Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Prerunner friendly trails?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Prerunner friendly trails?

Hey Tacoma world I've been a long time reader not much of a poster but I'm starting to build my truck so it's more capable for going off roading and super excited. I know I know it's a prerunner but I wanna see what it's capable of doing.

My question is where is there a trail I can visit for my very first time off road in the Orange County area? of course I'll be with other people to guide me along but would like to know how to and where to head out for a beginner.

Or if some TW members wanna head out for a quick run I'll be interested.

I just want to enjoy my Tacoma out where a FWD car wouldn't be able to..

Thanks TW
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Theres few trails out in orange county. There's a thread called orange county meet up and that. An help yeah out
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krans View Post
Hey Tacoma world I've been a long time reader not much of a poster but I'm starting to build my truck so it's more capable for going off roading and super excited. I know I know it's a prerunner but I wanna see what it's capable of doing.

My question is where is there a trail I can visit for my very first time off road in the Orange County area? of course I'll be with other people to guide me along but would like to know how to and where to head out for a beginner.

Or if some TW members wanna head out for a quick run I'll be interested.

I just want to enjoy my Tacoma out where a FWD car wouldn't be able to..

Thanks TW
Welcome to the SoCal TW section!

I live about 10 minutes from some of the best trails in the county, and I rarely put my truck on 4x4, let alone need it. Most of the trails up in the Santa Ana Mountains are fire roads, made to be driven on by service vehicles and 2WD trucks.

For starters, I'd check out Holy Jim Canyon. It's a relatively short trail (3-4 miles), but it's on dirt and I've seen all kinds of SUV's on it, even some normal cars. It's mostly flat, with the exception of a few rain gutters you drive over, but it's a fun trail to start with. Once your comfortable with that (you may already be), I'd check out Maple Springs Rd in Silverado Canyon. It is the only trail from this side of the mountains that will actually give you access to all the other trails in the area, not to mention you can drive all the way to Santiago Peak (5600ft) for an unmatched view of SoCal. Lots of places to explore up there, and I'm confident a Prerunner can make it.

We just had a meet and trail run up there a few months ago, and there were plenty of Prerunners with us who had no difficulties whatsoever. That's not to say you shouldn't be prepared, because there are always risks involved with being somewhere with little to no access to tools/tow services. Cell phone reception is relatively good up there though, and there's usually enough traffic up there to flag somebody down for help if needed.

Have fun!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Listen to this guy. Holy jims is a fun one but Main Divide Trail that takes you up to the peak is fun to make a whole day trip out of and explore. It can take you all the way from Silverado canyon over to Indian Truck Trail in Corona or if you take it further it spits you out all the way in Lake Elsinore on Ortega Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

I live about 10 minutes from some of the best trails in the county, and I rarely put my truck on 4x4, let alone need it. Most of the trails up in the Santa Ana Mountains are fire roads, made to be driven on by service vehicles and 2WD trucks.

For starters, I'd check out Holy Jim Canyon. It's a relatively short trail (3-4 miles), but it's on dirt and I've seen all kinds of SUV's on it, even some normal cars. It's mostly flat, with the exception of a few rain gutters you drive over, but it's a fun trail to start with. Once your comfortable with that (you may already be), I'd check out Maple Springs Rd in Silverado Canyon. It is the only trail from this side of the mountains that will actually give you access to all the other trails in the area, not to mention you can drive all the way to Santiago Peak (5600ft) for an unmatched view of SoCal. Lots of places to explore up there, and I'm confident a Prerunner can make it.

We just had a meet and trail run up there a few months ago, and there were plenty of Prerunners with us who had no difficulties whatsoever. That's not to say you shouldn't be prepared, because there are always risks involved with being somewhere with little to no access to tools/tow services. Cell phone reception is relatively good up there though, and there's usually enough traffic up there to flag somebody down for help if needed.

Have fun!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Theres few trails out in orange county. There's a thread called orange county meet up and that. An help yeah out
Yea I've have read every single post in that thread I'm just waiting for another meet that I can actually attend. Trust me if there was more meets on the trail I wouldn't have started this thred. But thanks for the tip

Quote:

Have fun!

Thanks for the reply. I've heard of holy Jim's trail, mater of fact I was doing some research but couldn't find any good information.the last thing I did hear was that it closed and never opened up. All those trails sound very enticing and would head out there I'm a heart beat if I was there with someone that knew the trail. Beside I just installed my lift tonight and wanna give it a test run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetoblack View Post
Listen to this guy. Holy jims is a fun one but Main Divide Trail that takes you up to the peak is fun to make a whole day trip out of and explore. It can take you all the way from Silverado canyon over to Indian Truck Trail in Corona or if you take it further it spits you out all the way in Lake Elsinore on Ortega Highway.

Thanks for the advise that is something I am for sure interested in doing but I know I'll probably end up lost in the mountains somewhere. Most deffinently holy Jim very soon once I get my tires mounted Thursday.

On a side note I also read somewhere on TW That you needed to buy some sort of pass to go off road is that true?

Thanks everyone all this information great!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
hey Kenny... if you want to take a trip into the prerunner darkside, feel free to roll with us out to the desert... i would invite you to this weekend's run, but it's going to be a bit rough and don't wanna put you through it if you are new to it all...
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
hey Kenny... if you want to take a trip into the prerunner darkside, feel free to roll with us out to the desert... i would invite you to this weekend's run, but it's going to be a bit rough and don't wanna put you through it if you are new to it all...
Listen to this guy as well! haha

I live in hermosa, Hi neighbor! haha.

Depending on your type of offroading, It varies whats "close" to us.

If your more of a exploring/crawling kind of guy, This guy is on the momey!
vv

Quote:

Have fun!

But If your into the more desert kind of thing, And want to go a little more fast paced, Barstow is about 2 hours away I believe, Also Lucerne is 3 hours away I think!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krans View Post
On a side note I also read somewhere on TW That you needed to buy some sort of pass to go off road is that true?
You do not need a pass to go off-roading anywhere in the Santa Ana mountains, except Wildomar OHV (off highway vehicle) park off Ortega Highway and Main Divide Rd. They require what is known as the red or green sticker...depending on your vehicle. Wildomar is a bit technical, so I wouldn't head up there without somebody who knows the lines, and at least a recovery vehicle.

You DO, however, need a Forest Adventure Pass if you plan on parking your truck anywhere in a National Forest area. Even if you're sitting in your truck eating lunch, park rangers will cite you for not having one. You can pick up a day pass at Silverado market or Trabuco General Store for $5.00, or you can buy a year long pass. Not sure how much they charge for that one.