Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Beginner Colorado trails?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Beginner Colorado trails?

My wife and I will be going to Colorado in August for about a week long vacation, and the primary reason for the trip is basically enjoying nature and the sights.

We've got a completely stock 2013 TRD Off Road, we'll be alone, and i'm new to offroad driving..so I don't want anything tough where we might get stuck in the middle of nowhere or that a stock truck can't handle, but we really want to drive some mountain trails and such to get some good scenic views. Kind of looking for some of those trails that a passenger car couldn't dream of doing, but a stock 4x4 can do without much concern.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Dillard has a spectacular aura aboutDillard has a spectacular aura aboutDillard has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dillard
Dillard's Tacoma Gallery
What part of Colorado will you be in?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
We'll be up around Colorado Springs some to do Pikes Peak, and most of the rest of the trip will be in the Salida area. We don't have much at all in the way of set plans, so nearly the whole trip will be primarily driving trails, camping, and sightseeing. Just want to make sure I don't get onto anything extreme, or spend the whole trip driving aimlessly looking for places that would be a good drive.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Old stage coach road in the springs is very mild and plenty of camping opportunities.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have the Colorado version of this book but if it anything like the California edition, you will have all the info you would want on 4wd trails in Colorado.

Link

Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Old Fart
Rival14 has a spectacular aura aboutRival14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dave, The Lip Ripper Extraordinaire
Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
Traildamage.com
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival14 View Post
Traildamage.com
This. Also, like someone else mentioned - if you're looking for a wheeling buddy, I'm more than happy to accompany you. You might look into slaugherhouse gulch as it's a pretty trail that will challenge your stock truck (I did it several times in stock trim). Let me know when you're up here - Sundays will work best for me in August.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Mt Princeton is a nice scenic trail that Subarus can handle.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely have some to look into further, and some planning to do. My wife liked the history of Mosquito Pass, and the views she saw on another forum. Would that one be fairly simple?

And for the couple of you that volunteered to accompany us, I might very well take you up on that! Let you know when I have specific dates, and if you're free that would be great.

Products Discussed in this Thread