratracs on my ranger for the 2 years before i traded it for the tacoma this year and i drove the tacoma off the lot to the tire shop for the same tire just e rated for the tacoma. I mostly drove the ranger in wisconsin winters which were plentiful in snow and yes we get snow up here, mostly out of the valley but i've driven through plenty of snow this year!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
TuRD TACO

good to hear! of course now comes the age old question, 265s or 285s? I know this is just a personal problem i need to work out for myself. it'd be quite an extra investment but i'd be a happy lil fella with 285s
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well i am sure you know all the pros and cons of 265s vs 285s, it was a hard decision for myself and i was verryyy close to going with 265s, but i am happy i went with 285s, even after the trimming/chopping and mpg/power loss
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
PutterClutch

I'll be honest and say I really wish I got the 285's. Now that I got my hi clearance rear on and am gearing up for a kick as summer wheeling I wish i had the extra wheel height and beef! I'm over gas millage... I get 20 average on the highway with 265's so 285's probably wouldnt kill me too much lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Which rated tire were they?
Doesn't matter, they failed because they were trying to follow john
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
285/70/17 are D tho.
oh gotcha, they only made the 285/75/16 in E i wish they made them in D
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Great tread on them, but like everyone has said, poor side wall.

When I was running them, I had punctured the side wall on them in two separate occasions. I know the exact rock on one of those times, which I feel should not have punctured the wall. I dont know which rock did it on the next time. I was running the E rated versions. I had purchased them through Discount, with the warranty, so replacement was not an issue, but still a hassle to have to take care of it.

I have also seen (in person) on many different occasions, that the side walls have seriously cracked when the tires have been aired down. They still held air, but how strong can the tire really be when there are cracks in the top layer throughout the whole tire. It has never happened to be personally, but I feel a lot of it was because I was a newbie at the time and didn't understand the need to air down. When I see people running these, I will never recommend they air down below 20psi due to this.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
RadoTaco01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shawzee
RadoTaco01's Tacoma Gallery
I have the duratracs on my 01, 265/70/17 e rated. According to discount you are able to get these tires re-siped if you want. I love mine, haven't had any issues although I haven't been able to wheel them much this winter. Great tires in snow and ice though, definitely heavier Tires. I got the protection plan through discount, more as a piece of mind and a part of a "good friend deal" Good luck!