Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Orange County Meetups!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #2003
R o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
R o C C o 5 7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Really good actually. Nice big turnout and amazing food.
Who has the pic of the roll of burgers? Post it up!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2005
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o C C o 5 7 View Post
Who has the pic of the roll of burgers? Post it up!!!
that was you pulling up when i was leaving...damn lol i should have said whats up.
my bad
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #2006
R o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud ofR o C C o 5 7 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Did you get my text^
Yes I did, thanks.I was just on the (626) (909) thread asking if it's this weekend or next.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
that was you pulling up when i was leaving...damn lol i should have said whats up.
my bad
No worries.I thought you were coming back but then I was told that you just came by to buy a tablet.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2008
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Going up to Gorman for 4-20. Throwing it out to yall. Red sticker ohv ends this month.!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #2009
stephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
stephen11ty7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Woke up this morning wanting to hit some dirt so I did a solo run up to Silverado Canyon for a few hours. I haven't been there in over a year and its gotten pretty rocky, theres alot of decent jump spots too!

Is silverado better than holy jim? Last time i was there the roads were paved smooth so im assuming so..

Silverado is way better than holy jim... Your truck looks good man, can't wait till you do the rear!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #2010
Kevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevoh
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
This weekend I attempted to do a meet up on the forums but fail miserably because:

1.) I didn't post the meet up spot until 6 hours before.
2.) I was doing a late night mod with the some other forum members who were not going to be able to make it in the morning.

I ended up waking up at like 9:10ish (After snoozing like a mofo because we didn't finish until 2am).

I still showed up to the spot around 9:45am; but didn't see anyone. I waited a few minutes, topped off my gas at the 76 there next to John's place on Santiago - and headed off. With all the gloom and such over the last weekend you wouldn't really realize how good the weather was once you were above this ugly marine layer we have had over the last few days.

Around 11:00am I hit Four Corners.I had packed a lunch so I stopped there and ate. During my lunch I ran into a mountain biker who lost the bandage he had over a previously inflicted wound - So i helped him out with a kit I carry because he was asking.

After that strange incident I headed up to Santiago Peak where the towers are - and headed down towards Indian Truck Trail. On the way down the Indian truck trail I came along this super long stretch where there were 2 jumps back to back on about a quarter mile stretch. They were really fun and after that I stopped for a second at the next little turn out and checked the vehicle; I had popped both front fenders off about halfway (those little clips busted).

Anyways - was a fun trip and it was my first solo ride. I had a blast - I wanna do another run there next Sunday hopefully.

Here are some pictures I took along my little journey yesterday:

Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #2011
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen11ty7 View Post
Silverado is way better than holy jim... Your truck looks good man, can't wait till you do the rear!
que? He finished the back a while ago.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #2012
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
que? He finished the back a while ago.
long story...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #2013
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevoh View Post
This weekend I attempted to do a meet up on the forums but fail miserably because:

1.) I didn't post the meet up spot until 6 hours before.
2.) I was doing a late night mod with the some other forum members who were not going to be able to make it in the morning.

I ended up waking up at like 9:10ish (After snoozing like a mofo because we didn't finish until 2am).

I still showed up to the spot around 9:45am; but didn't see anyone. I waited a few minutes, topped off my gas at the 76 there next to John's place on Santiago - and headed off. With all the gloom and such over the last weekend you wouldn't really realize how good the weather was once you were above this ugly marine layer we have had over the last few days.

Around 11:00am I hit Four Corners.I had packed a lunch so I stopped there and ate. During my lunch I ran into a mountain biker who lost the bandage he had over a previously inflicted wound - So i helped him out with a kit I carry because he was asking.

After that strange incident I headed up to Santiago Peak where the towers are - and headed down towards Indian Truck Trail. On the way down the Indian truck trail I came along this super long stretch where there were 2 jumps back to back on about a quarter mile stretch. They were really fun and after that I stopped for a second at the next little turn out and checked the vehicle; I had popped both front fenders off about halfway (those little clips busted).

Anyways - was a fun trip and it was my first solo ride. I had a blast - I wanna do another run there next Sunday hopefully.
Great story Kevoh. I'm in for next Sunday if you go. Earlier the start the better for me. Be a good time to break in my offroad virgin truck.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2014
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Going to hungry valley this weekend coming up. Leaving friday afternoon if anyone wants to cruze.
Dont feel like starting a tread. If you want to go, lets go!!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #2015
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Time to upgrade
Oh ya. I remember Tim mentioning something. Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #2016
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
So all this talk about running MDR/Maple Springs/ITT is kinda making me think I should mention this.

I know this is, or should, be common sense, and every one of us on this thread uses common sense, but I still think it should be mentioned.

*ALWAYS* carry the following *as a bare minimum* any time you are leaving the pavement (really, you should carry all of this anyway, pavement or not):

+Good first-aid kit
+Water (enough for you for a day AND for the truck)
+Jumper cables
+Tow rope/snatch strap rated at at least double your truck's loaded weight
+Jack + tire tools THAT FIT your truck's height and its lugs
+Snacks (power bars fit anywhere)
+A jacket or blanket
+Flashlight or headlamp with batteries
+Toilet paper
+Duct tape
+Bailing wire
+Some common fucking sense

There's plenty more I think should be on the "Minimums List" (starting with a shovel and some leather gloves), but I'm also someone who is generally ready to be stranded for a week if I need to be.

Why am I posting this?

Well, first, we have some newbie wheelers subscribed to this thread.

But mainly because I had to rescue two dumbasses up on Maple Springs Friday evening.
One had a Dodge 2500 4x4 with Kings (he bought it that way......of course) and didn't think to check why it felt like he had a steer tire going down -- turns out he drove on a nice new Toyo MT until he wiped out pretty much every bit of sidewall it had. He had no idea where his jack was (under the seat), if he had a wrench (he did), or how much air was in the spare (not enough); he also thought he didn't have a jack (he did). Needless to say, I got him on his way with a fully-inflated spare......and a nicely bent light bar.
The other was a bunch of just-out-of-high-school kids that didn't think they should maybe check their gauges every once in a while while climbing 4,000 feet. Followed a trail of coolant for about three miles until I found the Cherokee at Four Corners with a boiling radiator and a very pissed-off girlfriend sitting shotgun (whose Jeep it was, it turns out). No water, no cell coverage, no nothing. Again, rescued their ass with my emergency water and a good verbal finger-wagging.

Basically, don't be That Guy who makes people associate "Tacoma" with "dumbass noob." One should only be venturing off pavement if one has not only the vehicle to do it, but the gear and knowledge to get oneself unstuck when (not if) trouble happens.

For more info on good emergency items to carry, check out the Survivalist thread -- it sometimes gets threadjacked by the conspiracy/anti-government/jack-booted-thugs-lurking-around-every-corner crowd, but there's some invaluable info on there no matter your political leanings.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2017
Kevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevoh
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
After seeing how prepared you were our first time out together, yeah I definitely upped my stuff a bit:

+Good first-aid kit - Check, Had that.
+Water (enough for you for a day AND for the truck) - Check, had 3 gallons on me.
+Jumper cables - Check
+Tow rope/snatch strap rated at at least double your truck's loaded weight - Didnt have a tow rope, dont have a winch.
+Jack + tire tools THAT FIT your truck's height and its lugs - Check
+Snacks (power bars fit anywhere) - Had two meals
+A jacket or blanket - Had an emergency blanket + a hoodie.
+Flashlight or headlamp with batteries - Check
+Toilet paper - Check
+Duct tape - And electrical tape!
+Bailing wire - No wires.
+Some common fucking sense - Yep, dont do stupid stuff!

Additional Things I carry:

Full socket set
Tubes and hoses
Full set of x2 of all fuses
Lots o Zip ties

Things I need though:

Rope
Rock Sliders
Hi-Lift
Jerrycans or Rotopax
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #2018
Kuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really nice

Name: Ian
Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
ok, so I have been making plans to attend every meet, and have failed miserably due to the old lady, school, or homework... super bummed about this... I WILL be attending DMZ fest, or taco fest, (whichever it may be) on april 20th in Norco. anyone going to that? it would be really nice to interact with some Tacoma people from the forum and do some networking, maybe make some new friends in the taco-world. other than Norco shindig, I know there are meets on Wednesday? when is the next trip up to Santiago peak/anywhere local???? wanna put the old suspension through some work.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #2019
Kuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really nice

Name: Ian
Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
So all this talk about running MDR/Maple Springs/ITT is kinda making me think I should mention this.

I know this is, or should, be common sense, and every one of us on this thread uses common sense, but I still think it should be mentioned.

*ALWAYS* carry the following *as a bare minimum* any time you are leaving the pavement (really, you should carry all of this anyway, pavement or not):

+Good first-aid kit
+Water (enough for you for a day AND for the truck)
+Jumper cables
+Tow rope/snatch strap rated at at least double your truck's loaded weight
+Jack + tire tools THAT FIT your truck's height and its lugs
+Snacks (power bars fit anywhere)
+A jacket or blanket
+Flashlight or headlamp with batteries
+Toilet paper
+Duct tape
+Bailing wire
+Some common fucking sense

There's plenty more I think should be on the "Minimums List" (starting with a shovel and some leather gloves), but I'm also someone who is generally ready to be stranded for a week if I need to be.

Why am I posting this?

Well, first, we have some newbie wheelers subscribed to this thread.

But mainly because I had to rescue two dumbasses up on Maple Springs Friday evening.
One had a Dodge 2500 4x4 with Kings (he bought it that way......of course) and didn't think to check why it felt like he had a steer tire going down -- turns out he drove on a nice new Toyo MT until he wiped out pretty much every bit of sidewall it had. He had no idea where his jack was (under the seat), if he had a wrench (he did), or how much air was in the spare (not enough); he also thought he didn't have a jack (he did). Needless to say, I got him on his way with a fully-inflated spare......and a nicely bent light bar.
The other was a bunch of just-out-of-high-school kids that didn't think they should maybe check their gauges every once in a while while climbing 4,000 feet. Followed a trail of coolant for about three miles until I found the Cherokee at Four Corners with a boiling radiator and a very pissed-off girlfriend sitting shotgun (whose Jeep it was, it turns out). No water, no cell coverage, no nothing. Again, rescued their ass with my emergency water and a good verbal finger-wagging.

Basically, don't be That Guy who makes people associate "Tacoma" with "dumbass noob." One should only be venturing off pavement if one has not only the vehicle to do it, but the gear and knowledge to get oneself unstuck when (not if) trouble happens.

For more info on good emergency items to carry, check out the Survivalist thread -- it sometimes gets threadjacked by the conspiracy/anti-government/jack-booted-thugs-lurking-around-every-corner crowd, but there's some invaluable info on there no matter your political leanings.
Excellent list!!!! In addition to these, I would add:
1.) an EMT-B rated jump bag. (only if you are certified to use the equipment inside. having this equipment can aid you in saving someone's life.)
2.) a STURDY/TRUSTWORTHY set of hiking boots.
3.) one set of clean socks, and underwear. (little trick to stay warm. look it up, it works.)
4.) matches/a lighter. if you need a fire, don't get caught looking stupid.
5.) a knife, preferably with a serrated blade. (no, not for shanking people. for cutting wood, fabric, or gutting a critter for sustenance.)

don't get caught looking stupid... it could end up with you getting dead.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #2020
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl29 View Post
Excellent list!!!! In addition to these, I would add:
1.) an EMT-B rated jump bag. (only if you are certified to use the equipment inside. having this equipment can aid you in saving someone's life.)
2.) a STURDY/TRUSTWORTHY set of hiking boots.
3.) one set of clean socks, and underwear. (little trick to stay warm. look it up, it works.)
4.) matches/a lighter. if you need a fire, don't get caught looking stupid.
5.) a knife, preferably with a serrated blade. (no, not for shanking people. for cutting wood, fabric, or gutting a critter for sustenance.)

don't get caught looking stupid... it could end up with you getting dead.
Well......yes......but my list was intended more as an ultra-stripped-down minimum amount of gear one should have when running around the vehicle trails around here, with the idea one might be stuck overnight in the truck. Around here, one only needs to hike a day in any direction to get to civilization. A source of fire, for whatever purpose, is more than what is needed......besides, with a truck full of fuel, a battery, and a set of jumper cables, one already has everything needed for fire.

I wasn't looking to move the survivalist conversation over to this thread (it can get going for days with everyone weighing in on their opinion of "necessary" items). Just a quick list of stuff that should "be part of the truck." Obviously there is a shit-ton of additional items one could and should carry. But for a quick four-hour trail run in OC, most of them are overkill.

Products Discussed in this Thread