1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engage Off Road at Glamis 10/21 weekend

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by mikesdoublecab, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab [OP] LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    That's good cuz Vi's truck is a customer truck... :D

Actually I was only there long enough to shoot them doing the first round of test runs before shock tuning...

The race truck has been racing short course in between the Baja races, so the shocks have to be re-tuned for the desert...

I'm hoping to get more footage before Baja...

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    That's some real customer service for you.

Whats the tuning process like; Do you just hit some whoops and say it was too stiff or that it bucked too hard? How do you adjust the shocks- is it a simple dial you turn on the shock or something?

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    God damn, good work guys. the trucks look IMMACULATE. total badas-ary.
    Mike, your a hard ass. Welcome back

4. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    vitang

vitang Well-Known Member

Member:
    diamond bar
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4wd
    Engage Front Long Travel, Giant Rear Long Travel, KR Fab rear bumper, tire gate and Jerry Can cage.
    Hass and Jerry watched and tuned my truck a little at a time through the whoops until it was running right. We found out that my rear was lacking some weight. My truck was running even better when we strapped down an extra tire in the back.

5. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    No wonder it ran so much better when you had my fat ass riding in there with you!!!

:p

6. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks RJ... We need to turn you onto the dark side!!!

7. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    RJALLDAY702

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Oh i plan on turning!!
    How much is it for a lt lit?

8. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2250 for the front kit, not counting shocks but we have the big Black Friday sale coming up in a month...

That's the only time we offer a limited number of kits at a great deal...

Check the sale thread in the Engage section on TW...

9. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    RJALLDAY702

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    WTF!! I should have just LT'ed instead og getting my icons!! Not too much of a difference

10. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator

Woulda been a difference after labor and the shocks, but yeah, there's no denying that Engage has the nicest looking LT trucks around. If I ever get my rear done, it's gonna be with Engage.

Speakin of which, how much is it to LT the rear, Mike?

11. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Rear is a bit different to price... Depends on what you want and how intense you want it...

We would have to sit down and see what you want... The bed saver kit is a set price but if you want your standing spares and all the other goodies, that changes things a bit...

12. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Anteupp

Anteupp Mega Member

Member:

tuning is all in the shims you use. The thicker the shim on the compression side of the piston the stiffer the shock will be, thicker the shims on rebound side of the piston the slower your suspension will drop out and vice versa. Its a little more complicated than that cause there are different variations of shim stacks you can use, flutter stacks, rate plates ect... but its pretty basic. Then you can fine tune with bypasses via the rebound and compression tubes.

heres an example of the shims im talking about

102_743161c1e1bd64e212a6c6044ab17a0b8f2f137d.jpg

13. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    I'd definitely wanna keep the bed- I lug quite a bit of things around- not heavy stuff- just stuff. Just keeping a smooth constant speed and being able to hit some hard stuff when it's unexpected and the jump here and there is what I'm looking for in a LT kit. What kinda questions are asked when putting a kit on someones truck? Thanks!

14. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    RJALLDAY702

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Shut up greg, your being annoying! ;):p:cool::)
    :popcorn:

15. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Damn! Thanks for the great write-up. It's how I learn. That sounds a little complicated :eek: Maybe after you've been doing it for long enough, it comes as second nature. So when you talk about "sides of the piston" are you talking about inside the shock body itself at each end? Sorry- I'm very new to the insides of shocks (never peaked inside one.) heh. where are the diagrams when ya need one :p

16. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    and you're jelly that I'm filling my head with all sorts of knowledge... and you're just enjoying it cuz you don't have to look like a dummy and ask all these questions :D

17. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :spy:

:laugh:

18. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    RJALLDAY702

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    ahhahahahahahaha

19. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Anteupp

Anteupp Mega Member

Member:

heres a very basic picture of the shaft and piston. the compression side of the piston facing down towards the shaft, and rebound side is facing up, think about which way the shaft is moving on compression and rebound then you will figure out why x valving goes there.

[​IMG]

20. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Anteupp

Anteupp Mega Member

Member:
    / thread jack

more pics and vid from this trip!!

Products Discussed in

To Top