1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sand bags in bed of truck

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Wayne, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Wayne

Wayne [OP] Active Member

Member:
    san fernando valley
    Vehicle:
    06 white 4 door long bed,sr5
    front d rings, rubber bed mat, running boards, front oem seat covers,
    I have a 2006 l0ng bed tacoma sr5
    I have 25% sandy incline and can not get up it (NO LIMITED SLIP) iF i PUT sand bags, air down the tires, will this help?

eromas@aol.com

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    yes it will.

and skinny pedal down

3. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Be sure to get in on video when ya do it again! We wanna see your victory!

4. Sep 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Get it on Video! You and your video kick?:rolleyes: Go climb your own sandy hill and video it son!:D

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Is this incline where you live! if so, why didnt you get 4wd! especially if you have to deal with that everyday.:confused:

6. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    Wayne

Wayne [OP] Active Member

Member:
    san fernando valley
    Vehicle:
    No it is at a cabin I built years ago. Their was a guy that lived up their and had a road grader and would keep it clear for me. But he passed away and his kids sold all of his equiptment. So will have to do what I have to do.Would like to put limited slip in my truck but I'am 76 years old,
    and afarid to try it. The stealership wants $1200 to do it, can not afford it. What is aal? or somethin like that.

Wayne

7. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Wayne if you air down depending on the surface and hit it with some speed you will have a good chance of making it up, is it a 4wd?

8. Sep 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Blowsand hill in 2wd :cool:

9. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    AAL is add a leaf, if someone can chime in, i know what it is but i cant really explain it

10. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    It's a process of adding a leaf to the already existing leaf pack. An add a leaf usually comes in a single leaf and provides about 1.5-2" of lift and most of the time, better rear ride quality. There are also 3 leaf AAL packs that you can add to your existing leaf pack that makes for much better ride quality. Using the AAL, you can achieve higher speeds across uneven terrain with less chance of bottoming out. So you'll be able to punch it up that hill of yours faster before you start the climb, giving you more momentum and a less jarring and possibly damaging experience.

11. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    As you said, AAL = Add A Leaf, basically add another steal leaf into the leaf pack. They're used to beef up a stock leaf pack or add lift. I don't see how it pertains to the problem though.

What are you running for tires? Tires can make a very big difference. Air down and light on the skinny pedal should get you up that incline. I wouldn't air down and add sand bags, they're counter acting each other. You air down so you have a bigger surface area on the road therefore giving you more floatation. Adding weight is to make the tires dig down to solid ground, the opposite of floatation. So, if it were me, I'd either air down with no weight OR put weight in and leave the pressure as is. Like I said though, tires can make all the difference in the world...

12. Sep 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Wayne

Wayne [OP] Active Member

Member:
    san fernando valley
    Vehicle:
    My tacoma climbed the incline like it was not their. Just approached it a little above idel and it torqued up great. That is with stock tires that came on the truck

13. Sep 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    5 year old truck with stock tires? :eek:

14. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Wayne

Wayne [OP] Active Member

Member:
    san fernando valley
    Vehicle:
    Yes---It only has 11000 miles on it and the tires have no cracks or signs of anything wrong. we just got back from a 357 mile trip. Was not too happy with mileage it only got 17 mpg. Of course that was with my son driving and he stays at 75 to 8o. Wyen I drive I go at 65 mph and get 22 to 24 when not in the hills.

Wayne

15. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    did you air down or anything to make it up?

and dont let the dealer do the install for you on a locker. 1200 is insane for a limited slip

16. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Wayne

Wayne [OP] Active Member

Member:
    san fernando valley
    Vehicle:
    No the tires have 32 lbs and it went up great.

17. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    11BSSG

11BSSG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    33°28'18"N /-86°48'2"W
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 A/C 6 Spd
    Front-Billy 5100'2 @ 2.5, Rear- Wheelers 1.5" AAL w/ Billy 5100's, 17" XD Addict's, 285/70-17 Nitto TerraGrappler AT's, 20% Tint, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, N-Fab Nerf Steps, K&N, Black Head Lights, Hard Wired GPS, XM Onyx, Hardwired Radar Detector, Ultraguage, Thule Mtn Bike Lock, Sleeved Fog Light Housing, Black Emblems, Satoshi/Color Matched grille, Misc. Security Upgrades.
    Wayne, I'd try the sand bags and air down tires prior to purchasing LSD for the truck for that one situation. *Remember to bring an air compressor or have one near if you do decide to air down your tires.* If you go up there enough, it would be a good excuse to throw some aggressive tires on your truck.

Side note, good to see a 76 year old on TacomaWorld, driving a Tacoma, etc. I'm sure you have heard this already, but welcome to the forum! If you post a picture of hill you are trying to get up, one of the smart guys on here may be able to find some alternate solutions for you.

18. Sep 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    in2nite

in2nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    SoCal.
    Vehicle:
    blk 07 prerunner
    Engage Offroad L/T front and rear, Kings and 50t pack, Hella 4000's, Pro Comp Wheels and tires
    Blowsand pretty steep sandy incline. no LSD, 2wd, 10psi in the rear. My Tires at the time were 33inch Xtreme all terrain. If you are running a factory tire, even air'd down u still might have some issues.

IMG_7369.jpg

19. Sep 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    I've used sand bags in my bed for up hill trail runs and minor rock crawling. I have a 2.7l and no lockers or 4wd. The extra weight in the bed definitely helped out with traction.

20. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    damn that looks epic, where is that picture?

Products Discussed in

To Top