Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

NM Adventure Series

Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #441
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyjosh View Post
Meh, a sleeping bag and a cheap foam pad and you will be fine. Throw in a tarp in case it rains.
Yes, but the cheap foam pad has to be the right cheap foam pad.

Probably making a visit to REI soon.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #442
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Tom gather up some camping gear and come out to Moab. Still have 11 weeks until the event.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #443
Outdoor Adventurer
TEX82Trooper is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant Major,3rd Bn, 39th Rgt, Texas State Guard (prior service 82nd Airborne paratrooper)
Name: John
TEX82Trooper's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, IMO I'd stay away from the memory foam. A couple years ago my wife & I were out spring turkey hunting in the Sacramento mountains the first week of May. She had brought new memory foam pillows. We turned in about 11 PM, it was probably about 36 degrees, crawled into the sleeping bag, my head hit the pillow and it was like a ROCK! Memory foam and cold temps are not a fun combination, it never really did soften up much. Woke up the next morning to hunt, and it was snowing.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #444
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
I have this for work,
http://www.rei.com/product/848567/Th...FYY7MgodvVsAYw

Its great, I sleep on it 60+ days a year and I sleep like a log.
I have the xl and yes it not cheap or small, however it worth every penny sleeping on the rocks.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #445
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
NM Adventure Series

Hey my southern neighbors! Looking to take my family down to NM for spring break (1st week of april) and thinking about camping at cochiti lake and checking out tent rocks. Any ideas for other cool stuff to do and anybody available to wheel with us someplace close to that area one or two days during that week?
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #446
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTaco View Post
Hey my southern neighbors! Looking to take my family down to NM for spring break (1st week of april) and thinking about camping at cochiti lake and checking out tent rocks. Any ideas for other cool stuff to do and anybody available to wheel with us someplace close to that area one or two days during that week?
A few of us did the old La Bajada trail a few weeks back the trail is about 10min from cochiti lake, there should be some pics a few pages back on this tread. Also lots of areas to explore above that trail, the area is called Caja del rio. Also, it's not a trail but there are some awesome views going up to the SAnta Fe ski area. Wish I could take off and wheel but gotta save my leave
Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #447
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog86 View Post
A few of us did the old La Bajada trail a few weeks back the trail is about 10min from cochiti lake, there should be some pics a few pages back on this tread. Also lots of areas to explore above that trail, the area is called Caja del rio. Also, it's not a trail but there are some awesome views going up to the SAnta Fe ski area. Wish I could take off and wheel but gotta save my leave
I just found those pics from the report. That trail looks awesome! I would definitely want to make sure I have someone else with me on that one. If NM is definitely where we are going for spring break, I will post up here a little while before so that if anyone can make it to show me around they have time to prepare.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #448
And then?
BigFishAllDay is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
BigFishAllDay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveMadman View Post
New to ABQ and would love to get down on some runs with you guys. My 3rd Gen 4runner is stock for all intensive purposes, but I am working on that as fast as my wallet will allow. But my 4x4, e-locker and experience should allow me to hang somewhat. Hope to join you guys on the next one if you dont mind!

Chris
Hey, Chris! I got around most of the state in my '97... stock w/no elocker... for years. You'll be fine on 90% of what there is to get into. Stay up on this thread... there will be some runs this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Not setup for overnighters yet but starting to eye camping gear.
This coming from the guy who made the thread that is linked in his signature with the comment: "Come for the fun, be prepared to spend the night."

(That's a double facepalm... two faces, two palms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateMob View Post

I'm gonna miss all the fun. Take a bunch of video and photos!
Dude. The day came fast. Sounds like you're shipping out around the 24th, right? Sorry we didn't get another run planned, but stay safe out there and we'll hit it when you get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTaco View Post
Hey dude... I think I ran Kane's with you at the moab meet last year.. Wife and little Baby in the back of a silver DC 2nd gen, right? I'm off work 3/31 through 4/2 and would prob be game to head out. Send me a PM or something.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #449
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay View Post
This coming from the guy who made the thread that is linked in his signature with the comment: "Come for the fun, be prepared to spend the night."

(That's a double facepalm... two faces, two palms)
There is no "in style" tacked on to the end of that quote. I actually throw my sleeping bag in the truck every time we go out. Do I want to spend the night? No. But it is much like the zombie apocalypse. Do I want the zombies to come eat my brains? No, but I'm prepared for the eventuality.

Speaking of runs, what be going on? Cedro peak sometime soon? Just to get out of town and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air? Someplace more suggestable?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #450
Tacomamba is on a distinguished road
Tacomamba's Tacoma Gallery
I say Cedro peaks sometime soon
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #451
And then?

Does anybody have any time off next week? I'm off Monday through Sunday (4/7-4/13) and I need to get outside. I'm going to do some fishing, but a day of 'wheeling may be an option as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #452
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anybody have any time off next week? I'm off Monday through Sunday (4/7-4/13) and I need to get outside. I'm going to do some fishing, but a day of 'wheeling may be an option as well.
If I get my new head stud kit and gasket kit in time and a day to rebuild the engine (again... Stupid cavitation) I'll be down for some wheeling.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #453

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I need to get out of the apartment and the doc gave me a kenalog shot so I might be able to stand the pollen.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #454

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
The GET THE HELL OUTTA DA HOUSE Run

Where: Taking Suggestions

When: Sat Apr 12 or Sun Apr 13 (again, taking suggestions)

Who:
1. TomTom

What is required: CB, Recovery Equipment (hooks & straps are a min.), Toolkit, etc.

Somebody chime in and make some suggestions. I would like to make this happen.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #455
Ariyan is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Ariyan's Tacoma Gallery
/\ May be in. Depends if I decide to go up to CO though.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #456
Watt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
Watt maker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Who:
1. TomTom

What is required: CB, Recovery Equipment (hooks & straps are a min.), Toolkit, etc.

Same weekend as the ABQ international auto show. I might be able to do this.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #457
And then?

Dang, Scott!

Rebuild the engine AGAIN? That's a Land Rover for you... should have stuck with a Toyota.

Quote:

Who:
1. TomTom

I might be able to make it happen on the weekend. Either way, I'm looking to get a little far flung, and I don't think Cedro Peak is going to scratch my itch.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #458

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Unless there was a strong push for it, was reserving Cedro Peak for a farewell run for KCDuran. I'm open to other places. I'd prefer to be back in my own bed for bedtime. If that means I have to head back on my own at some point, I'm ok with that. Just need to get out.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #459
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dang, Scott!

Rebuild the engine AGAIN? That's a Land Rover for you... should have stuck with a Toyota.

Yea.... I know, but too good of a price to pass up. Plus I don't mind too much because I did not find out about the far superior head stud kit over the problematic "streach bolts" untill I was half way done... I'll feel a lot better with it this time.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #460
And then?

Quote:
Unless there was a strong push for it, was reserving Cedro Peak for a farewell run for KCDuran. I'm open to other places. I'd prefer to be back in my own bed for bedtime. If that means I have to head back on my own at some point, I'm ok with that. Just need to get out.
I'm thinking an exploratory trip through the Jemez. Start at Cochiti lake dam, and head north via FR289 west of the Dome Wilderness, up to Hwy 4... then back out via Vallecitos de Los Indos through Paliza canyon and back down to Jemez Pueblo > Bernalillo > ABQ.

For reference, look here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santaf...telprdb5411664

You want the "southwest" map, located directly here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5412222.pdf

Obviously, there are lots of options as far as routes in/out. I think 289 would definitely be the way in, and the way out would depend on where we find locked gates. If worst comes to worst, we pass by tent rocks and can stop to explore some slot canyons on an easy hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
Yea.... I know, but too good of a price to pass up. Plus I don't mind too much because I did not find out about the far superior head stud kit over the problematic "streach bolts" untill I was half way done... I'll feel a lot better with it this time.
For sure. I saw a supercharged version, just like yours, the other day. I can't say I wasn't tempted.