Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Southeast Overland

Notices

Hammock Suspension System

Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods
SoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
SoutheastOverland's Tacoma Gallery
Hammock Suspension System

Well we've caught the hammock bug - so why not make a Hammock Suspension System out of Amsteel Blue? It is very light, stretches very little, and is very strong.

We have started a new folder in our Photo Gallery for these pics. See it HERE.

Here are a couple of pics too from the gallery.

Beginnings of a Hammock Suspension System. There are many options on the market, so we are trying to design our own system. We are receiving assistance from a professional stand-up paddle boarder who specializes in expedition trips.

Hammock Gathering Line made out of Amsteel Blue.

Hammock Gathering Line installed. We removed a fair amount of line from the prototype to tighten/shorten it up.

What our Hammock Gathering Line replaced.

A 7/64" soft shackle to replace traditional carabiners.

Soft shackle opened.

We have more pics to come as we develop more pieces of this kit.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. Looks like it would go well with a henessy hammock. I especially like the soft shackle.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Sub
Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
RacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Are these on the website yet? Also, whats the purpose of the metal ring? Can you not use the soft shackle directly on the gathering line?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Dangerdave is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
So since y'all are working on a new suspension system here is food for thought.

I'm a wilderness guide and so that means that I spend more than half my year backpacking. Summer time I use a hammock to sleep (winter it's just too cold to make it work). I've always wondered if there was a suspension system that could be developed that will hold the hammock as well as serve as a midline for the tarp above the hammock. A friend of mine developed one but it was way too complicated and so I never pursued it myself.

Currently I just use static climbing rope to hang my hammock. But if you could find a way to make the suspension system all one piece that would be handy to have.

Also, I may just be complicating something that needs to stay simple haha.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
jwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud ofjwinky has much to be proud of

Name: John
jwinky's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods
SoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Sweet. Looks like it would go well with a henessy hammock. I especially like the soft shackle.
The soft shackles are neat. We have used them for awhile for recovery but these are quite miniaturized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarGuy View Post
Are these on the website yet? Also, whats the purpose of the metal ring? Can you not use the soft shackle directly on the gathering line?
These aren't on the website yet. We are still testing and refining the design. I'm currently focusing on making the components as small and compact as possible.

You can use a soft shackle directly but the metal ring serves as a "drip ring" to shed water coming down the main suspension line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdave View Post
So since y'all are working on a new suspension system here is food for thought.

I'm a wilderness guide and so that means that I spend more than half my year backpacking. Summer time I use a hammock to sleep (winter it's just too cold to make it work). I've always wondered if there was a suspension system that could be developed that will hold the hammock as well as serve as a midline for the tarp above the hammock. A friend of mine developed one but it was way too complicated and so I never pursued it myself.

Currently I just use static climbing rope to hang my hammock. But if you could find a way to make the suspension system all one piece that would be handy to have.

Also, I may just be complicating something that needs to stay simple haha.
A line to hang a tarp is part of this design. Pics to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhite View Post
I'm waiting
We cranking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Pricing?
Pricing will come once the design is finished and we can figure how much material and time we will have in each product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinky View Post
Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
C'mon already!!!

Seriously, I need to see this.. and pricing.. so that I can go ahead and get the wife ready to deal with me spending some more money on my truck
Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Any updates?
Still working on it - testing out hardware now.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Still no update?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdave View Post
Still no update?
Fall wheeling season is upon us and we are swamped keeping up with our current products in production. The hammock system is still sitting on our splicing bench and will be completed as soon as we can devote some time to it. Thanks and sorry for the wait.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
No worries just my need for instant gratification haha
Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods
Steve is supposed to be working on this right now, keep your eyes out for updates!

Here is a teaser

~Jeff
Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
I spy msr tent stakes, webbing, and some other goodies.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods
We have an update!

Here is the first version of our Southeast Overland Hammock Suspension System! Pricing is to come. Color availability will be orange to start.

This system is currently being tested both by us and also by a professional stand up paddle boarder who specializes in water based expeditions. We have made several revisions to the Hammock Suspension System even over the past couple of days and will keep refining the system to make it better. Sales should start within 1-2 weeks.

Who is ready to order????

In use pics are to come. I've been trying the system out and like it a lot. Also tarp ridge lines and tarp guy lines are in the works but will be a month out or so.

Basic system that will be available as individual pieces.

Hammock Slings adjustable from 26" to 7' long.

Hammock Loops that replace the factory gathering pieces on your stock hammock. The ones we decided upon for production are a little shorter than what you see in the last to pics (installed pics) above.

Soft Shackles of 7/64" Amsteel Blue. These are very light weight and very strong and quite packable. They can be used to join the Hammock Loops to the Hammock Slings or the Hammock Slings to the Tree Huggers - or can be used to join many other pieces too.

Tree Huggers are very basic 1" x 10' webbing tied and used to attach to a tree or other anchor point.

Large Soft Shackles (see next pics) measure 16" long and are great for attaching to roll bars or other larger attachment points.

Large Soft Shackle in use around a roll bar.

Likey?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods
We hope to have some pictures of our system in use shortly!

~Jeff