Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

After Valley of the Moon

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
After Valley of the Moon

While I'm waiting for my buddy to get here I thought I'd let the locals know of some more , much longer trails we found after Eddie,Gabe & Rudi took off for the day. Me & Matt headed north/east on some trails that parrallel the old train tracks that probably head up towards Carrizo gorge,

Many,many diff. trails , long, fast (we both got up to about 60mph in spots,LT,prerunners wetdream) We stopped at the abandoned train station (it was starting to get late afternoon ) I have absolutely no pics,but Matt has a few I think. This area would be well worth exploring at some future date, looks pretty wide open & closer than Ocotillo Wells....

Anyone know the area of which I speak of ?

google earth quads are FORGET THE QUADS THEY'RE WRONG
Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
OK, update : The place I'm talking about is the Dos Cabezas/Corrizo gorge trail area, ANY info appreciated as to length/difficulty ,etc;
Attached Thumbnails
After Valley of the Moon-dos-cabezas.jpeg  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
N O X I O U S
SD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chris
SD2011Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Of all weekends to get sick. I was not even out of bed until about 8am...

Glad you guys had a fun time
Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
N O X I O U S
SD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chris
SD2011Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have to work Sunday. Was thinking bout hitting it Saturday. Will see how my week goes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Since you went down to the desert, do you guys know about the oyster shell beds east of Ocotillo and south of I-8? There is also an area of sandstone oddities (like at the pumpkin patch in Ocotillo Wells)... and the old Yuha Well... oh the desert is so cool (hot)!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Since you went down to the desert, do you guys know about the oyster shell beds east of Ocotillo and south of I-8? There is also an area of sandstone oddities (like at the pumpkin patch in Ocotillo Wells)... and the old Yuha Well... oh the desert is so cool (hot)!

YEAH DAVID !! I was trying to remember where those oyster beds were, they're off what is it? 93 south towards Calexico/Mexicali ?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I was a rock hound as a kid, and my mom and dad liked to go Jeepin' and camping... if not Baja, then the desert... like now-a-days. However, when we went to the oyster shell beds, there was no I-8, just U.S. 80 and Hwy. 98 to Calexico... I read about the oyster shell beds in Four Wheeler Magazine... Had to be like in 1966-67?

I believe you can go from the Old Hwy. 80 under the freeway by Coyote Wells (just east of Ocotillo and still use the same dirt roads we did in the 1960's to get to the oyster shell beds and Yuha Well. I will try and map it out on Google Earth and post it here...
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
While I'm waiting for my buddy to get here I thought I'd let the locals know of some more , much longer trails we found after Eddie,Gabe & Rudi took off for the day. Me & Matt headed north/east on some trails that parrallel the old train tracks that probably head up towards Carrizo gorge,

Many,many diff. trails , long, fast (we both got up to about 60mph in spots,LT,prerunners wetdream) We stopped at the abandoned train station (it was starting to get late afternoon ) I have absolutely no pics,but Matt has a few I think. This area would be well worth exploring at some future date, looks pretty wide open & closer than Ocotillo Wells....

Anyone know the area of which I speak of ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
OK, update : The place I'm talking about is the Dos Cabezas/Corrizo gorge trail area, ANY info appreciated as to length/difficulty ,etc;
Yes, You're talking about here. Correct?

From that location you can hike cross country to see the Goat Canyon trestle, said to be the largest curved wooden trestle in the world.

Quote:
The shell beds are pretty cool. They're 6 million years old. Deep in the Yuha desert, which only receives about 3" of rain a year. It's one of the driest parts of North America. I drove through in a dust storm once and my air filter was dead after that.

I like to go there in the middle of August when its hot.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Crom, that looks about right. I did go all the way up that narrow,rutted switch back trail that ends at the mine shafts, pretty challenging stuff.... excellent view
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
To the Oyster Shell Beds!

(I may repost this in its own thread)... but because 4WD Doug asked for it, here it is!

from space...

From the highway at Ocotillo exit to Coyote Wells train track crossing...

Now, looking east...

Down close, above the road, all eastward...

Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
David ..... You are da' fuggin' man !! I'm calling you Map master or Google Earth God, or the GPS general or ???? Thanks buddy !!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Good map to have.

Quote:
(I may repost this in its own thread)... but because 4WD Doug asked for it, here it is!

That is Lowell Lindsay's map and it is a good map to have. It's in a frame in my living room and I keep another copy in my truck. Before I die, I will have hiked, backpacked, and explored every location of interest.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
What would be cool Crom, is as you travel the roads on the map... note the mileages and write them in (on a copy of course)... Then that shows us the mileage and all the roads you have driven on... That is a great goal to drive every road... I would like to do that too! The desert holds so much wonder and mystery!

I am an editor for the BRAND NEW www.DezertMagazine.com online magazine... The first issue is online now, free viewing... The creator hopes to fill the void left with the demise of the original Desert Magazine of many years ago. I will be writing Baja articles for it... a small one is in this one.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2011Taco View Post
I have to work Sunday. Was thinking bout hitting it Saturday. Will see how my week goes
My girl also works on sunday! You can make it with us on Sat! You can do it!

Products Discussed in this Thread