Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Bad TC UCA bushing

Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bad TC UCA bushing

anyone know a local place to buy a new bushing?

this one on the right is bulging and squeaky
Attached Thumbnails
Bad TC UCA bushing-img_1170.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
looks just like mine..when was the last time you greased em?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looks about the same and that are about the same, unless there is something I don't see in the picture. I would try and grease them.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I grease them every oil change, 2-3 squirts
the last few times it really hasn't taken the grease and none builds up between the washers, like the others.

About a year ago I loosened up the bolt and greased em, saw grease come out.

But it came back, it's like the grease isnt getting through those small channels in the bushing.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a bad bushing. You need to take them apart and make sure you have the washers on there correctly. On one side of each of the washers there are three small scores placed there to alow the grease to distribute. The budged bushings are the result of the washers facing the wrong way. The scored side of the washer faces the bushing.

If you are certain they are this way already, you have the bolt too tight.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
The bulging bushing is from OVER greasing. I know first hand. I had it happen to mine. The grease is pushing on the end of the bushing, forcing it out of the UCA. My fix was to take the UCA completely off and remove the bushings. Clean everything, re-install, re-grease, but with less this time. They really don't need a lot of grease, and if they are squeaking it is probably because there is too much grease, distorting the bushing.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
When I regrease my uppers I back off the nut for the screw, grease, then retighten
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
squeaking is probably from the uniball itself
Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Thread killer

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just jacked it up, loosened, regreased, tightened back to 70lbs instead of 85
We'll see

And put tri flow in the uniball
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
The bulging bushing is from OVER greasing. I know first hand. I had it happen to mine. The grease is pushing on the end of the bushing, forcing it out of the UCA. My fix was to take the UCA completely off and remove the bushings. Clean everything, re-install, re-grease, but with less this time. They really don't need a lot of grease, and if they are squeaking it is probably because there is too much grease, distorting the bushing.

This ^^^
Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
anyone know a local place to buy a new bushing?

this one on the right is bulging and squeaky
IF you greased them, did you back off the shaft bolt? If you did not then the bulge is from the grease trapped and under pressure. You can take a small pointed device and push in the ball on the zerk, while squeezing the bushing to free some of the pressure.

Typically you loosen the shaft bolt to allow the grease to squeeze around the bushing and on the points in need of grease.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Thread killer

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
the bulge is back my previous attempt did not work.

ok so this time I took off the UCA re-fitted the bushing and sleeve, applied grease when installing.

gave it a pump of grease when it was all back together but not tight.
It oozed out a lttle.

got it snug, lowered the truck and tightened.. at around 50 ftlbs it started to bulge again. It all seem to be seating properly IDK!!!!

I guess I'll just replace the bushing like I originally wanted too.

Anyone know a shop that has them or should I just order online?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Thread killer

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Did you look at the orientation of the washers as stated above?
Yes, forgot to mention.
They looked the same , smooth on both sides
I flipped it fwiw.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
fidencio74 is on a distinguished road

Name: Fidencio
fidencio74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
Yes, forgot to mention.
They looked the same , smooth on both sides
I flipped it fwiw.
Did you take the grease out of the busings? The same thing happened to me when i installed mine, I had to dissasembled one of the uca. After that, it was fine.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Thread killer

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidencio74 View Post
Did you take the grease out of the busings? The same thing happened to me when i installed mine, I had to dissasembled one of the uca. After that, it was fine.
went on vacation the last few days.

Still bad after 800 miles, I plan to take it apart this week.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
The best answer for this that I ever heard came from Total Chaos themselves:

"You want race truck parts? You get race truck sounds."

FWIW that bushing isn't terribly bulgy and is probably fine for many many more miles. I'd just ignore it.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Thread killer

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
well, I had some time and I took off the UCA

made a drive to Kartek, bought a whole set because they probably need to be changed soon

now I'm putting them back on.

You can really see how the bushing is bowed when it's off.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad TC UCA bushing-img_1249.jpg   Bad TC UCA bushing-img_1252.jpg