Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Death Valley "Cabin Run" 2/28 - 3/2 AAR

Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Death Valley "Cabin Run" 2/28 - 3/2 AAR

The trip turned out great although we felt the wrath of Mother Nature!

On the way out to Death Valley the weather was not bad.

Pulled into Ballarat and got a couple of beers from Rocky.

The town has some history for sure.

Then we headed up Pleasant Canyon.

We rolled up to Clair Camp. Clair Camp is near the site of Henry Ratcliff's Never Give Up Mine and the Montgomery brothers' World Beater Mine, both of which began in 1896. In 1930, a man named W.D. Clair bought the Ratcliff Mine and began to work the tailings, successfully bringing out another 60,000 in gold ore. At that time, the site took the name of Clair Camp.

Then we headed to World Beater but unfortunately it was already occupied.

We ended up taking refuge down in one of Claire's outbuildings. (No photos due to the weather) The first night it stormed in Biblical proportions. We had incredible rain, almost horizontal sleet and ice (due to the winds coming off the mountain side), we even had a few snowflakes.

Placeholder...much more to come.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome trip. Thanks for organizing Charlie. subbed for thread updates.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery

Steve went on a morning run

He proceeded to seize the hill and completed his recon mission

As he was heading back some MX guys came rolling around the lower shelf road

The storm left a small lake on the flats

We made it to our camp for the second night via the valley. (Cabin photos will not be posted, you had to be there.)

We all agreed that the Chicken Pass ledge was too risky due to the high level of rainfall the night before. But the group decided to hike up to the area on foot to survey the trail.

The night came and around the fire good times were had.

Next morning we took a side trail to Suitcase Mine - this turned out to be the hardest switchback trail I have ever seen. So I took it and Steve (BJMoose) followed with his reg cab and had to perform some five point turns!
I had to drive backwards at every other switch back because I could not turn the truck around at the switch back points. It was more of a mule trail.

The best part of the trip is still to come - stay subbed....
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
sirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sirhk100's Tacoma Gallery
I'm jealous! Would love to tag along on a trip like this but my exploring vehicle is literally a ford exploder. My tacoma connection is a 2wd race truck. Some people are picky about mixing breeds! LOL The expo is on 35's, lockers front and rear, setup pretty nice...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
jc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjc1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Veteran Submariner MM2(SS) (Nuclear Machinist's Mate/Engineering Laboratory Technician)
Name: Jason
jc1980's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 03-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
nice pictures. this place is definitely on the bucket list
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
nice pictures. this place is definitely on the bucket list
I definitely agree. The mining part reminds me of Colorado a little bit. Awesome pictures you guys. I am jealous of your trip; it looks like a blast.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely loving the pics!