Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Where do you guys go shooting?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you guys go shooting?

I just got my first AR and I'm looking for a good, legal place in the desert or national forest to go shoot my AR. I live in OC so I'm thinking either the Julian/Anza borrego area or San Bernardino forest or perhaps the mojave.

Anyone have any favorite spots? I'd like to be able to shoot 100-300 yards (no scope yet).
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Well National Forest will be a no-no. You can only shoot in national forest in legal pursuit of game with the exception of a few small designated range areas, most of which have been closed in recent years. Same goes for most state park.

What you need is a No-Shoot map for your county and then a BLM map. Overlay the 2 and any BLM land that are in unincorporated county that doesnt say no shooting will be your spot.

Down here in San Diego we have lost most area and are left with just a few spots in Jacumba or private land. Areas out in the desert are always a good bet, pretty much anywhere not posted as a non-shooting area are free game since it is unincorporated and public land.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
I think thats because most people don't clean up after themselves and leave plastic shotgun shells and garbage and old targets everywhere so most places have been shut down.

I would add I don't want to go to a designated outdoor range like Perris where other people are shooting. I don't trust anyone target shooting unless I know them personally and have instructed them on proper firearm safety.

Any good sources for PDF BLM maps?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trib View Post
I think thats because most people don't clean up after themselves and leave plastic shotgun shells and garbage and old targets everywhere so most places have been shut down.

I would add I don't want to go to a designated outdoor range like Perris where other people are shooting. I don't trust anyone target shooting unless I know them personally and have instructed them on proper firearm safety.

Any good sources for PDF BLM maps?

have fun. http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

looks like you have a decent chunk of BLM land in san mateo canyon id check that out for sure.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
its not in OC but you also got bee canyon (forest road 5S07) up by idylwild
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Mega Member

Coast Guard:
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregero View Post
Head out to the train tracks south of the 78 near Ocotillo Wells (on the way to split mountain.) Follow the tracks East some ways and it turns into a shooting range of a sort where people shoots into the mountainside. I'm all amped up for shooting now. Who wants to pop off some rounds?
lets go Im always down. I have a close spot we can go to, you just have to keep it on the DL because its on the verge of getting shut down .
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
ignorance is bliss,
tacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st MLG, 7th ESB,Alpha Co.
Name: Josh
tacoman007's Tacoma Gallery
LET SHOOT SOME SHIT!!!!!! i want to go to a open area where i can shoot from my truck, get some practice in, You know?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
FOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud of
Name: Barry
FOUR X FOUR DUDE.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteupp View Post
its not in OC but you also got bee canyon (forest road 5S07) up by idylwild
I'm in Mountain Center/Idyllwild. Cal trans has signs posted from Hemet and Anza turn-off...."NO target shooting on National Forrest land". Signs on those little trailers with lights flashing. High fire danger being the reasoning. I like to go out to 29 palms area. I know a place near San Marcos off the 15 fwy, but gotta keep it secret, sorry. Then there's area off Hwy 74, east end of Hemet, before you head up into Nat'l Forrest area. Un-incorporated, need to hike toward hillside (short hike). 45500 blk Florida Ave (Hwy 74).
Old 11-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lets go Im always down. I have a close spot we can go to, you just have to keep it on the DL because its on the verge of getting shut down .
Aw that sucks Orosco Ridge was closed some time back- I can only guess it's cuz of a few idiots that ruined it for us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman007 View Post
LET SHOOT SOME SHIT!!!!!! i want to go to a open area where i can shoot from my truck, get some practice in, You know?
I wanna get prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse as well I hear ya though- never have shot from my truck. That'd be cool.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
Mega Member

Coast Guard:
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregero View Post
Aw that sucks Orosco Ridge was closed some time back- I can only guess it's cuz of a few idiots that ruined it for us all.

yeeap thats why iam so reluctant to just show anyone the spot i go to, the less people who know about it the better. Everytime I go I see more and more trash and the ranger is fed up with it. I clean the spot whenever im out there though.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeeap thats why iam so reluctant to just show anyone the spot i go to, the less people who know about it the better. Everytime I go I see more and more trash and the ranger is fed up with it. I clean the spot whenever im out there though.
Hell yeah, Andrew. Keep it clean to keep it open. I do the same out in the backwood- clean it up cuz nobody else will.