Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Alpine Loop - Too Much for a Stock Tacoma?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
August 10th? Wife and I were camping for our anniversary and got the camp setup about 2pm and it was a torrential downpour for about 5 hours straight. Fortunately we had tarp city setup so we were dry just cold since it got down to 37* that night.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
August 10th? Wife and I were camping for our anniversary and got the camp setup about 2pm and it was a torrential downpour for about 5 hours straight. Fortunately we had tarp city setup so we were dry just cold since it got down to 37* that night.
It was around then. it was part of a 2 week trip so I lost track of days. I had to go back and look on the computer to figure out when we were there and it was the 12th. We had snow that morning with mountains looking the same. We camped at clear lake and as we came down the mountain we had lightning striking very close by. Fun country down there
Old 09-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #23
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Did you go into Engineer from Ouray? We took that route to run Poughkeepsie Gulch and the entrance is pretty cool. Fun gate keeper, like all trails should start.
We did Engineer from the Lake City side. We were staying in a lodge in Lake City.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #24
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
Nah, just messing with you. I just always see the numerous pics taken when someone does the loop. Glad you had a good time, I've done it numerous times in different vehicles. Love that I only live 2.5 hours from the trail head in Lake City.

Alpine loop IMO is one of those things that you just have to do in life. Here's our secret camp spot Aug 10.. Notice the snow.
I know you were just messin... Been looking at places like Pagosa Springs and Montrose to retire. Also looking at Las Cruces, NM. I am in my mid-50's.

I must have just missed the snow when I was out there by about 10 days.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
The Alpine Loop is worth a bump. From what I remember while being beaten to death in a friend's Jeep, the main loop isn't too rough for a stock Tacoma, but some of the connecting trails may be. That whole area is filled with trails, and a few yurts are around, too. I know those are there for the winter snowmobile & cross country ski folks, but they might be available in warmer weather, too. Looked pretty mousey, but might be a fun place for a small meet to spend the night.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Would like to do this trip next year. None of the crazy routes with rock crawling. So far I only have a 3" lift and BFG ATs 265/75/16s. Will I need skids to make the trip, or even beefier tires?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman01 View Post
We did Engineer from the Lake City side. We were staying in a lodge in Lake City.
I believe we did the same direction. i was at the back of the pack and im pretty sure thats how we ran it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Would like to do this trip next year. None of the crazy routes with rock crawling. So far I only have a 3" lift and BFG ATs 265/75/16s. Will I need skids to make the trip, or even beefier tires?
no you should be more than equipped for the trails besides Poughkeepsie Gulch. air down your tires and have fun. Incredible place.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post

You will be fine, I have seen subarus make it around the loop.