1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 BAJA 1000 nov 18th...Who is going??

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Rakso, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Doug,

No, he was at a pit for Team TSCO... they had a hotel in San Felipe for Wednesday and tonight...

Their pit is at Race Mile 223 (Check Point 3) about 35 miles south of San Felipe. He was with his boss (Ivan Stewart's son Craig of Raceworks) and others. They were pitting for at least 3 vehicles that they prepped at the Lakeside/ Santee shop.

I only know of the one Trophy Truck #9 (Gary Weyhrich) TSCO Truck... and when I last looked a few minutes ago (at the live race tracking map), they were in SECOND PLACE about 600 miles south, nearing San Juanico (Scorpion Bay)... doing 96 mph!

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    11:27
    DIRTnewz: Right now, tracking info shows:

#21 Tavo Vildosola RM 711
    #8 Roger Norman RM 703
    #1 Robby Gordon
    #9 Gary Weyrich RM 677
    #97 BJ Baldwin
    #3 Mark Post

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    1103 has had a dead battery at RM161 :( But the chase crew is on its way

4. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Check the live tracking map:

http://irctracking.com/2010/Baja1000/South/ our man Gary Weyhrich (#9) is in second place (position on map). Robby Gordon is way back.

5. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    He is in 3rd

Norman's TT (#8) is under the Pirate 4x4 Tab

Gordon stopped or something and everyone passed him

6. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks... I am going to sleep and hope Team TSCO (incl. #9) did good when I check in the morning!

7. Nov 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch
    Vehicle:
    06 Black Crew Cab TRD SPORT 33' KM2
    DR coils, camburg UCA's, procomp AAL, 285' BfG km2 Mud Terrains, Double Din touchscreen stereo, Kicker 12' sub behind seat with 800watt amp and custom box,Flowmaster Exhaust, cb radio, race/ 2m radio, crossfab lightbar, 3 9' procomp motorsport halogens. Intake coming soon. Also have custom 6 foot flagpole to represent my charger flag on!
    Hey guys. Me and rakso ended up finding each other in the middle of nowhere in ojos. Had a fun time my girl enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next race!

8. Nov 20, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Wow!! I am BEAT!

We started the Baja at in the mid afternoon. I was co-driver in car 1103. Raced the first ~108 miles. It was so cool going through the streets and through the crowds of cheering fans. Then there was the phase of having tunnel vision on the GPS to keep us going without flying off course.

Then driver change. About 75 miles later we over hear the Weatherman that 1103 was stuck on the race course with a bad clutch. We were in our chase truck 5 hours away.

We took the chase truck on a 2 hour 'short cut' through a 4wd trail. By the time we got there it was about midnight.

We found the truck stuck on a very sanding part of the track with a tow vehicle nearly stuck trying to pull the car off the course.

We worked on pulling the car off the race course (the car's tires and this section of track were like glue together!-5 guys couldn't push the car down hill). About 40 minutes later we were on hard pack. We then towed the car to a pit and we worked on rewiring the alternator - it nearly fell out. Then it was time to try to get this party restarted...

At 3:30, after trying everything we could, we decided there was no way we were going to get the motor started again. Oh did I mention that the engine lost 3 qts of oil during the last 65 miles? :eek:!

Overall the last couple of months wrenching and prepping, pre-running and race were an experience of a lifetime!

The coolest part of it all was the support and cheering for the Class 11 cars! When we would drive through, the crowd was cheering, yelling and giving us the Volkswagen hand sign. :) We were later told by our chase peeps that other than Terrible and Ivan, the stock bugs were the crowds favorite. Too bad we couldn't bottle that up and put it in the engine!!! :)

The other crazy thing were the few drunk nationals that wanted drivers to f up. There were parts that we pre-ran fine and now were all f'd up. Boulders on the track, sharp rocks under tame tree branches, changing of trail markers, people waving you to go off course or off drop offs... One kid was about to throw a volley ball sized rock at us - he was looking at his dad for approval that never came.

Come on Bill and Melinda, get on with my adoption or lets get this economy rocking! I would love to put a team together to rock this race!!!

I will have photos and some more highlights like the BMW 3 series with an M3 motor from Chicago that was a bare shell at the SEMA show or the Giant M class Oshkosh diesel electric trucks...

9. Nov 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    Paul, glad you are ok. Ed and i have been worried about you. We saw from the tracking that the car was stopped. Glad you're ok buddy!!!

10. Nov 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    "The other crazy thing were the few drunk nationals that wanted drivers to f up. There were parts that we pre-ran fine and now were all f'd up. Boulders on the track, sharp rocks under tame tree branches, changing of trail markers, people waving you to go off course or off drop offs... One kid was about to throw a volley ball sized rock at us - he was looking at his dad for approval that never came."
    quote from HB Murphy

See, THIS IS EXACTLY the kind of shit I was talking about, maybe if a couple of these stupid fucks got creamed on the course the others would wise up , but I doubt it... So one of their own finally put one in the winner's circle, about time, ya finally won one on your own turf after being punked year after fucking year, Well amigo, enjoy it cause smart money says you'll never see it again

oh yeah," viva exico'....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Nov 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    :woot:

Joe Bacal!

12. Nov 20, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Great time you had Paul! Looks like you got the bug for off road racing! Remember we are ready to assist... Looking for better economic times! Elizabeth's son was pitting for Team TSCO (TT #9, Gary Weyhrich and others) south of San Felipe with Ivan Stewart's son (his boss).

San Felipe 250 in March and Baja 500 in June!! We love Class 11... pure fun!

13. Nov 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch
    Vehicle:
    06 Black Crew Cab TRD SPORT 33' KM2
    DR coils, camburg UCA's, procomp AAL, 285' BfG km2 Mud Terrains, Double Din touchscreen stereo, Kicker 12' sub behind seat with 800watt amp and custom box,Flowmaster Exhaust, cb radio, race/ 2m radio, crossfab lightbar, 3 9' procomp motorsport halogens. Intake coming soon. Also have custom 6 foot flagpole to represent my charger flag on!
    Paul, you are a crazy sob if you were in a class 11!!! The team I usually go with runs a class 5 open vw bug! That thing is a baja bug on steroids. They made it down in 3rd. They also run a small class 12 buggie but that thing does not do well in score races and once again blew a piston.

I just got a big promotion at work and will be getting a nice salary so I'm planning on getting a quad ready to race!! I might need some TW help for pits if anyone is interested...

14. Nov 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Thanks! Jose was in the car when it crapped out. He was SO WIPED when we got there. He went in the chase truck and passed out. He got completely beat up by the terrain, pushing and trying to push!!! I felt bad for everyone! You could almost say I have a bit of 'Survivor Guilt!' Everyone worked SO hard and BAM! - No more race!

I kept thinking, "Why do they do this!" I know I have done some stupid shit in my life but this shit was NOT Cool!

Thanks David! Thanks for getting my head out of my ass with respect to staying away from Baja! I'm not saying that I feel comfortable enough to be stupid, but I do feel much more comfortable.

Another experience that I wish I had was to be in the chase truck when one of our team got a speeding ticket. He got through the whole process without skipping a beat. I don't know the details but I would love to be able to watch that a couple of times so that I will be ready just in case!

By the way, we need to get together sometime soon. It's a 4WDToyOwn thing.

You know everyone said that I was a crazy for doing the Class 11!

I was thinking it was going to be crazy and it was!

I was comfortable, okay, maybe not comfortable, but certainly not uncomfortable with the whole Class 11 thing. I have done crazier things but this was right up there, especially if we would have finished the race! We were planning to finish at 6 am this morning so, unfortunately, I don't know what my final 'crazy index' would be but I would sure like to find out sometime!!!

15. Nov 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I am happy that you broke the ice by joining us last May for the Mision Santa Maria adventure! You were a great amigo to everyone in the group... Thanks for all your help to those that needed it... really all of us!

Now, Baja Angel and I would love to be involved with your race team, as we were for Baja Pits in 2006, etc. Stay in touch, and we will be ready for the San Felipe 250 in March!

16. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
  17. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Yeah, It was cool meeting you over there. I'll finally post some pics in a bit.

18. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    I just have to upload 100+ Mb of pics :cool:

19. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Where? :)

20. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Here.. My gallery

Products Discussed in

To Top