Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Official Anza Borrego/Split Mountain trip

View Poll Results: Who's down for an Anza-Borrego trip??
Totally down for overnight 2 day camping trip! 17 43.59%
Willing to go, but only for a day trip. 9 23.08%
Too far for me to drive. 3 7.69%
F#%K that it's WAYYYY too hot!!! 12 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Official Anza Borrego/Split Mountain trip

Please see post #117 on Page 6!

JUNE 22ND-24th!!!

Map link: http://goo.gl/maps/Ytgt

__________________________________________________ _______________

[THE LIST]

JayDirt
PrerunnerChris
n0ms
Bo Rocks
csjumper2003
AMG4life
Socalduckslayer
Leoffensive
mike89
yotanation29 - Maybe
BIGBADJON22 - Maybe
Deadhed61 – Maybe
magikbean562 – Maybe
Wholito – Maybe
Gelo760 - Maybe
RJALLDAY702 - Maybe
Jmarsh - Maybe

__________________________________________________ ________________

Okay guys, so our OC meet was such a success, that I decided to take on a new challenge of organizing a trip out to one of my favorite places in Southern California, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Please vote on your standpoint. Post up if you have any ideas, or would like to help take charge of some of the organizing aspects.

WHO: Anybody who is willing to make it out for an awesome adventure, literally in the middle of nowhere.

WHERE: Anza-Borrego is located in inland SD county, very close to Ocotillo Wells and the Salton Sea. It's about 1.5 hours from SD, 3 hours from OC, and about 4 hours from LA, depending on how you come down (I-5 south, or I-10 east). It is very desolate, very dry, very hot, and very deadly if precautions are not taken. The closest gas station is about 35-40 min away ($5.45/gal last time I was there).

The exact place in the park is Split Mountain/Fish Creek Wash area. It's famous for it's unique geologic formations, marine fossils, and it's dramatic slot canyons.

WHAT: I was thinking either do a day trip, or an overnight trip during the weekend. There is open camping throughout the entire park, meaning you are not required to use a campground. The only thing we need is a metal container for fire, if we decide to do an overnight trip. Weather is usually in the triple digits during the summer...but where we are going there is some shade from the narrow canyons. Weather at night is usually in the 70's. TONS OF WATER IS REQUIRED. THIS PLACE WILL KILL YOU IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED.

Park entry is free, and so is camping. Just need to bring all necessary supplies as there are no stores or services for 30+ miles.

We can organize caravans out to the spot from each corner of SoCal, for instance the OC group can meet somewhere along the way and drive down to the park together.

WHEN: June 22nd-24th.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
sounds awesome!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
gonna be a hot trip
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed, interested if I can get out of work.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
If i have money I'll cruise
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in, depending on the dates. And since its so far for me, it would def have to be an overnight trip!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Wholito is on a distinguished road

Wholito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
I'm in, depending on the dates. And since its so far for me, it would def have to be an overnight trip!
Same here. Super interested. I go riding out in Ocotillo a lot thinking of making a hybrid Tacoma/CRF 250 trip out of it.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholito View Post
Same here. Super interested. I go riding out in Ocotillo a lot thinking of making a hybrid Tacoma/CRF 250 trip out of it.

Good idea.......what makes that even better is that I just bought a wr250r!!

def would have to be an over-nighter!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
As stated Bring as much water as you can & coverings for shade, personally I wouldn't touch the dez this time of year during the day, but night times a diff story. Also as stated you can have fires but absolutely

No pallets/treated lumber/construction cut offs /ANYTHING WITH NAILS,SCREWS OR FASTENERS. Must all be natural wood, & not from the park area either !!!..

Believe it or not the park rangers DO check & if you are in violation they'll be more than happy to stick you with a $250.00 fine IIRC...may be more

have fun
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
As stated Bring as much water as you can & coverings for shade, personally I wouldn't touch the dez this time of year during the day, but night times a diff story. Also as stated you can have fires but absolutely

No pallets/treated lumber/construction cut offs /ANYTHING WITH NAILS,SCREWS OR FASTENERS. Must all be natural wood, & not from the park area either !!!..

Believe it or not the park rangers DO check & if you are in violation they'll be more than happy to stick you with a $250.00 fine IIRC...may be more

have fun
I can personally attest to that. The first time we went out there, I thought we were on BLM land so we built our fire in a rock ring. We were 18 miles into the canyon, and hadn't seen another person in over 24 hours. Sure enough, they had eyes in the sky that sent them our location and the Rangers showed up.

They were really nice about it, gave us a warning, but yes it is imperative that we leave the desert the way we found it.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Totally down for overnight camping, maybe even 2 nights! Metal tub, no problem there, we used those during the MDR races.
Need some dates kicked around though, let us know.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #13

All you need is an old washing machine tub! They're free and they work GREAT. Its the classic Redneck firepit.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
All you need is an old washing machine tub! They're free and they work GREAT. Its the classic Redneck firepit.

yup.........
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Go Big Or Go Home!
PrerunnerChris has a spectacular aura aboutPrerunnerChris has a spectacular aura about

PrerunnerChris's Tacoma Gallery
Im down depending on the dates. Lets throw some dates around... What do you guys think of July 13-15 which is the weekend after the 4th or idk if this is enough time for people but i would b down for June 22-24 as well. Let me know what you guys think
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
subd...interested.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #18
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
underground. literally and metaphorically

been busy with a new job and family matters but Im hoping to be able to attend one of these meets soon. Haven't taken the FJ out in a while or seen anyone in a while. Hopefully Im available on whatever day everyone decides on.