Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
i think it would need to rain for a week straight to fill that dry lake bed though...
Right? Plus, Ive never seen any soft terrain at the lake bed, no worries on getting stuck. You all don't have to worry so much, there will probably be quite a few people out there.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #42
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedTRD View Post
What time is everyone meeting at for this prerun?
hey Will, if you are goin, i will be out there mapping chase routes and access roads...

hit me on race radio 153.110
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #43
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregero View Post
Seems a tad hairy bein there alone at night or even durin the hot day. I imagine it's soft terrain out there since its mid summer. I guess I'll drive as far as I can go and where I get stuck is where I'll camp yeah but wheeling in unfamiliar territory alone is scary. I'll only camp if I know that someone else will be there for sure. was hoping to get a night under the stars but if not- o well.

Oh and a little interesting knowledge. Bessemer Mine rd is home to the oldest being on earth; the King Clone Creosote Bush is 11,700 years old.
2 weeks ago we drove the entire Bessemer mine road from highway 247 all the way to Interstate 40 in the middle of the week by ourselves, it was the opening kickoff to our mega 3 state road/wheeling vacation trip. it's a easy road to navigate and it's entire lenght is covered by a normal GPS. there are no parts of Bessemer mine road that can flood even if it rained hours on end. it's possible that the dry lake bed(named Soggy Dry Lake Bed lol) can accumulate an inch or two of standing water during a lenghty down pour but even then it's less likely that you will get stuck even with a 2wd truck.

keep in mind that this meteor storm is an annual event and that there will be many many people out there to observe the meteor shower so you wont be alone
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i just remembered that the start line of the race course is at the other dry lake bed off Camp Rock Road...

Greg, make sure you find us before we start pre-running as your handheld radio may not reach us if we are on the other side of the course from Bessemer...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
ive seen el mirage dry lake bed fill in a day of decent rain. just a friendly heads up
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #46
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
2 weeks ago we drove the entire Bessemer mine road from highway 247 all the way to Interstate 40
James, Johnnie, and i did that once... we made the mistake of turning right in the trail just before the 40 and ended up crossing into some military testing zone...

i was leading and saw the signs, but since the barbed wire fence had been cut, i just kept going... hahaha
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #47
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
James, Johnnie, and i did that once... we made the mistake of turning right in the trail just before the 40 and ended up crossing into some military testing zone...

i was leading and saw the signs, but since the barbed wire fence had been cut, i just kept going... hahaha
just keep going straight when you pass under the powerlines lol...that last sandy box canyon with all turns that leads to the 40 is so freaken awesome! 4 wheel drifts the entire time..BRAPP!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #48
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
just keep going straight when you pass under the powerlines lol...that last sandy box canyon with all turns that leads to the 40 is so freaken awesome! 4 wheel drifts the entire time..BRAPP!!!!!!!!!
i remember that canyon... JawKnee's truck got stuck in there... glad that TWA was with us...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #49
Power Top

Quote:
i remember that canyon... JawKnee's truck got stuck in there... glad that TWA was with us...
.....and HBMurphy destroyed his second wheel in as little as 24hours
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #52
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
ive seen el mirage dry lake bed fill in a day of decent rain. just a friendly heads up
I think we'll be ok
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #53
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_flood
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I think we'll be ok
Im not saying you wont be Ive just seen it happen every year for the past 3 years. I work by El Mirage and i drive past it everyday and one day it will be completely dry and the next it will be a lake of water.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #55
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon H View Post
Didn't he have those wheels for like a day????
Yeah..

how about the big dent he got on his door on the first rock at the trail head to bull frog lol
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #56
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Im not saying you wont be Ive just seen it happen every year for the past 3 years. I work by El Mirage and i drive past it everyday and one day it will be completely dry and the next it will be a lake of water.
I know, messing with you, hence floatie pic. I know what a flash flood is. Just saying, we'll probably be fine. I've never seen it fill before, but if you want to camp somewhere higher, couldn't hurt. Still would be stuck if it flooded, got to come back down to get out. But I will bring my floaties just in case
Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #57
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:
Yeah..

how about the big dent he got on his door on the first rock at the trail head to bull frog lol
I remember that!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I know, messing with you, hence floatie pic. I know what a flash flood is. Just saying, we'll probably be fine. I've never seen it fill before, but if you want to camp somewhere higher, couldn't hurt. Still would be stuck if it flooded, got to come back down to get out. But I will bring my floaties just in case
i wish i could be there its damn near my back yard... but im over seas and my truck is in the shop so im skipping out on all runs till atleast december
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #59
I <3 Pink Tacos
JawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
JawKnee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah and I almost sheared off my upper mounts. That's what I get for watching 2 Fast 2 Furious before wheeling. That was a fun run though. I'd like to do it again.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #60
LT Chase Truck

what an amazing day out there!!!

the storm moved in and only rained in scattered locations, so the whole area dropped in temps by almost 20 degrees, and it wasn't nasty humid either...

and the dry lake bed actually did fill up with water by about 3 inches and i thought it was just a mirage when i powered into it from one of the chase roads, but SoCalRoadie figured out it was actually water and called it but it was too late... i went sideways in it and got covered in mud... haha...

Attached Thumbnails
MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0003a.jpg   MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0010a.jpg   MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0012a.jpg   MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0016a.jpg   MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0051a.jpg  

MDR Memorial Run Saturday 8/11/2012-img_0027a.jpg