1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Ticket Cost More Than A Plate Bumper!!!!!

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by alexretama, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    When you get a ticket, it's solely your responsibility to comply (payment or court appearance), Alex. If the name on your ticket didn't match the name on your check or money order, you should have noted that when submitting payment. You certainly would have corrected any other similar mail transaction (for example, the name & address on a mail order purchase).

In this case, since the information didn't match, the payment was rejected by the payment processing center. That left the ticket unanswered on the books, with a court issuing that response (failure to appear notice, license suspension, etc).

That said, you still might be able to get a reduced fine if you can show you made a good-faith effort to pay (how depends on your method of payment). However, if you go in yelling like a maniac (about the state being broke, you being raped, their mistake alone, etc), certainly don't expect anyone to go out of their way. A more measured response, with an admission of your involvement in this mistake, would go much further.

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    I have had citations thrown out due to errors on the ticket made by the officer. However it wasnt a name spelling error..

3. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    In high school I remember a guy getting a ticket thrown out due to the cop not spelling out the full address ex north st instead of north street. I think he dad was a lawyer or something, normal people probably couldn't get away with something like that

4. Oct 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    alexretama

alexretama [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    This state blows! I got a huge runaround today.. People telling me to go here others telling me to go back there.. And I wasnt literally going downtown to scream at people and punch them in their stupid faces, despite how much I wanted to. I was calm, undestanding, and polite and still no one is willing to help or point me in the general correct direction. I think it's lawyer time. Im so tired of this BS

5. Oct 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    At the same time I absolutely can not believe that this happens in our country. Not that I'm not outraged but if I didnt have the means to simply pay the man just to get him off my back and I ended up in jail because of it, I would fucking lose it.

6. Oct 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    thats good ol Derp a fornia for ya

7. Oct 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Sucks to hear OP, hope this gets resolved in your favor.

8. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Raddbus

Raddbus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Santa Maria
    Vehicle:
    TRUE BLU TACO
    Illuminated 4X4 switch, 3" lift,
    I would fight it. If a cop makes a mistake in writing the ticket, ie, misspelled, heavy traffic when it was light traffic, whatever the mistake, it will be thrown out, I would fight it and get ALL your money back, even the $187. I had a cop make a mistake on a ticket I got years ago, judge throw it out. Do you have the cancelled check? I would take it to court with you, but defiantly be calm, the judge wasn't the one making the mistake or setting up the fine.

9. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I can't believe this isn't a simple matter to straighten out. I mean, the OP paid the original ticket and probably can provide proof of that.

Worst case in GA is the court clerk would get the original payment credited to the right person, then end case closed. And a good chance it would be dismissed with a refund due to the officer's error.

If CA is that bad, you guys need to move.

10. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Lawyer up and let him deal with the derpitydoodahfornianess of the situation. Even if doing that costs the same amount as paying the fine, it is so worth it on principle alone because of the fucktard way shit is set up to frustrate those caught up in it so they just give up and pay vs. actually getting justice for crap like this.

11. Oct 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have to wonder if the OP actually PAID the original ticket...

12. Oct 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well he said he did in post ONE on pg 1.......

"I got a 4 month extension on it and submitted a full payment of $187 and change before my appear date..

Come today, A failure to appear notice, suspended licence notice, and a notice that my warrant will be issued to a collection agency if I dont take immediate action.. Along with a $900 fine

Turns out my payment was rejected because something to do with my name being spelled wrong on my ticket (it was spelled RETANA instead of RETAMA)"

Of course I wasn't there and am just going by what was posted.

13. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    TheSmash133

TheSmash133 Cruise

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5
    X-D Series Black Rims 12 in sub Amp Super 44 Flowmaster Dual exhaust K&N airfilter Tint Tanneua Snug top Side Steps Blacked out Emblems and lower valence Bright white interior lights Blue dome light Retrofitted Mini H1's and morimoto X-B Halo.....
    :spy:cops caught you riding dirty lol

14. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Haha Im not THAT dumb.. Although times were tough to the point where I had a hard time coming up with $187, I sold one of my favorite guitars to make it happen.. Just sayin Im not one to not pay a ticket

15. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    spartanhockey6

spartanhockey6 My truck rattles, A LOT.

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    Dude that blows man, sorry to hear about that, goodluck with everything.

16. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    NewSchool19

NewSchool19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    S. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD Off-Road
    ---Exterior--- KB Voodoo Hi-Rise Bed Rack Tailgate Letter Inserts (PT9483518102) TRD Black Chrome Exhaust Tip (PT9323518002) Toyota Emblem Overlays (PT9483518002) Tacoma Bed Mat (PT58035050SB) Leer HF350M Tonneau Cover TRD Pro Front Skid Plate (PTR6035190) Meso Customs Total Tail Stage 1 Meso Customs Ultimate Turn Signals AVS Low Profile Vent Shades - Matte Black Toyota Remove Tailgate Lock (PK3B635JS0) ---Interior--- Salex Glove Box Organizer Salex Center Console Organizer N2 Remote Starter TRD Shift Knob (PTR5735170) Meso Customs Minimalist Key Fob Meso Customs Chrome Delete Kit - Cement Meso Customs Vent Ring Kit - Cement Meso Customs Coin Tray
    I don't understand how the ticket can still stand with the wrong name on it?! I got one thrown out because the cop wrote the wrong truck model on it (he wrote that I was driving a ford F150 when I was driving a ranger. When I pointed out that I didn't own an F150 they said they couldn't charge me for it. You'd think a name would be a little more important than the make/model of the car. But then again Ohio's no California.

-NewSchool19

17. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    I cannot believe they did this. I would fight it in court

18. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Thats the truth! My lawyer friend says the fact that my truck is registered in my name would be enough to throw all of that mispelled name business out the window. The worst part is that no one seems to give a flying fuck.. I have literally gotten shrugs and a "I dont know what to tell you" at the courthouse and police station...

19. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Let the lawyer do the talking. It will be money much better spent than throwing it away on something that was not your mistake.....and it won't be on your driving record to be charged extra for insurance for the next 39 months either.

20. Nov 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    GRENUG

GRENUG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JUSTIN
    Wildomar, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4
    Wait a min..What about fighting the actual ticket in court? Just my opinion but from what I gather there is three parts to the "hands free law" 1: California Vehicle Code [VC] §23123 states that motorists over 18 may use a hands free device, 2: California Vehicle Code VC §23123.5 states that no one is permitted to text while driving, and 3: California Vehicle Code VC §23124 states that if your under 18 you cannot use a hands free device, no where does it say your not allowed to touch/change/play with the radio, and if you were using a iTouch (which has no calling/texting capabilities) then you were doing just that, touching the radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top