Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Anybody driving around without their sway bar?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody driving around without their sway bar?

I'm posting this here because as we all know, SoCal traffic and highways are like none other around the country.

I'm contemplating taking mine off, but I do quite a bit of highway driving, and a few long road trips a year (over 2000 miles). I only got the truck 3 weeks ago, but I've already gone off-roading about 7 or 8 times

I'm just not sure if it's safe to drive on the highway as much as do with the sway bar off. Anybody else doing this in a 2nd gen? Any adverse effects or close calls?

I really don't want to roll my truck because an 18yr old girl is updating her facebook status on the 405...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I'm contemplating taking mine off, but I do quite a bit of highway driving, and a few long road trips a year (over 2000 miles). I only got the truck 3 weeks ago, but I've already gone off-roading about 7 or 8 times

I'm just not sure if it's safe to drive on the highway as much as do with the sway bar off. Anybody else doing this in a 2nd gen? Any adverse effects or close calls?

I really don't want to roll my truck because an 18yr old girl is updating her facebook status on the 405...
Leave it on, you won't really benefit from it off till you upgrade your entire suspension to use that added flex properly.

Now once you go full mid travel or long travel... Take it off an never look back.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I havent had my sway bar on for more than 3 years, done multiple road trips at 800+ miles one each, did fine at 80+ miles per hour (closed course, of course)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Always closed course!

Mine has been off for a year, took some getting used to but not a huge difference after you learn how it moves.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
If you have stock suspension (pretty sure 550# springs) the body roll be much greater then some guy running 700# springs.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Okay thanks for the replies...I'm a first time truck owner, and I'm not really used to the amount of body roll I have as of now (I used to drive a GTI lowered on coilovers).

I think I'll keep it off until I install my OME lift kit. Guess I'll just live with the bobble-head effect when I'm wheelin' for now.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
HA!, whats a sway bar ??...

mines off & will never return, if you do a suspension upgrade stiffening things up I encourage guys to remove to take advantage of extra droop gained with travel, if guys go the spacer lift route I beg them to keep it on...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There's some thread around here by a guy who scared himself spitless after erergency-maneuvering on the freeway with the sway-bar removed. He had the 730lb Pro-Comp springs.

Mine's staying on. My long term plan is to get some sort of disconnect for off-roading.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
There's some thread around here by a guy who scared himself spitless after erergency-maneuvering on the freeway with the sway-bar removed. He had the 730lb Pro-Comp springs.

Mine's staying on. My long term plan is to get some sort of disconnect for off-roading.
There have been a few cases of that. Mr. Chris16 was one of them but I think he had 620 lb springs on at the time.

Mine's staying on, we have all sorts of deer and very stupid pedestrians that could force an emergency maneuver. For the guys that spend more time off road, I can see the benefits of removing it though.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
You really just have to adjust your driving, like said above you just have to get used to less input at the steering wheel. You should try full LT and no sway bars, that was pretty fun the first week or so lol
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Off for a few months.......only hairy manuever was doing a socal 7 lane exit at 75mph...even then it was just a simple "ok, slow down with the wheel that's a lil more sway than I like" moment....nothing too scary.

I grew up driving in the IE so 6,7,8 lane change darting is nothing new to me. I went from carpool to exit in 1 move after checking over shoulder.

Suspension seems much smoother onroad even cuz the front end acts independently as it should I suppose....offroad dropping into ruts on 1 side is much more controlled and u don't hear the entire truck creak, moan, and bitch as the whole truck dives to 1 side because the swaybar seems to want the front end to act as 1 unified piece.

I don't think ill ever put it back on now im used to it.....this is with eibach 620# coils

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
With the swaybar off (like the Hilux in the video), you will not be able to do the "moose avoidance" maneuver safely. So either keep the swaybar installed or accept the fact and be mentally prepared to ram obstacles above a certain speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
You really just have to adjust your driving, like said above you just have to get used to less input at the steering wheel. You should try full LT and no sway bars, that was pretty fun the first week or so lol

HA! x10, I recently drove a full LT (front anyway) & gotta say, they drive like shit on pavement....talk about wheel wander, holy shit !!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine off at the moment. Just put my lift on and decided to try it until I see what it is all about. May put it back on later, but I am gonna see how it handles for a while.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is off and I love it! Lots of socal hwy driving too. Just know that its off and drive accordingly!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad32509 View Post
Yeah I like to take those freeway on ramps kinda fast
Haha I do too. I've more than once passed people on an onramp at about (a safe hwy speed ;-)) I bet they Shit themselves.
I just didn't want to scare the op. Lol