Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Alpine Loop - Too Much for a Stock Tacoma?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Alpine Loop - Too Much for a Stock Tacoma?

I will be visiting Colorado next week. I am tempted to take the Alpine loop, but wondering if anyone with a stock 4WD Tacoma has done that? The websites recommend a high clearance and skid plates.

But then a lot of off-ramps say 40mph and I ignore that.

So, are they serious about the clearance and skid plates?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Is that Cinnamon and Engineer pass?

I'm pretty sure you could drive a Subaru Outback up that one if you really wanted to. If I recall correctly there aren't any serious rocks/obstacles at all. Just shelf roads and cliffs that'll turn your sphincter into a decimal point.

Disclaimer: I could be thinking of an entirely different trail system though
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
My brother did cinnamon pass last year in a stock raptor w/o issue.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Stock raptor > stock tacoma.......
Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Is that Cinnamon and Engineer pass?
I

Yep, that's the one.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman01 View Post
Yep, that's the one.
Then you're totally fine in a stock Tacoma, IMO

Have you checked traildamage.com?

They are pretty dead on accurate with their write-ups and assessments.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
You'll be fine. I've seen a cutlass classic go over them.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Just to put things in perspective for me since the Tacoma is my first offroad vehicle.. I see all the time on Traildamage, and websites for certain trails like the Alpine Loop, that vehicles with "high clearance" are needed. But what constitutes high clearance the majority of the time? Is that just a way of saying passenger cars are out of luck, or does the stock Tacoma's 9" or so of clearance constitute "high clearance"?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
I used to work on the Loop saw a lot of rigs up there that suprised me.
The stock taco will be fine, tires would be my only concern. Make sure you have a spare.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Back from Colorado with my Taco. The trails were doable. But I can imagine scenarios where a large rain storm or big melts after a snow could wash out the trail and expose rocks.

While I was ok this time, I will definitely get an update on the conditions if I go again.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Back from Colorado with my Taco. The trails were doable. But I can imagine scenarios where a large rain storm or big melts after a snow could wash out the trail and expose rocks.

While I was ok this time, I will definitely get an update on the conditions if I go again.
Must be something wrong with my computer.

Your pictures aren't showing up for me...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

Yup, agreed. Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
When my Taco was stock, it basically laughed at any forest service road. The only time I got in trouble was when I went on spurs that had not been traveled in a while. It's surprising what a stock Taco can do. We've raised eyebrows during wheeling trips where somebody brought a stock truck but lo and behold, they made it through moderately tough OHV trails safely.

Pics?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
Yup, agreed. Pics or it didn't happen.
Tough crowd. I guess my credibility is under attack.

Wasn't able to snap pics on the hairier stretches. I was a big preoccupied with my oil pan being gored. But this should give you a sense. In the lower left of the 2nd pic, in front of the truck, is a big granite rock that is exposed. I went right over it. The last pic is the tundra at the summit of Engineer Pass.

My truck is 100% stock, right off the dealer lot.

I have a 4-cyl, 5-speed manual. In granny gear (4-LO), there didn't seem to be any hill that was too steep for it. Driving back east across Texas, I did 80mph, and still got 23 MPG.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I did the Alpine Loop last year in my stock 4x4 and Rugged Fails, no issues. A 2WD car could probably make it if you take the right lines.

The pic in my sig is from near the top of Bristol Head just southeast of Lake City toward Creede. That one was a little rougher, but still no big obstacles -- just some tight areas. There is an offshoot to Crystal Lake (I think that is what it is called) that is even tighter and steeper. I was impressed with the Tacoma's climbing capability, especially with crappy tires. But those 2 trails are the extent of my offroading experience.

Here's the thread from my trip: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...do-trails.html
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
I did the Alpine Loop last year in my stock 4x4 and Rugged Fails, no issues. A 2WD car could probably make it if you take the right lines.

The pic in my sig is from near the top of Bristol Head just southeast of Lake City toward Creede. That one was a little rougher, but still no big obstacles -- just some tight areas. There is an offshoot to Crystal Lake (I think that is what it is called) that is even tighter and steeper. I was impressed with the Tacoma's climbing capability, especially with crappy tires. But those 2 trails are the extent of my offroading experience.

Here's the thread from my trip: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...do-trails.html
Stunning photos. I wish I took more time to stop and snap more. We basically did the same trail. It was my 1st 4-wheeling experience and I was constantly worried about damaging my only means to take me 2000 miles back home.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Did you go into Engineer from Ouray? We took that route to run Poughkeepsie Gulch and the entrance is pretty cool. Fun gate keeper, like all trails should start.

All the trails in the loop with the exception of Poughkeepsie are stock friendly.

Even black bear if you got the balls and experience. Gotta be a bit crazy to do it in the rain
Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
mad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
mad monk's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post

that looks more like my speed. too bad nothing like that in the mid atlantic. might have to add a trip out west to my buck list.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Tough crowd. I guess my credibility is under attack.
Nah, just messing with you. I just always see the numerous pics taken when someone does the loop. Glad you had a good time, I've done it numerous times in different vehicles. Love that I only live 2.5 hours from the trail head in Lake City.

Alpine loop IMO is one of those things that you just have to do in life. Here's our secret camp spot Aug 10.. Notice the snow.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
Nah, just messing with you. I just always see the numerous pics taken when someone does the loop. Glad you had a good time, I've done it numerous times in different vehicles. Love that I only live 2.5 hours from the trail head in Lake City.

Alpine loop IMO is one of those things that you just have to do in life. Here's our secret camp spot Aug 10.. Notice the snow.

Holy shit I'm pretty sure that's the day we ran black bear. It was storming and snowing up top and pouring as we came down the steps. It was our second time getting snowed on on the trip.