Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Calling all Southern California Surfers: Let's go to Baja !

Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
OneWheelDrive's Tacoma Gallery
Calling all Southern California Surfers: Let's go to Baja !

Hey all, I just bought my new Taco, and am getting going on the mods. A long way to go to catch up with you guys.

Anyway, back before I was married, I used to go down to Baja all the time with my family and friends to each fish tacos, drink shitty beer, get sunburned, and surf my brains out. Long story short, I'm 28, I am getting a divorce, I sold my station wagon, bought my dream truck, and am ready to enjoy the freedom of Baja again with my dog and some good people.

I would love to do a trip in the next month or so, hopefully coordinated with some tasty south swell. The problem is, I haven't been down further than Ensenada in some time, and would love to go with someone who really knows their way around. In the next week, my rig will be truck camping capable. Going to build an elevated bed, install Snugtop, OME lift, Camburg UCAs should be on this week also.

I'd like to do at least 4-5 days. The more remote, the better. I'd like to avoid the busier spots like Scorpion Bay. I'm very flexible with work right now, and I need to get outta dodge to get my head right. Anyone in? Maybe have a trip planned already that I can jump in with? Let's do this!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
SooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really nice

SooeyDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't been down there in years.
Is it still sketchy down there with all the drug wars and shit?

I would love to hear from anyone that has been down there recently as well.
Some uncrowded point break action would be sick.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
tacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacobot's Tacoma Gallery
I'm super jealous!

... I have no vacation time *and I don't live in Southern CA. Yet.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went down to Punta San Jose, about an hour past Ensenada last August with some firemen who are south of the border twice a month. Their advice: as long as you drive during the day, avoid the cities at night, and don't go looking for trouble, trouble won't find you. The real danger is border towns. The mob and corrupt cops don't tend to frequent the remote fishing villages where the surf is good.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
SooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really niceSooeyDawg is just really nice

SooeyDawg's Tacoma Gallery
At least you guys have Half moon Bay....we have traffic and crowded surf.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
SamoTaco is on a distinguished road

SamoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
I went down to Punta San Jose, about an hour past Ensenada last August with some firemen who are south of the border twice a month.
I was just about to suggest Punta San Jose... Not much sense in heading to central baja for South swells and a 4-5 day trip is a little short to push for baja sur... I guess abre might be worth it with the right swell... sure dont need upgraded suspension for that though...

There is some fun surf if you explore south of erendira as well...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

So are you in? I've had some great longboard days in Abreojos, but with that new road, it's hardly "remote". I could do San Jose again. Pretty easy drive. Need some real swell though, and the forecast is looking pretty bleak. I think 4th of July through Sunday the 8th or Monday the 9th could be a good time frame. Never been to Erendira, heard good things though. Is that k-181?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoTaco View Post
I was just about to suggest Punta San Jose... Not much sense in heading to central baja for South swells and a 4-5 day trip is a little short to push for baja sur... I guess abre might be worth it with the right swell... sure dont need upgraded suspension for that though...

There is some fun surf if you explore south of erendira as well...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
SamoTaco is on a distinguished road

SamoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
So are you in? I've had some great longboard days in Abreojos, but with that new road, it's hardly "remote". I could do San Jose again. Pretty easy drive. Need some real swell though, and the forecast is looking pretty bleak. I think 4th of July through Sunday the 8th or Monday the 9th could be a good time frame. Never been to Erendira, heard good things though. Is that k-181?

My schedule is actually pretty nightmarish right now and I cant commit to any trips in the short term future. Later in the summer though I might be up for something. Best of luck down there! I love the stretch of coast from San Jose down to cabo colonet. Its like california pre-colonization.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

Bump! Looking like there will be some swell next week.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down in Ensenada and San Felipe all the time for racing and never have the time to just chill and camp, I don't.surf but camping on the beach in baja sounds great! If I weren't already commited to other trips and racing commitments I'd be totally down to go with.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
MadTaco461's Tacoma Gallery
I got a grip of vacation time racked up but I'm a crap surfer with anything larger than 4ft and don't hate me for this but I'm a good spunger though. Only prob is I know mexico waaayyy less than you. Only been to mexico three times in my life.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
CallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the rough
CallMeCesar's Tacoma Gallery
Baja Trip

I have apartments in Rosarito your welcome to stay in. My dad lives down there so your rig will be safe. I don't know how to surf but would love to learn. Apartment to stay in for some surf lessons. Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, did you guys ever go? I am going to go down there soon!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe he never got back? The beer must have done it ?! LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #16

Hey guys. I do go very regularly. Sometimes some light wheeling is necessary but most of the places I frequent are easy access, have cheap fish tacos and cold(ish) beers available. I'm keeping an eye on the southern hemisphere and when the south swells start firing, I'll be down there quite a bit. Anyone that would like to plan a trip for a long weekend or something, I'm in for sure.

-Pete
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You would like Bahia Asuncion (when the waves are coming in from the south)... Paved road, nice people, cold beer, great food... www.bahiaasuncion.com See Shari (Canadian/Mexican) who runs a B&B and other services.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
I don't surf but heading down there may 30th for the 500, anyone else?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe... We need a Baja 500 thread...!