Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

How do i paint rims black?!?!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
obsurfer1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
obsurfer1990's Tacoma Gallery
How do i paint rims black?!?!

do i need to get my rims powder coated? and how much does that usually run?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you can get them powdercoated, but it aint too cheap i dont think. alot of people have painted their rims....and they look great and are easy to do. you gotta prep the wheels real good(clean, sand, clean again) and you need to use a wheel primer and a wheel paint for the finish to last longer. oh yeah.......its alot cheaper than powdercoating too.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Powercoating is an option. It tends to be a bit more durable than paint- but if it gets damaged it needs to be completely re-done to fix it. More expensive than paint but less work for you.
Paint can be repaired easily but needs to be repaired more often. It is less expensive than powdercoat...but takes more time to do.

As far as painting your rims- Take them off-Clean them very well. Sand with a fine grit (between 600 and 1200) until the whole surface where you want paint to stick is roughed up. (if you miss any spots you can get paint beads and bubbles). Wipe with alcohol or another solvent to get all the dust...Tape the tire (if you are worried about it) and then- Shoot!!

Spray 1-2 coats of primer-I used a sandable filler/primer to fill a couple of divits in the lip of the rim and some scratches. Follow the can directions-Allow at least enuf time between coats for it to be dry to the touch (clean hands). Sand and re-prime if needed.
Paint (I used 3 coats per rim) using can directions and allowing for proper drying. Re-install and bask in the glory of all the admiring stares you get while driving around...

Check out my gallery if you want to see pics of what is possible-Good luck!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Rookie Member
BGreene will become famous soon enoughBGreene will become famous soon enough

Name: Brandon
BGreene's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BGreene
I also had many questions when I went to paint my wheels black.
Many people will tell you- Prep is everything! - That's the truth! There are also a couple instructional videos on Youtube that are good.

Check out my gallery for pics of my wheels I painted black.