Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Gone Camping California Edition

Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
CallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the rough
CallMeCesar's Tacoma Gallery
Gone Camping California Edition

Hello to Everyone,

Just got a sportz truck tent can't wait to use it, great deal to $100 brand new on CL. So anyways the wife and I are going driving to Crescent City in August for a wedding but planning on camping for 10 days all the way home To So Cal(909). Were hoping to get some suggestions on where to stop along the way back. Campsites, sightseeing, restaurants, and pretty much anything else that would be interesting and fun. Thanks TW looking forward to suggestions.

Hope we can keep this thread going for any future campers, so post your trips and suggestions. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think that you have enough room with the short bed? I have an adventure truck tent I'll be transferring to the Tacoma when I get it, I was just worried about having enough space in the short bed for wifey, dog and I. We have plenty of space in the 6' bed I currently have, so I think while it may be tighter, it should be manageable. The wheel wells aren't smack in the middle with the short bed too, so that should help.

I'd get the LB, but I want the TRD OR and the wheelbase on the LB is the same as the Ram 1500 I used to have...kinda nullifies the mid-sized truck to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup and sweet deal! You didn't say if you were planning to camp down the coast or head into the Sierras. If going to the mountains, definitely pick up a can of bear spray if you don't already have one. Had a big cinnamon blackie stroll straight into my camp on the North Yuba last year even though I was standing there shining a flashlight in his face (bear spray was ready in my other hand). He came to about 20 ft from me before finally deciding I wasn't worth whatever grub I might have. Also get bear-proof canisters or use bear boxes (where available) for your food/toiletries/anything with an odor to keep them out of your stuff.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
CallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the rough
Fit list

MikeMH

Here is a pic of me laying inside the tent I'm about 5'10" and still had a few inches of clearance as you can see by the pics. The tent is a little large but the excess length fits very well between the cab and bed with out any problems to the setup. I don't believe we will have in issues with sleeping arrangement with the wife and I. A small to med Dog I believe would be good as well just. Must be with the tail gate down. I also included a pic of the fit list that came with the box I hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Coast Traveling

Bobbb

Thanks Bobb your right I forgot to mention we will be traveling back along the coast. I think some we will pick up some bear spray great suggestion. What do you think is a good and not to expense brand?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeCesar View Post
MikeMH

Here is a pic of me laying inside the tent I'm about 5'10" and still had a few inches of clearance as you can see by the pics. The tent is a little large but the excess length fits very well between the cab and bed with out any problems to the setup. I don't believe we will have in issues with sleeping arrangement with the wife and I. A small to med Dog I believe would be good as well just. Must be with the tail gate down. I also included a pic of the fit list that came with the box I hope this helps.

Thanks for the pics, reaffirms my confidence that the short bed will be fine
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bobbb

Thanks Bobb your right I forgot to mention we will be traveling back along the coast. I think some we will pick up some bear spray great suggestion. What do you think is a good and not to expense brand?
The link I added earlier is the stuff that I carry. Not because I think it's the best or anything, but does what I need it to and was readily available in my area. IIRC it's like $50-55 for the 9oz can at Sportsman's Whorehouse. There are other good brands as well, just check at your nearest sporting goods store. The one thing I would say is to buy a large enough canister to be able to spray it more than once if neccesary (he might come back again before morning--unlikely, but has happened). What I mean is, don't buy the little pocket-sized 'mugger' cans of OC because it'll be gone too quickly if you should ever need it.

Also, make sure it's designed as bear spray because their nozzle design puts out a 'shotgun blast' type spray pattern rather than a squirt stream. When you've got a bear (or other large fang-bearing furbag) getting too close for comfort, precise aiming is not what you want to be worried about.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Places I'd recommend from Crescent City to SoCal (assuming you're sticking to the coast):

Redwood National Forest
Ladybird Johnson Redwood Grove
Klamath River
Patrick's Point
Moonstone Beach
Samoa Cookhouse (Eureka, CA)
Humboldt Redwoods State Park
Confusion Hill
Small towns along US-101 to San Fran
Golden Gate Bridge
San Francisco sights
Santa Cruz
Monterey Bay Aquarium
17 Mile Drive
Pebble Beach Golf Course
Carmel, CA
Andrew Molera State Park
Big Sur, CA
Big Sur River Inn and Restaurant
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
McWay Falls
Elephant Seal Preserve
Hearst Castle
Cambria, CA
Moro Bay, CA
Moro Rock State Park
San Luis Obispo, CA
Firestone Grill - DO NOT MISS THE TRI-TIP SANDWICH HERE!!
Woodstocks Pizza
Downtown Brewery
Pismo Beach, CA
Oceano Dunes
Monarch Butterfly Grove
Solvang, CA
Cachuma Lake
Santa Barbara, CA

I've done this route many times, and I always stop in these places. Not sure where all the local campgrounds are, but anything near those features is good. Just be careful in Six Rivers and Trinity National Forest...that's prime growing country, and the locals don't really take too kindly to outsiders up there.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Thanks for all the suggestions

The Traveler And Bobb

Thanks for all the suggestions it was a great trip can't to do it again will be posting more pics. Tri Tip was great best I ever had. Thanks for all the great suggestions can't wait to do it again. Luckily we didn't need the bear spray but it was nice knowing we had just incase we needed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone Camping California Edition-p1010548.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-p1010740.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-p1010865.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-trip-tip-fries.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-fire-stone-grill.jpg  

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it was a good trip! Looks like some nice coastal scenery too!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
RacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Adamo
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
sweet! subbed for info!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
No Yosemite?! Man I couldn't go back to Cali without seeing that place again. Absolutely breath taking.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Flight Ready
Space Junk is on a distinguished road

Army:
Space Junk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Traveler And Bobb

Thanks for all the suggestions it was a great trip can't to do it again will be posting more pics. Tri Tip was great best I ever had. Thanks for all the great suggestions can't wait to do it again. Luckily we didn't need the bear spray but it was nice knowing we had just incase we needed it.
Where were these pictures taken? Looks like you got a great campsite, what campground is this?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
voodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of light

voodootruckers's Tacoma Gallery
Nice photos, looks like a few from Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP and Big Sur. Looks fun!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
A few More Pics of California

Here's A few more pics I hope everyone will enjoy. Being from So. Cal. I am not used to seeing so much green, it was absolutely beautiful. I snapped a few pics at the Trees of Mystery hope there ok. I also took a picture of the Log "mansion" a friend let us stay in it was great(roughing it lol). My first time in the Redwoods and a log home awesome time. There's a mural of the two fighters I thought was cool. I can't recall the mans name but he did it all with a chainsaw along time ago.

Didn't have to go to Yosemite this time but i'm hoping for this summer. With a Roof top tent i'm hoping to get. I will post more info on camp sites and numbers for anyone who is interested. Enjoy California!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone Camping California Edition-trees-mystery.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-paul-ox-visitors.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-redwoods-fog.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-log-house.jpg   Gone Camping California Edition-original-ufc.jpg  

Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
pelon is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
pelon's Tacoma Gallery
That looks cool. I am would be interested in getting a off road camping trip going.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
BeEatNU is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
BeEatNU's Tacoma Gallery
nice, Cesar where did you go to take these pics?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Camping trip

Well first pic was to "Mill Creek Camp" Ground just south of Crescent City unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the info on the space. I will keep digging. We also visited The Trees of Mystery which is about 10 minutes from the camp ground. The other camp ground, the one with my feet by the fire was a private ground named "Riverside Creek campground" in Big Sur, Ca. There was no number assigned there but the two ladies who checked us in were extremely nice and waited up for us since had a late check. Due to the 7 hour drive from Mill Creek which took about 7 hours with a stop in Carmel for dinner. Heres some info on Mill Creek hope it helps.

Mill Creek Campground (currently CLOSED for winter season)

Sleep beneath towering maples, alders, and young coast redwoods, with access to Mill Creek, miles of varied hiking trails,, and seasonal campfire programs.
Map

Location: Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, 7 miles south of Crescent City, Calif. on Hwy 101.
Open: May 1 through September 7.
Sites: 145 tent or RV (no hook-ups); hiker/biker sites available.
Facilities: Hot showers, ADA accessible restrooms, dump station, picnic tables, firepits and barbeques, food lockers and trash receptacles, campfire center.
Vehicle Length Limit: 31-foot RV or 27-foot trailer.
Fees: $35 per vehicle and $5 per hiker/biker.
Reservations: January-September, ReserveAmerica or call 1-800-444-7275. Note: ReserveAmerica does not recognize "Mill Creek Campground" as an official campground name on their website (We're currently working with ReserveAmerica to correct this). When searching or browsing for campgrounds at ReserveAmerica, please note that Mill Creek Campground is instead referred to as "DEL NORTE COAST REDWOODS SP, CA."

Link for Riverside

http://www.riversidecampground.com/image-gallery.html

I'm hoping to go to Yosemite in the summer with my wife but will probably take a trip to Baja sooner when weather permits. Anyone interested in helping set up a trip to Cabo and back feel free to contact me and well start up the set up. Hope this info helps apologies for taking so long with the info.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #19
New camping setup
Attached Thumbnails
Gone Camping California Edition-uploadfromtaptalk1389265824706.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Man that looks like a sweet trip. I have camped at Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP in Big Sur. That place is unreal