Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Southeast Overland

Notices

My Lifetime LED Headlight Review

Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Will work for Lockers!
loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Petty Officer
Name: Phil
loco's Tacoma Gallery
My Lifetime LED Headlight Review

First and foremost I would like to thank Steve and the crew at Southeast Overland for the great deal, fast shipping and top notch customer service! I have ordered many an item from SEO and have visted the shop in person. Steve gave me some great training on splicing winch line and walked me through a ton of techniques that I have stored in my noggin in case I ever need to do some trail surgery on a winch line! So please give them a shot! You won't be disappointed.

So now onto the headlight kit. I already have a Lifetime LED light bar and think they make a good product at a good price. These headlights were no different! The fit and finish of the bulbs, driver and wiring were all very high quality. Lots of billet used and very nice black finish of everything.

Package looks like this upon arrival.

Here is a side by side of the driver next to an old HID SLIM ballast I had to give a little perspective on size.

So install of these on the Tacoma is completely plug and play but is not what I would call a 5 minute job. A couple of folks here had stated that they just went right in and I think they either bypassed a few details or forced some stuff in place. To make this clear you MUST remove the washer fluid reservoir and slack the battery inboard to be able to get them in. If you disagree then you are a ham fister or didn't use the rubber covers.

Those folks with dual batteries should just stop reading now...not going to work. The fans just stick way to far out. I will be swapping to a group 31 battery soon and think I am going to clear but it's going to be close.

So the good: the light output is easily twice as much as halogen, the cutoff is clean and they aren't blue. I really appreciate these 3 goods. I'm not going for a rice burner fast and furious rock crawler so the color and light output are perfect for the real world. The fact that the cutoff is so clean is going to keep everyone else on the road happy too.

And of course there is some bad: these bulbs are super heavy! While that may not seem like a problem it is. Basically these H4 bulbs are held in by a small swinging clip that puts a little tension on the back of the plate in the housing... this is where all the weight is supported and on a normal H4 halogen it works well. On these it acts as a fulcrum since there is so much wieght on either side and the bulbs are a bit bouncy inside the housing. ***UPDATE*** I was thinking I would have had a good amount of light bounce but I hit some pretty rouch roqds this morning on my way to work and there was none! They really surprised me when they stayed rock solid. So my only con is a non issue in my book now but worth mentioning.

Bottom line- I am really happy with my purchase! I would absolutely buy these again and recommend them to anyone looking for more light without wanting a Retrofit. These are just what I was wanting. Don't want the hassles of a Retrofit and won't run HID on the street without a retrofit. These give me more light without having any side effects like water intrusion in my headlight, blinding oncoming traffic and being a weird blue color! I absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for more light without wanting a retrofit.

Some photos of the lights with them on

And with my light bar on, note the color difference. The bar is very blue IMO.

Hope this helps some folks that were on the fence about buying these just like I was. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
One of my jeep buddies just ordered a set from a Facebook vendor, interesting concept, looks good though!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
rbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Retired MMCS/SS
Name: Randy
rbraddock's Tacoma Gallery
So the all important question: given what you now know would you buy again?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Will work for Lockers!
loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbraddock View Post
So the all important question: given what you now know would you buy again?
Absolutely! In fact I have them locked to my radiator to keep you from stealing them while I'm down range!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do they have high beams?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
rbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbraddock is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Retired MMCS/SS
Name: Randy
rbraddock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Absolutely! In fact I have them locked to my radiator to keep you from stealing them while I'm down range!
But I'll have a battery tray and gas tank skif
Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Finally a good/actual review. Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Do they have high beams?
Yes. It's lightning fast and bright too! Gonna make the next jerk who cuts off my tank really unhappy with life when these start flashing and the light bar go on...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbraddock View Post
But I'll have a battery tray and gas tank skif
Hahahaha!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
RAGEAHOLIC
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: HARRISON
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review. second good one so far. looks like ill be trying them.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. It's lightning fast and bright too! Gonna make the next jerk who cuts off my tank really unhappy with life when these start flashing and the light bar go on...
What moves to create the high beam?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Finally a good/actual review. Thanks
Thank you. I don't do a whole ton of product reviews/tech write ups but when I do I try my best to keep others from being confused or frustrated by conflicting info.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What moves to create the high beam?
Nothing moves! There are 2 cree LEDs on each light. One is angled for low beam and the other for high beam. They work exactly like a halogen H4. No relays nothing. That driver box plugs right into the stock socket and then straight into the bulb. Much simpler than an HID setup!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nothing moves! There are 2 cree LEDs on each light. One is angled for low beam and the other for high beam! They work exactly like a halogen H4! No relays nothing! That driver box plugs right into the stock socket and then straight into the bulb! Much simpler than an HID setup!
Awesome! Thanks for the review
Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First and foremost I would like to thank Steve and the crew at Southeast Overland for the great deal, fast shipping and top notch customer service! I have ordered many an item from SEO and have visted the shop in person. Steve gave me some great training on splicing winch line and walked me through a ton of techniques that I have stored in my noggin in case I ever need to do some trail surgery on a winch line! So please give them a shot! You won't be disappointed.

So now onto the headlight kit. I already have a Lifetime LED light bar and think they make a good product at a good price. These headlights were no different! The fit and finish of the bulbs, driver and wiring were all very high quality. Lots of billet used and very nice black finish of everything.

Package looks like this upon arrival.

Here is a side by side of the driver next to an old HID SLIM ballast I had to give a little perspective on size.

So install of these on the Tacoma is completely plug and play but is not what I would call a 5 minute job. A couple of folks here had stated that they just went right in and I think they either bypassed a few details or forced some stuff in place. To make this clear you MUST remove the washer fluid reservoir and slack the battery inboard to be able to get them in. If you disagree then you are a ham fister or didn't use the rubber covers.

Those folks with dual batteries should just stop reading now...not going to work. The fans just stick way to far out. I will be swapping to a group 31 battery soon and think I am going to clear but it's going to be close.

So the good: the light output is easily twice as much as halogen, the cutoff is clean and they aren't blue. I really appreciate these 3 goods. I'm not going for a rice burner fast and furious rock crawler so the color and light output are perfect for the real world. The fact that the cutoff is so clean is going to keep everyone else on the road happy too.

And of course there is some bad: these bulbs are super heavy! While that may not seem like a problem it is. Basically these H4 bulbs are held in by a small swinging clip that puts a little tension on the back of the plate in the housing... this is where all the weight is supported and on a normal H4 halogen it works well. On these it acts as a fulcrum since there is so much wieght on either side and the bulbs are a bit bouncy inside the housing. Not horrible or enough to make me not want to use them but on a bumpy road they're going to bounce.

Bottom line- I am really happy with my purchase! These are just what I was wanting. Don't want the hassles of a Retrofit and won't run HID on the street without a retrofit. These give me more light without having any side effects like water intrusion in my headlight, blinding oncoming traffic and being a weird blue color! I absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for more light without wanting a retrofit.

Some photos of the lights with them on

And with my light bar on, note the color difference. The bar is very blue IMO.

Hope this helps some folks that were on the fence about buying these just like I was. Feel free to ask questions.
Quote:
Thank you. I don't do a whole ton of product reviews/tech write ups but when I do I try my best to keep others from being confused or frustrated by conflicting info.
Good write up. The only thing I wish you had were some before shots of the factory headlights. Kind of a type of before and after. Good information though. Nice to see a good action shot.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the review
Sorry about going !!! Crazy there. Hit the wrong button on my phone a few too many times.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Good write up. The only thing I wish you had were some before shots of the factory headlights. Kind of a type of before and after. Good information though. Nice to see a good action shot.
I thought about doing that but I had already seen a photo with that on their website and didn't think to do it for everyone else...being selfish man sorry.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
RAGEAHOLIC
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: HARRISON
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Loadedtaco (pete) did a video review on youtube. It has the halogen vs the led in video and such. Good review if you need another one with more info.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
Will work for Lockers!

loco's Tacoma Gallery
Also if I can pull it off I'm going to try and get a truck with a retrofit and a stock halogen setup side by side with mine to do an against the wall comparison.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Have you had a chance to run these for a couple hours yet? Worried about them getting hot on long trips and possibly doing damage to the headlights