Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Going to Pismo - got some questions

Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #42
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
-14 psi up front.
-10 psi in the rear.

-Recovery strap

Besides food and camping gear these are the basic needs when venturing out into the dunes.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was right behind Matt when it happened.....it was pretty damn awesome.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
AIR DOWN! I would suggest going down to 15psi right away, or you can go down in increments of 5-10psi. If you don't air down the tires will dig you right into the sand and it will be time for a recovery.

Be sure to keep your speed up and never hit the brakes on the sand unless you're okay with a complete stop. When you do stop, don't mash the gas to get going again or you will just dig in. Crawl out of your spot slowly - if the sand is really soft or you get kinda stuck use a back-and-forth rocking motion to get some momentum (actually use Drive and Reverse for this)

Keep an eye out for razorbacks and sharp drop offs - they come out of nowhere, especially at night. The dunes are always changing due to wind.

Ply wood and a shovel is a great idea for building a berm or barrier against your truck to block wind on the other side for cooking, sleeping, etc...

If you have large traffic cones or tiki torches bring them along with some Caution tape to mark your campsite .. this is even more important if you are alone since other campers will crowd around you. Use the Caution tape to ensure you have a path to the dunes or nearest trail .. I have seen people camp without a "driveway" only to get blocked in by several other trucks, trailers, etc...

Ear plugs for sleeping .. the dunes don't close, and there's always the people that have quad tracks at their campsite for the kids to run on 24/7
I'm a local. Had my fill of the dunes a long time ago. Too many drunk idiots for me.

As far as driving: air down to 15psi, any lower and you are risking losing a bead, unless you have onboard air, hi lift jack, bumpers to lift with a hi lift, etc, you don't want to deal with this. If you have 4WD, and you air down, you'll have no problems with a stock Tacoma. A prerunner with the rear locker engaged should do okay as well. Just requires a little more momentum.

Once you drive off the beach and into the dunes on "sand highway", it's pretty well marked and not really all that challenging if you stay on sand highway. Once you get out to where the hill climb areas are, just sit and watch for awhile. You'll be able to see where the buggies belong and where the stock Tacomas belong.

Always climb straight up a dune and go straight down. If you get sideways you can roll over. In a 4x4, the best thing to do if you start to get sideways is steer the frontend straight and give it some gas. The front wheels will pull you back in line. I've never driven a locked up prerunner out there, I'd imagine it's a lot more dangerous to get sideways in a 2WD, and a locker would seem to make that worse.

There is a single Chevron station on Grand Ave in Grover Beach that has lots of free compressed air to air back up. There also used to be a coin op car wash there too, not sure if it's still there. I used to pressure wash underneath as soon as I got off the sand. Then I'd use soap and water the following morning. Beach salt and rust is no joke.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! State park rangers are out there. Sometimes in trucks, sometimes in quads. They have a sandrail also. It may seem like an anything goes type of place sometimes, but it's not.

Oh yeah, check the tides before you go. There is a creek crossing on the beach that is questionable in a stock truck when the tide is up. We used to sit and watch people get stuck in that creek at high tide. I have seen a few engines lost in there too. I used to time our arrival and departure to occur at low tide. If you are camping, definitely be aware when setting up camp.

There are quad rental companies here also if you feel like going fast. I second all the cautions about slip faces and drop offs in the dunes. It can be dangerous if you don't know where all the bad spots are. Take it slow.

Edit: Last I heard they are requiring an orange flag and whip on all vehicles in the dunes. Used to be just the quads.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the spray wash is still there.

2wd locker ain't that bad. I'm 4x but I put it in 2wd all the time out there, to make it fair for the other 2wders (and it's fun). Just take it easy and don't push it u will be fine.

Whip n flag are required. They sell them all over up there. Several lil moto stores right before u enter where can get one. if u don't have a mount just shut it in ur tailgate.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #46
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
*and here comes brian to save the day*

hey all

dear OP,

you will be perfectly fine. as long as like people have stated before, air down. its a night and day difference. i personally go 12psi in the front and 10psi in the rear. stop either on somewhat harder packed flat ground or and little down hill. if you want to try and open the taco up a bit, make sure you "pre-run" the area first to see if it has any razor backs or whoops (wash boards) other than that, have fun dude dont loose hope in a 2wd in sand people.. its more capable than you think.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
Victory is reserved...

I'm 4x4 but mobbin in 2wd is waaay more fun.

Also OP, when descending on a hill keep your tires pointed straight unless you want to roll your tire off of the bead.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #49
AZ4point0 is on a distinguished road
Name: V
AZ4point0's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again to all of you for the info,

i am not by any means trying to jump my Tacoma this first try in the sand dunes,
wanna go check it out and cruise around, waited a long time to pay a junk of money for this truck, i'll leave that for people who have a truck built to run the dunes.
i do have to drive to LA afterwards and back home, really wouldn't want to be stuck there with a broken truck.

We are gonna be there June 21st and 22nd - Fri evening its of to Hell A.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #50
GFO DMC LBR
dirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirty dangler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: adam
dirty dangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
*and here comes brian to save the day*

hey all

dear OP,

you will be perfectly fine. as long as like people have stated before, air down. its a night and day difference. i personally go 12psi in the front and 10psi in the rear. stop either on somewhat harder packed flat ground or and little down hill. if you want to try and open the taco up a bit, make sure you "pre-run" the area first to see if it has any razor backs or whoops (wash boards) other than that, have fun dude dont loose hope in a 2wd in sand people.. its more capable than you think.
you must realize your truck weighs half as much as most peoples...not all 2wd smash like yours....fist pump
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #51
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dangler View Post
you must realize your truck weighs half as much as most peoples...not all 2wd smash like yours....fist pump
ive done it in my dads truck before. i think a lot of it has to deal with driver skill as well
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #52
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
ive done it in my dads truck before. i think a lot of it has to deal with driver skill as well
Air down and keep momentum up is most of it. Limited slip rear helps too.

We used to go out there with a guy in a early 70's 2wd half ton Dodge. He went most places we did....he'd been riding quads out there since he could walk.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #53
AZ4point0 is on a distinguished road
Name: V
AZ4point0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
But to the OP: We're having a meet at pismo August 3rd. That'd be a good time for you to go and meet some members.
Is this August 3rd date still active for Pismo Meet, had to make some changes in my plans here and have to take the Subaru instead of the truck next week but thinking i might come out for this date as well and bringing the truck!!