Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

NM Adventure Series

Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Have not heard anything more about Sunday and Kelly wanted to do a BBQ on Sunday, so that's what ill be doing.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #42
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Okey-dokey. Might not be wise for me to go off-roading either. Still have to get in the 500 miles of break-in on the gears.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
had this website saved on my laptop. finally got on my laptop to find it. it tells you the loctions, difficulty, and pics of each trail.

http://nm4w.org/WEBEJEEPIN/Trails/Ne.../Trails_NM.htm

ive been wanting to do la bajada for a while, you take the origional road that the military used in the early 1900's. its pretty easy and close to burque
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Oooh, I like that list.

Let's do eet.

Is there an area up at Exit 264 to meet up?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #45

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
La Bajada Run

Where: http://nm4w.org/WEBEJEEPIN/Trails/Ne.../La_Bajada.htm

When: Sunday, May 26th 10am.

Meet up at Exit #264. Google maps shows a pull-out area a little north of I-25

Who:
1. TomTom
2. White Toy Taco
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Oooh, I like that list.

Let's do eet.

Is there an area up at Exit 264 to meet up?
yea i was pretty exited when i first saw that website.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #47
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a fun easy trail, I would be down to come but i dont think i want to trailer the zuk for an easy trail like that, and not sure about taking the cummins on it, anyone want a passenger?

Ive been trying to find that tank trap but have been unsuccessful... looks fun..
Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #48
505 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexb03 View Post
That looks like a fun easy trail, I would be down to come but i dont think i want to trailer the zuk for an easy trail like that, and not sure about taking the cummins on it, anyone want a passenger?

Ive been trying to find that tank trap but have been unsuccessful... looks fun..
i might have an open seat. i asked my buddy to tag along but he likes to change his mind a lot so ill let you know.

and whats the tank trap?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #49
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
Tank trap is on that list of trails you posted... its somewhere in santa fe and i heard its pretty hard...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #50
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tank trap is on that list of trails you posted... its somewhere in santa fe and i heard its pretty hard...
Its a fun trail, only about a mile or two long but usually takes 2-3 hours and nothing but lava rock and sand. Used to do it on my jeep. The rain would completely change the run from one day to the next. I can show you where it starts it can be ran forward on back.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #51
And then?
BigFishAllDay is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
BigFishAllDay's Tacoma Gallery
Tank Trap now has seasonal closures as far as I can tell. I was just checking out the SFNF Motor Vehicle Use Map, and it indicates that the trail is open for travel between 8/16/13 and 2/28/14, but is otherwise closed (roads 24N and 24NG).

You can download the maps here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santaf...telprdb5411664

For Tank Trap, you'll want the Southwest map, and you can get all the GPS coordinates on the link provided earlier so you know where to look. Basically it's on the lower RH corner of the map linked above, heading NW off NM road 62.

I've been wanting to try that one for a long time... the link below has some good pictures of a Tacoma running it, also google "Tank Trap Santa Fe".

http://www.expeditionswest.com/adven...004/tank_trap/

You guys should have a good time on La Bajada... I would recommend extending the run into the Caja Del Rio area to check out the sinkhole, and Diablo Canyon & Buckman Rd.

These pics are from last year:

Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #52
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Twenty plus years ago, I rode my four wheeler from Pena Blanca to Santa Fe a couple times to go ride with some friends out at buckman and Diablo Canyon, and I used the old road up La Bajada. I also went on a couple alcohol induced off road adventures in my 79 Bronco, and it was totally full of large rocks, hardly passable for trucks, but your pictures make it look like two wheel drive could climb it. Just think, that used to be the only way to Santa Fe before the highway was built.
If you guys are going to go into Diablo Canyon, you probably should start in La Bajada Village, climb up the old road, then across tetilla peak heading towards Diablo. There is a few ways to get home from there, including going into santa fe. Just my two cents.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #53

X2 on the sink hole, awesome sight although some what creepy.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #54
And then?
BigFishAllDay is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
BigFishAllDay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
If you guys are going to go into Diablo Canyon, you probably should start in La Bajada Village, climb up the old road, then across tetilla peak heading towards Diablo. There is a few ways to get home from there, including going into santa fe. Just my two cents.
That's the route I took in the series of pictures above, and I'd agree that is definitely the best route if you want to get a feel for the area.

The picture of La Bajada is decieving because it's looking down at the trail, and there's some distance there. There are still alot of big rocks, washed out areas, and some off camber sections but it's not too bad.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #56

Here's a really crappy video of me at the tank trap running it in reverse. There were some bypasses but I would say sliders and skids are a must. For perspective the jeep was on 35s.

http://youtu.be/hkYPppEJExM
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #57
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Twenty plus years ago, I rode my four wheeler from Pena Blanca to Santa Fe a couple times to go ride with some friends out at buckman and Diablo Canyon, and I used the old road up La Bajada. I also went on a couple alcohol induced off road adventures in my 79 Bronco, and it was totally full of large rocks, hardly passable for trucks, but your pictures make it look like two wheel drive could climb it. Just think, that used to be the only way to Santa Fe before the highway was built.
Hey... He shows himself!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #58
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay View Post
That's the route I took in the series of pictures above, and I'd agree that is definitely the best route if you want to get a feel for the area.

The picture of La Bajada is decieving because it's looking down at the trail, and there's some distance there. There are still alot of big rocks, washed out areas, and some off camber sections but it's not too bad.
Nice pictures, made me think of a couple good times I had up that way!

I'm thinking about going out there Sunday, I would have the wife and kids with me if I did.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #59
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
Hey... He shows himself!!!
What's up Scott? Hopefully one of these days I'll get to go on a ride with you guys.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #60
505 Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
Subd.. Sunday still a go?
i might have to back out but we will see..

and yea i was thinking about going to caja after la bajada since its close. how long did everything take you to run, Nick?