Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

RESCUE NEEDED!! Anybody near Ridgecrest/395 in Eastern Cali??

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
RESCUE NEEDED!! Anybody near Ridgecrest/395 in Eastern Cali??

Quoted from facebook, TW member and friend Shane flopped his truck on it's side earlier this afternoon in the Death Valley, Trona area. Somehow, he was able to get it back on 4 wheels, but upon starting the truck it died after 5 seconds. I helped him diagnose it to be a hydro-lock from oil in the combustion chambers, he got the oil out, but now the truck wont start. He suspects the battery died, but we do not know if he has damaged the internals. Possibly need a tow truck, might just need a jump. He is completely alone, no passengers, no other vehicles with him.

He needs to get back home...anybody in that area willing to help out a fellow TW member?

If you can help, please PM me so I can contact him on facebook, since that seems to be his only form of communication at this point (oddly enough).

Quote:
117*10'26.55"W
35*59'56.0"N
Took a side road to a small mine off of South Park Canyon Rd., intersection is between bridge and narrow rough part between Windrose Rd. and first cabin.
Need a jump, possible tow. Batteries dead, possible internal engine damage.
Only have intermittent data connection, no call capability.
8 gallons of water, food for a few days.
Will check back here periodically. Bedding down for the night, may hike to Ballarat in the morning.
Quote:
I really, really miss my family.
I need to get home in time to take Matthew to Disneyland for his birthday on Tuesday. Not. Going. To. Miss. That.
Quote:
If you are taking steps to help me out, PLEASE let me know! Especially any info about any recovery efforts started on my behalf.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
bigbarlo is on a distinguished road

Name: Chan
bigbarlo's Tacoma Gallery
ttt
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck! I hope he gets some help.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Not the most practical way to check for frame rust.

Bump!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
ttt
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Smooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud of
Marines: 0331 / 0341
Name: G
Smooth Operator's Tacoma Gallery
Damn bro, good luck.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing fine, guys. Apparently there is a good-size SAR effort underway for my stupid ass.
I have plenty of food, water, clothes, gear, supplies. Just not a running truck. And I'm in an area with extremely difficult access for a single vehicle, so I can't envision how my truck is getting out of here short of a helicopter. Day temps are perfection (low '70*s), night temps are the same (low '50*s, maybe upper '40*s), so not too much worry about cooking or freezing to death......maybe starving, since when I get into similar situations all of my focus is on anything *but* eating.
HUGE PROPS to Matt- he has literally been my lifeline here, and I'm leaning on him the most.
To answer your question/confusion, I'm sticking with Facebook for two reasons: I don't have good cell service and I want to try to keep my phone battery fresh (=less time on it), and I know Matt's got my ass covered. I'm keeping texting to only those who are closest to me or who can provide the most help......hence only family and Matt (maybe Brad later).
After a good, warm night's sleep, I'm now packing one of my packs, and prepping the truck to leave it behind, so that I can hike to Ballarat (~8 miles away). I expect to intercept on my way a few locals coming to my aid.
I'll keep everyone posted when I get home and more properly diagnose the issue. In the meantime, assume I'm fine and my truck is not.

This is turning out to be a live test of my prepping abilities. So far, I'm passing with flying colors!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Best of luck to you man.. you seem prepared and i hope the damage is repairable.. at least you're ok!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

Hang tough Shane. We are on it.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #13

I will go but 2wd might not make it to him.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #16

tom don't have your number check your pm
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Was he trying to turn around or did he come down that gulch area. Looks like his passenger front got to high up the mountain?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #18

Shane if you see this. Stay by your vehicle.