1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Mexico Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'South West' started by twistax, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    Sick Gnar Trophy Truck Tacoma and King Ranch Raptor Killer
    or even motiva?

2. Mar 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    Ariyan

Ariyan Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    SAS, 40s, and some armor.
    I've heard of High velocity, they do MX shocks also.

3. Mar 9, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    desert rat told me to go to the shops for UTVs, Quads, ect. a friend a bobby js said they couldnt and RNS was a no, ill try high velocity and 4 wheel and hope for the best, hope it doesnt break the bank

4. Mar 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    Ariyan

Ariyan Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    Does anyone near ABQ have a plasma cutter I'd be able to borrow this summer for a weekend? I am thinking of building a bumper but a grinder is to much work. Lol

5. Mar 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM
    MojaveMadman

MojaveMadman Cali Raised LED

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Not sure anyone will let you take their expensive equipment home with you... I know mine was $1300 and that doesn't count consumables and wear and tear. If you made templates and brought them over I am sure we could make a deal with a little compensation. I could also help you with CAD drawings if you took the time to make good enough templates. Then we could have the whole thing CNC plasma or laser cut. May sound a little expensive but I assure you the time savings is worth it.

Also, I say this to everyone who wants to build a bumper, DONT DO IT! Take it from a guy who has built a handful and been fabing for over 15 years. You will NOT save money by doing it yourself. 3/16 plate is expensive, almost $80 for a 2' x 4' sheet, you will need 3. You will need another of 1/4" for mounts and winch mounting. You will need a few misc. things for stuff like shackle plates, light mounts, skid plates, etc. Then there is welding supplies. I go through $100 in welding gas and another $70 in welding wire. Wear and tear on the welder. Electricity, sanding disks (10 even with my plasma in hand). Then keep in mind you will spend 60 - 100 hours on this thing. What is your time worth? At this rate it's about $6 hr on the high end.

Building your own bumper gets you one thing, a custom looking bumper. But for most people that is it. The quality will be less than a store bought one unless you have years and years of experience and a shop full of tools. I just built 3 bumpers for some guys on here and I didn't make any money... I broke even and if you add up my time I probably lost money... Sorry for the long rant... But seriously just buy one, pick your color and bolt it on! If you need help with install or you want to some simple modifications to it then let me know and I can help!

6. Mar 14, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    This is the truth people. If anyone wants something talk to Chris and I. We have the tools and a good chunk of the material on hand that we already lost money on by buying in the 1st place. I have 8 bumpers and about 16 sets of sliders out there and on the 1st handful I lost almost 300 buck a piece in just cost of my labor. Even on the most recent ones I made about enough to take my wife out to dinner. Not worth it to do yourself once the cost of tools gets factored in.

Again if you need Custom work talk to me and Chris before hand to see if we can possibly help. Other than that save your pennies for a little longer and order something that can be bolted on.

7. Mar 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    Ariyan

Ariyan Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    it has nothing to do with the cost of a bumper, I can not find any bumper I like, I have plenty of experience building them but had to sell my plasma when I moved. I'll just do it when I visit a friend in CO.

8. Mar 15, 2015 at 4:09 AM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    We're not trying to discourage you from building one. Just laying it out there for everyone. I do not have a plasma but I know of several places around town that do that you might be able to talk to or bring the design to and they can shoot it out real quick.

9. Mar 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    Okay everyone. So the reason for the separate post from above......I have a question and need some input from those here.

When traveling and heading out camping, would you rent a fully stocked trailer with RTT or rather sleepin a ground tent. Such as the canyon run coming up. If you had the option to rent a trailer, would you?

Why, why not, reasons for both???

10. Mar 15, 2015 at 5:49 AM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Same as WhiteCloud said. Didn't say no completely, just don't feel comfortable letting someone take my brand new $1300 Miller plasma home with them. Make templates and come by and cut them. Shoot me a couple bucks for electricity and tips for the plasma and I'm happy to help.

I still think you should take your factory one off and make a nice template from some thin cheap wood. Then I can draft it up for you and we can have it all CNC cut. Then your just putting together the puzzle, haha.

11. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    for a quick weekend I would rent a trailer with a RTT because I can access everything I need quickly in one area rather than stuffing everything in the bed/cab. But for more frequent trips say couple times a month or more then I would spend my money on something from Sportsmobile 4x4 like this.... everything I need conveniently in one mobile home. its a go off the grid home on wheels! 6 inch solid axel lift on a Ford E-250 platform!
    2lmuye0_cea583e3ac674bca5eade99ce8c2326598e482e1.jpg

12. Mar 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    anyone have a first gen taco light bulb retainer clip to hold the bulb in the headlight housing? its that dumb little metal clip i lost so i have no passenger headlight lol

13. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    Yeah that is the plan maybe make a couple simple ones and rent them for some weekend stuff. But I do agree for week long plus stuff ^^^^ that would be a better option. But the question is that if I build them would some of you want to use them over a ground tent?

Should be ready to mount everything to the skid today or tomorrow. What color do you guys think? Ashley wants pink but I also have some red laying around too?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mar 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    1 vote for pink!

15. Mar 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    X2 :D

16. Mar 17, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad

17. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    2 tone white an pink!

18. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    Charlene

Charlene Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    97' T4R
    Hey guys I'm brand new to the forum but I am coming from T4R. This maybe random but I am looking for someone to help me with my lift instal on my 97' 4runner that I just finished piecing together. I will be in RR the 20th through the 27th and am curious if any of you guys would be willing to help. Any help would be awesome, thanks, Andrew. Shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  19. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:02 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    I have too many Toyotas...
    Everything... and a bag of Cheetos.
    Andrew,

I'm still looking at my schedule to see if I can help you out, but at a minimum I would recommend that you be prepared for others to help. Specifically, I would say that you should evaluate your tools and know what you have and what you need. Also, make sure that you stop by AutoZone, etc. and rent a set of spring compressors so that you can assemble the front suspension.

Make sure you have access to jack stands, and have the 4Runner safely jacked up and supported on jack stands prior to help arriving so that people can get right down to business.

Also, make sure that you have arranged to perform the work at a location where you can leave the 4Runner as-is overnight in case you run into problems (missing a part, tool, broken/sheared bolts, etc.).

Long story short, think it through and make sure you have all your bases covered and that you're making it as easy as possible on your help.

20. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM
    Charlene

Charlene Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    97' T4R

Yea I am still trying to get all the tools together. The only issue I am having is trying to find someone who can weld. I have a few things that need to be welded. I realize you all are busy men, I am just trying to get this done while I am back home for the week, but if I have to wait then it's definitely better safe than sorry and ruining something on the truck. Also Tuesday won't work because I am going with the NMGF to stock Cutthroats in Questa

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top