1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gone Camping California Edition

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by CallMeCesar, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Jul 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    CallMeCesar

CallMeCesar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    Hello to Everyone,

Just got a sportz truck tent can't wait to use it, great deal to $100 brand new on CL. So anyways the wife and I are going driving to Crescent City in August for a wedding but planning on camping for 10 days all the way home To So Cal(909). Were hoping to get some suggestions on where to stop along the way back. Campsites, sightseeing, restaurants, and pretty much anything else that would be interesting and fun. Thanks TW looking forward to suggestions.

Hope we can keep this thread going for any future campers, so post your trips and suggestions. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    MikeMH

MikeMH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Do you think that you have enough room with the short bed? I have an adventure truck tent I'll be transferring to the Tacoma when I get it, I was just worried about having enough space in the short bed for wifey, dog and I. We have plenty of space in the 6' bed I currently have, so I think while it may be tighter, it should be manageable. The wheel wells aren't smack in the middle with the short bed too, so that should help.

I'd get the LB, but I want the TRD OR and the wheelbase on the LB is the same as the Ram 1500 I used to have...kinda nullifies the mid-sized truck to me.

3. Jul 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Nice setup and sweet deal! You didn't say if you were planning to camp down the coast or head into the Sierras. If going to the mountains, definitely pick up a can of bear spray if you don't already have one. Had a big cinnamon blackie stroll straight into my camp on the North Yuba last year even though I was standing there shining a flashlight in his face (bear spray was ready in my other hand). He came to about 20 ft from me before finally deciding I wasn't worth whatever grub I might have. Also get bear-proof canisters or use bear boxes (where available) for your food/toiletries/anything with an odor to keep them out of your stuff.

4. Jul 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    MikeMH

Here is a pic of me laying inside the tent I'm about 5'10" and still had a few inches of clearance as you can see by the pics. The tent is a little large but the excess length fits very well between the cab and bed with out any problems to the setup. I don't believe we will have in issues with sleeping arrangement with the wife and I. A small to med Dog I believe would be good as well just. Must be with the tail gate down. I also included a pic of the fit list that came with the box I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jul 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    Bobbb

Thanks Bobb your right I forgot to mention we will be traveling back along the coast. I think some we will pick up some bear spray great suggestion. What do you think is a good and not to expense brand?

6. Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    MikeMH

MikeMH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Thanks for the pics, reaffirms my confidence that the short bed will be fine :thumbsup:

7. Jul 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Bobbb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    The link I added earlier is the stuff that I carry. Not because I think it's the best or anything, but does what I need it to and was readily available in my area. IIRC it's like $50-55 for the 9oz can at Sportsman's Whorehouse. There are other good brands as well, just check at your nearest sporting goods store. The one thing I would say is to buy a large enough canister to be able to spray it more than once if neccesary (he might come back again before morning--unlikely, but has happened). What I mean is, don't buy the little pocket-sized 'mugger' cans of OC because it'll be gone too quickly if you should ever need it.

Also, make sure it's designed as bear spray because their nozzle design puts out a 'shotgun blast' type spray pattern rather than a squirt stream. When you've got a bear (or other large fang-bearing furbag) getting too close for comfort, precise aiming is not what you want to be worried about.

8. Jul 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Places I'd recommend from Crescent City to SoCal (assuming you're sticking to the coast):

Redwood National Forest
    Ladybird Johnson Redwood Grove
    Klamath River
    Patrick's Point
    Moonstone Beach
    Samoa Cookhouse (Eureka, CA)
    Humboldt Redwoods State Park
    Confusion Hill
    Small towns along US-101 to San Fran
    Golden Gate Bridge
    San Francisco sights
    Santa Cruz
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    17 Mile Drive
    Pebble Beach Golf Course
    Carmel, CA
    Andrew Molera State Park
    Big Sur, CA
    Big Sur River Inn and Restaurant
    Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
    McWay Falls
    Elephant Seal Preserve
    Hearst Castle
    Cambria, CA
    Moro Bay, CA
    Moro Rock State Park
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Firestone Grill - DO NOT MISS THE TRI-TIP SANDWICH HERE!!
    Woodstocks Pizza
    Downtown Brewery
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Oceano Dunes
    Monarch Butterfly Grove
    Solvang, CA
    Cachuma Lake
    Santa Barbara, CA

I've done this route many times, and I always stop in these places. Not sure where all the local campgrounds are, but anything near those features is good. Just be careful in Six Rivers and Trinity National Forest...that's prime growing country, and the locals don't really take too kindly to outsiders up there.

9. Dec 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    The Traveler And Bobb

Thanks for all the suggestions it was a great trip can't to do it again will be posting more pics. Tri Tip was great best I ever had. Thanks for all the great suggestions can't wait to do it again. Luckily we didn't need the bear spray but it was nice knowing we had just incase we needed it.

P1010548.jpg
    P1010740.jpg
    P1010865.jpg
    Trip Tip and fries.jpg
    Fire Stone Grill.jpg

10. Dec 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    Bobbb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Glad it was a good trip! Looks like some nice coastal scenery too!

11. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    RacerAV

RacerAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    sweet! subbed for info!

12. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    No Yosemite?! Man I couldn't go back to Cali without seeing that place again. Absolutely breath taking.

13. Dec 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    Where were these pictures taken? Looks like you got a great campsite, what campground is this?

14. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    voodootruckers

voodootruckers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice photos, looks like a few from Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP and Big Sur. Looks fun!

15. Dec 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    Here's A few more pics I hope everyone will enjoy. Being from So. Cal. I am not used to seeing so much green, it was absolutely beautiful. I snapped a few pics at the Trees of Mystery hope there ok. I also took a picture of the Log "mansion" a friend let us stay in it was great(roughing it lol). My first time in the Redwoods and a log home awesome time. There's a mural of the two fighters I thought was cool. I can't recall the mans name but he did it all with a chainsaw along time ago.

Didn't have to go to Yosemite this time but i'm hoping for this summer. With a Roof top tent i'm hoping to get. I will post more info on camp sites and numbers for anyone who is interested. Enjoy California!!!!

Trees Of Mystery.jpg
    Paul and Ox with Visitors.jpg
    RedWoods and Fog.jpg
    Log House.jpg
    Original UFC.jpg

16. Dec 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    pelon

pelon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, ca.
    Vehicle:
    01 sloppy expo taco 4x4
    all-pro bumpers, skids & rock sliders, Smiity Built XRC 8000 winch, all-pro expo rack and leaves, Exit0customes dual swing rear bumber, cambrug mid-travel, manual lock conv, F&R 4.56's & ARB's, TRD sc, hdrs, exh, OMF bead locks, PCI radio, Tepui Roof top tent
    That looks cool. I am would be interested in getting a off road camping trip going.

17. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    BeEatNU

BeEatNU Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Gardena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab Limited
    nice, Cesar where did you go to take these pics?

18. Dec 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    Well first pic was to "Mill Creek Camp" Ground just south of Crescent City unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the info on the space. I will keep digging. We also visited The Trees of Mystery which is about 10 minutes from the camp ground. The other camp ground, the one with my feet by the fire was a private ground named "Riverside Creek campground" in Big Sur, Ca. There was no number assigned there but the two ladies who checked us in were extremely nice and waited up for us since had a late check. Due to the 7 hour drive from Mill Creek which took about 7 hours with a stop in Carmel for dinner. Heres some info on Mill Creek hope it helps.

Mill Creek Campground (currently CLOSED for winter season)

Sleep beneath towering maples, alders, and young coast redwoods, with access to Mill Creek, miles of varied hiking trails,, and seasonal campfire programs.
    Map

Location: Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, 7 miles south of Crescent City, Calif. on Hwy 101.
    Open: May 1 through September 7.
    Sites: 145 tent or RV (no hook-ups); hiker/biker sites available.
    Facilities: Hot showers, ADA accessible restrooms, dump station, picnic tables, firepits and barbeques, food lockers and trash receptacles, campfire center.
    Vehicle Length Limit: 31-foot RV or 27-foot trailer.
    Fees: $35 per vehicle and $5 per hiker/biker.
    Reservations: January-September, ReserveAmerica or call 1-800-444-7275. Note: ReserveAmerica does not recognize "Mill Creek Campground" as an official campground name on their website (We're currently working with ReserveAmerica to correct this). When searching or browsing for campgrounds at ReserveAmerica, please note that Mill Creek Campground is instead referred to as "DEL NORTE COAST REDWOODS SP, CA."

Link for Riverside

http://www.riversidecampground.com/image-gallery.html

I'm hoping to go to Yosemite in the summer with my wife but will probably take a trip to Baja sooner when weather permits. Anyone interested in helping set up a trip to Cabo and back feel free to contact me and well start up the set up. Hope this info helps apologies for taking so long with the info.

19. Jan 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM
    CallMeCesar

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    New camping setup

uploadfromtaptalk1389265824706.jpg

20. Jan 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Man that looks like a sweet trip. I have camped at Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP in Big Sur. That place is unreal :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top