Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

OHV registration fees..

Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
OHV registration fees..

I am attempting to sell my old dirtbike that I never registered when I bought it from the first owner. I called the DMV to see how much I would have to pay to put it in my name to be able to sell it. They said it's going to cost about 280 f-ing dollars. That's registration and tax, other bs fees, etc. How much does it usually cost? I have registered a few ohv toys years ago, and I thought it was about 40-50 bucks. Am I getting ripped or is that what it costs nowadays?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
I am attempting to sell my old dirtbike that I never registered when I bought it from the first owner. I called the DMV to see how much I would have to pay to put it in my name to be able to sell it. They said it's going to cost about 280 f-ing dollars. That's registration and tax, other bs fees, etc. How much does it usually cost? I have registered a few ohv toys years ago, and I thought it was about 40-50 bucks. Am I getting ripped or is that what it costs nowadays?
Well what year bike? Normally with my 4, its about 65 each when they are current.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like they're charging you previous back pay. Normally around $45 a year.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Well I havent updated mine yet, I just bought it recently. Title transfer and taxes came aout around 350, which I thought was ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Danm

For sure back fees! the three that we own are all 50$ each. You should pay if u ride in high profile areas, they can take your shit!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Well I havent updated mine yet, I just bought it recently. Title transfer and taxes came aout around 350, which I thought was ridiculous.
WTH?! Thats without back reg. fees? That seems like there is something majorly wrong.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my bike is a 1997. I bought in 05, and never transferred the title to my name. Basically, it's been in limbo this whole time. The DMV guy said there aren't any penalties, it's basically just 200 in transfer fees. The other hundred is the tax. This still seems outrageous though, from what I remember, even transferring titles was only about 60 bucks. I don't what to do now. I can't sell the bike with those kind of fees passed to the new guy, and I'm not going to pay 300 bucks just to sell the bike. Thieving bastards.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
I do out of state reg on all my bikes, I would rather not pay California registration only to have that very money help shut down the OHV areas when the Govt. "Borrows" the OHV funds for something more important! Like they do every year. This year it was 30+ million dollars stolen or wait I mean "borrowed with no intention on paying it back" from the fund.

If your selling the bike let the new owner figure it out, just tell him you didnt register it since it was not being used, there are ways around the fees if you talk to the right person, if it wasnt being used, legally you dont need to register it IE: used only as a track bike where reg. is not required, they cant charge you for registration that wasnt needed. They try to do this anyway and it is unlawful, the DMV is NOT a Govt. entity, it is a private business reguardless of what people think. They try to get away with all kinds of shady stuff, lame.

They tried to do this to me and I wrote them a letter telling that it was illegal to try and charge me for something I didnt want or intend to use just because they wanted to charge me for something they thought I was going to use.

Sell it as is, and tell the new owner the deal, he should be able to skirt around it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
California is a joke! For fees! I hate politics!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Green/red sticker is about $52 for 2 years. The transfer tax and all that other stuff is something you'll never get around.

If you register out of state, you will still need to have non-resident OHV stickers to ride on FS or OHV areas.

And although it's a matter of semantics, the legislators do not borrow or steal from the OHV fund, they merely divert the funds before they ever get into the fund. Doesn't really change the fact monies are not being used for their intended purpose

Lastly, the DMV isn't a private business. It's through fees tacked onto registration that the State of California funds stuff that has nothing to do with automobiles or driving.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
WTH?! Thats without back reg. fees? That seems like there is something majorly wrong.
Oh I know. I got tabs as well but that stil seemed way out of what it should have been.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Green/red sticker is about $52 for 2 years. The transfer tax and all that other stuff is something you'll never get around.

If you register out of state, you will still need to have non-resident OHV stickers to ride on FS or OHV areas.

And although it's a matter of semantics, the legislators do not borrow or steal from the OHV fund, they merely divert the funds before they ever get into the fund. Doesn't really change the fact monies are not being used for their intended purpose

Lastly, the DMV isn't a private business. It's through fees tacked onto registration that the State of California funds stuff that has nothing to do with automobiles or driving.
Ah, well then the person I spoke with at AAA was misinformed, they said it was not an actual govt. agency. It was just funded by them but not owned, either way..

As far as reg, I use an AZ license and get non-resident OHV stickers if I am racing etc, otherwise I dont even get a sticker, I just dont make eye contact with LEO and tend to go in the other direction rapidly!

Transfer tax can be substatially lowered or eliminated if you have a bill of sale that says "Gift", there are ways, you just have to know the workarounds.

And the legislature blatantly "STEALS" money, this state is so fked up, using the "Do as I say, not as I do" Policy!! Our state leaders are the biggest criminals of all and they seem to operate with impunity! Big brother can kik you ass and they know it, Hmm a democracy huh, something like that. What a double edged sword...

OK I am stepping off my soap box!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
AAA is a private company who has a contract to provide some DMV services. You pay for that service and AAA pays the DMV for the privilege of providing them...win-win Better than standing in line at the DMV but not better than dealing with them on-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Ah, well then the person I spoke with at AAA was misinformed, they said it was not an actual govt. agency. It was just funded by them but not owned, either way.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
AAA is a private company who has a contract to provide some DMV services. You pay for that service and AAA pays the DMV for the privilege of providing them...win-win Better than standing in line at the DMV but not better than dealing with them on-line
Thats why I go to AAA for everything I can, but they dont do OHV stickers, not that I want one but....