Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Big Bear Trails

Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Big Bear Trails

Ive been doing alot of trails in big bear. mild to wild. thought id share because im proud of my "yoda"

If anyone wants to hit up some trails up here let me know...

heres some pictures of Gold Mountain trail ( i went on this trail with sparky from TTORA on BB takeover weekend)

EDIT: I would like to turn this thread into a thread of descriptions and ratings of trails in Big Bear, CA

As i continue to do trails here, i will update. This will give people a general idea of what to expect... as i do trails more i will add/ update pictures with details and changes...

Couple pictures of Gold Mountain Trail (3N69) Intermediate- Difficult skids and slider recommended. 31" tires and rear locker, lsd, or TRAC (open/open will not make it)

Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Dishpan Springs Trail (3N34) Difficult full protection recommended (skids, sliders) lift, 32" tires, rear locker or TRAC as a minimum.

Several very technical rocky areas with steep climbs. Don't go alone. You will likely use your skids and sliders. pick your tire placement carefully. This trail is all down hill east to west and much easier. West to east is a challenge.

A nice swimming area at the West trail head.

click for vid...^^^^
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Shinty Killer
Gabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Gabe
Gabex35's Tacoma Gallery
how is it up there in the winter?

Just got my 4x4 and want to introduce it to as many different terrains as possible as soon as possible
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
dam that is some crazy crap.....
sucks about the damage tho
Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Gold Mountain is a fun trail. I did Burns Canyon through Holcomb Valley this weekend with the family.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
T-REX
ninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
ninorth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ninorth Send a message via Yahoo to ninorth
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
Gold Mountain is a fun trail. I did Burns Canyon through Holcomb Valley this weekend with the family.

I did burns canyon fri and Sun this weekend with my family and friends. (getting away from the heat and when up to Big Bear)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninorth View Post
I did burns canyon fri and Sun this weekend with my family and friends. (getting away from the heat and when up to Big Bear)

Nice. It was a nice day up there. Lots of Toyotas running around.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn , those trails look fun, Hmm I'm not that far away (maybe 100 miles or so) I'm going to have to hit you guys up for a tour of the place in the near future, haven't been to Big Bear in years !!!

Nice rocker damage, I don't feel so bad now !!
Attached Thumbnails
Big Bear Trails-web-web-dsc01139trd.jpg   Big Bear Trails-web-dsc01123.jpg   Big Bear Trails-web-dsc01127.jpg   Big Bear Trails-web-dsc01131.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Damn , those trails look fun, Hmm I'm not that far away (maybe 100 miles or so) I'm going to have to hit you guys up for a tour of the place in the near future, haven't been to Big Bear in years !!!

Nice rocker damage, I don't feel so bad now !!
i started a thread for a camping trip. not this weekend but next... its in the socal section

PS: yea def dont feel bad for your damage. my trucks a 2010!!! lol

i bought it to abuse. i didnt lose any sleep
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #10

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Tip Top Mountain Trail (2N90) Beginner - Intermediate Stock 4x4 ok. 30" tires, at least C load range recommended due to sharp rocks. sharp rocks with pretty steep drop offs on the trail make for a little hairy ride. Few intermediate rocky section. skilled driver in an open/open 4x4 should make it no problem

View of Johnson valley and of burns cyn from tiptop

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #11

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Jacoby Canyon Trail (3N61) Beginner - Intermediate stock 4x4 with 31" tires ok. few narrow sections but nothing too bad

Old 10-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to get my map and see where these are. Are these up in the Fawnskin area or closer to Arrowhead? Nice pics and good writeup.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #13

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
I'll have to get my map and see where these are. Are these up in the Fawnskin area or closer to Arrowhead? Nice pics and good writeup.
all over!!! lol 3N34 runs from arrowhead to 3N16 (holcomb valley trail) all the way to Jacoby which is on the other side of big bear. Cross 18 to 3N03 (burns canyon and it goes all the way to Yucca valley...

many of the trails are concentrated around north side of big bear lake. (fawnskin, north shore) but also go down to green valley and back up to big pine flats...
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #14

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Also, There are tons of prerunner friendly trails. especially those on the south side of the lake...
Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I camp on the South side usually around August for about 9 days. That area has nice dirt roads but not like the pics you posted. Seems those harder trails are where you said, on the North side. They close the South side in the winter.

Everybody remember, tread lightly and respect the yellow post campers...in other words, don't get my bacon dusty.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Bear Trails-big-bear-07-00011.jpg   Big Bear Trails-big-bear-07-00022.jpg   Big Bear Trails-big-bear-2-25-06-00019.jpg   Big Bear Trails-big-bear-07-00029.jpg   Big Bear Trails-big-bear-07-00037.jpg  

Big Bear Trails-big-bear-07-00019.jpg   Big Bear Trails-big-bear-2-25-06-00024.jpg   Big Bear Trails-captured-2004-4-12-00000.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Niles19 is on a distinguished road

Niles19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Ive been doing alot of trails in big bear. mild to wild. thought id share because im proud of my "yoda"

If anyone wants to hit up some trails up here let me know...

heres some pictures of Gold Mountain trail ( i went on this trail with sparky from TTORA on BB takeover weekend)

EDIT: I would like to turn this thread into a thread of descriptions and ratings of trails in Big Bear, CA

As i continue to do trails here, i will update. This will give people a general idea of what to expect... as i do trails more i will add/ update pictures with details and changes...

Couple pictures of Gold Mountain Trail (3N69) Intermediate- Difficult skids and slider recommended. 31" tires and rear locker, lsd, or TRAC (open/open will not make it)

Not trying to be cocking at all but, I've made it through Gold Moutain and John Bull and Holcomb creek with 4x4 and open diffs espeically Gold Mountain. It was with a 85 straight axle like in my gallery pics. If you know how to drive you can make it. Don't get me wrong, I just don't want people to read this and think you can't make it through at least Gold Mountain without a locker at least attempt it, it's fun.(imo you are building up the trail) no hard feeling.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #17

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles19 View Post
Not trying to be cocking at all but, I've made it through Gold Moutain and John Bull and Holcomb creek with 4x4 and open diffs espeically Gold Mountain. It was with a 85 straight axle like in my gallery pics. If you know how to drive you can make it. Don't get me wrong, I just don't want people to read this and think you can't make it through at least Gold Mountain without a locker at least attempt it, it's fun.(imo you are building up the trail) no hard feeling.

so "like" the one in your pics? the one with 5-6" lift, solid axles, 35s?

this is mainly a forum of people who offroad tacomas. with ifs articulation you will need some sort of traction aid in at least one axle...

also, trails change all the time... when was the last time youve done this trail? from the last trip i did it was pretty tough... my description/ recommendations are based on opinion/experience... the recommendations are also not as tough as TTORA's recommendations for the trail... i just want to let people know what to expect. if your an amazing driver you can do john bull in 2wd (marlin from marlin crawlers did) is it recommended? no
Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #18

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
White Mountain Trail (3N17) Beginner - Intermediate - Difficult

Going from west to east this trail can be difficult due to numerous rocky climbs requiring 4x4 31" tires, skids, sliders and some traction aid in one axle (locker,lsd, Trac)

From east to west it can be done in a 2wd since it is all downhill. it is fairly easy but does take knowing you vehicle. I rated beginner because vehicle requirements are no much, but consider intermediate because it is not a trail to be traversed if it is your first time offroad or not familiar with the vehicle yet...

View atop White Mtn.

A trail shot

Stolen from Rasko, as you can see going down (east-west) is fine but up would require 4x4 and good traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
Just wanna share some pics I took yesterday on a ride on some trails near Big Bear.

This is where it got scary for me, but I had no choice so I went for it.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
Niles19 is on a distinguished road

Niles19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
so "like" the one in your pics? the one with 5-6" lift, solid axles, 35s?

this is mainly a forum of people who offroad tacomas. with ifs articulation you will need some sort of traction aid in at least one axle...

also, trails change all the time... when was the last time youve done this trail? from the last trip i did it was pretty tough... my description/ recommendations are based on opinion/experience... the recommendations are also not as tough as TTORA's recommendations for the trail... i just want to let people know what to expect. if your an amazing driver you can do john bull in 2wd (marlin from marlin crawlers did) is it recommended? no
You have a point if everyone is IFS with that articulation it is tuff, but gold mountain can be done with IFS easily IMO, your right trails change. I was part or TTORA back when I still had the 85 now I want to build a desert truck with my 5 lugger. I was on that trip I think? When Marlin did it in 2wd in his 79-83 truck, it was pretty cool. Good luck with your build A reg cab 4x4 is the perfect platform for a trail rig
Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #20

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles19 View Post
You have a point if everyone is IFS with that articulation it is tuff, but gold mountain can be done with IFS easily IMO, your right trails change. I was part or TTORA back when I still had the 85 now I want to build a desert truck with my 5 lugger. I was on that trip I think? When Marlin did it in 2wd in his 79-83 truck, it was pretty cool. Good luck with your build A reg cab 4x4 is the perfect platform for a trail rig
thanks! sorry if i came across brash, not my intention... hard to tell emotional response through text...

i did gold mountain with my ifs... doable, but if i didnt have the TRAC (auto lsd f/r) i dont think i would have made it. the two main rocky sections are very "dug out" from people spinning. the second rocky section is a series of diagonal "shelfs" i didnt get a pic but it took me 3 tries to make it. It took "sparky" from ttora 2 tries and he has 33s,3" lift, rear locker, and crawl box. That is why i asked when the last time you did the run. sparky said it was harder this year than last...