1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do i paint rims black?!?!

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by obsurfer1990, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nov 13, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    obsurfer1990

obsurfer1990 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    do i need to get my rims powder coated? and how much does that usually run?

2. Nov 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you can get them powdercoated, but it aint too cheap i dont think. alot of people have painted their rims....and they look great and are easy to do. you gotta prep the wheels real good(clean, sand, clean again) and you need to use a wheel primer and a wheel paint for the finish to last longer. oh yeah.......its alot cheaper than powdercoating too.

3. Nov 13, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Powercoating is an option. It tends to be a bit more durable than paint- but if it gets damaged it needs to be completely re-done to fix it. More expensive than paint but less work for you.
    Paint can be repaired easily but needs to be repaired more often. It is less expensive than powdercoat...but takes more time to do.

As far as painting your rims- Take them off-Clean them very well. Sand with a fine grit (between 600 and 1200) until the whole surface where you want paint to stick is roughed up. (if you miss any spots you can get paint beads and bubbles). Wipe with alcohol or another solvent to get all the dust...Tape the tire (if you are worried about it) and then- Shoot!!

Spray 1-2 coats of primer-I used a sandable filler/primer to fill a couple of divits in the lip of the rim and some scratches. Follow the can directions-Allow at least enuf time between coats for it to be dry to the touch (clean hands). Sand and re-prime if needed.
    Paint (I used 3 coats per rim) using can directions and allowing for proper drying. Re-install and bask in the glory of all the admiring stares you get while driving around...

Check out my gallery if you want to see pics of what is possible-Good luck!

4. Nov 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM
    BGreene

BGreene Rookie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Sharpsburg, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DC- Black
    Blacked Out Emblems, Blacked out grille, 20% Tint-over factory, Paint matched rear bumper, 3" Suspension Lift, Custom "TRD Black" Decals, BHLM, Seat belt chime mod. Mods to come: Bull bar, step bars, scooped hood, OEM skid plate, tinted tails
    I also had many questions when I went to paint my wheels black.
    Many people will tell you- Prep is everything! - That's the truth! There are also a couple instructional videos on Youtube that are good.

Check out my gallery for pics of my wheels I painted black.

Products Discussed in

To Top