Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

front spacers?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal909 View Post
ya i know if i really wanted function i wouldnt go 5100 anyway its just more money more work and stiffer ride for what? its not worth it to me do you have any pictures
Obviously you've made up your mind on going with spacers. If you want a comfortable ride then you should have bought a Cadillac and not a truck. The Bilsteins are better for your truck. The guys around here are giving you good advice on going with the adjustable Bilsteins that won't wear out the other components of your suspension. Over time the spacers will ruin your upper ball joints whether you off road or not. The Bilstein adjustables aren't that much more expensive. $170 a pair and you can use your stock coils. I suggest you read through the suspension threads to learn more about spacers and Bilsteins. If you say that spacers are more comfortable on your suspension (I disagree) than the adjustable Bilsteins then buy the spacers, however, I am not willing to sacrifice wearing out my upper ball joints. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

Read this thread.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110876
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
SoCal909 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
SoCal909's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
Before

After

Still saving for wheels & tires.
Wat did u do to the back
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Spacer's

I'm confused... I am looking for a lift for my '13 DC/LB. whoever says "if you can afford a new truck you can afford a good lift" is out of their mind. Don't assume you know other people's financial situations... Anyway... I'm having trouble understanding how lifting a truck with a top spacer or with 5100's changes how it affects your other components. Isnt 3" the same as 3"?? i can def see there being a difference in ride quality and performance off road, but if its a daily driver what's the difference really? I had 4" lift on an old dodge, 4" blocks and in spring spacers. Rode like shit but no problems with alignment or wear. If I had the money I would love to do a full system because everyone says the ride is amazing on and off road. But for now I would just like to get it a little higher to fit some larger tires as cheap as possible. I also went to my local dealer who has a lifted Tacoma (spacers and blocks) on the lot and was installing a lift on a Tundra as we spoke and they warranty everything. So it doesn't seem that bad of an idea to go with the spacers....
Attached Thumbnails
front spacers?-image.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
2" blocks that came in the kit. I know people don't like blocks but I had 5" blocks on my ram for the 7 yrs I owned it & never had any problems.
Looks sick btw!
Attached Thumbnails
front spacers?-image.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Is that because the shock is a different length and doesn't allow it to compress the extra 3"? I'm sold on the billies. For the price difference there really is no question for me. What about UCA's? Would they be needed for the 2.5" lift? Ive read some warranty tLk on here too and I still don't know what the deal is. Guess it depends on the dealer. Ill have to stop and ask about having the billies put on and see if they would cover it. I would love to have receipts from the dealer if anything ever did go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
front spacers?-image.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Is that because the shock is a different length and doesn't allow it to compress the extra 3"? I'm sold on the billies. For the price difference there really is no question for me. What about UCA's? Would they be needed for the 2.5" lift? Ive read some warranty tLk on here too and I still don't know what the deal is. Guess it depends on the dealer. Ill have to stop and ask about having the billies put on and see if they would cover it. I would love to have receipts from the dealer if anything ever did go wrong.
They break because with any added top plate spacer lift, at full compression, your bump stop is still x-amount of inches/cm from hitting, meaning the first thing to break is the stem of the shock where it connects to the LCA.

I have my billies at 2.5" with stock UCA's and the angles are fine, so is alignment. I will be installing my All-Pro uniball UCA's soon, though, in preparation for the Icon coilovers I'm replacing the billies with.

The only way a dealership's service dept. can deny you warranty service is if they can prove to you, on paper (not just telling you, but showing you) that the modification you made to the truck is the cause of whatever problem you're truck is in their shop for. Bilstein 5100's are a direct replacement shock for the Tacoma, so I seriously doubt it will ever cause you a warranty problem.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Sweet! Appreciate the advice. Hopefully February I can get my build started!! Wedding in May though so....
Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
scottobot is on a distinguished road
Name: scott
scottobot's Tacoma Gallery
That green color is so bad ass- please get matte bronze wheels!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
Also, I have the 2.5 in the front. I don't think it is over the plate. I bought the truck that way, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but off road on high speed bumps it feels a little harsh. It could just be the stiff TRD Off Road suspension though. On road, it rides like a dream. If you aren't off roading and drive fairly conservatively, spacers are just fine. From what I have noticed, most of the people on this site are off roaders and are pretty "elite" as far as their mods go. I am pretty insane about my mountain bike mods, so I get it, but for the everyday driver, you don't need the top of the line gear.

The only thing I would say, is that if you get a spacer kit up front, you should look into a 1 or 2 inch block in the back. Mine has a very slight backwards lean, which isn't noticeable until you load up the bed. It is really starting to bug me.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
Getting 5100's vs. stock bilsteins is night and day with ride comparison. 5100's are way better and more comfortable ride than stock suspension. So it just depends on you. if you just want the spacers for looks than go for it. But if you want ride quality and lift, go for the billies.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
Rylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rylee
Rylee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
how the fuck you gonna buy a brand new truck and install the cheapest lift possible?
you get what you pay for, someday someone may understand.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
5100s are only $200/pair??? I don't know they are that cheap! I might get a pair to replace my spacers to see the difference!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of toytec spacers and aal sitting in my gerage... You should buy them op...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #37
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery

Spacers for life!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
Rylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rylee
Rylee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post

Spacers for life!!!!
i guess ill never understand the logic behind spending the money for TC uca's but running a spacer lift rather than buying OME coils or some 2.5 coilover.
the "cali lean" seems pretty desirable.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #39
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
i guess ill never understand the logic behind spending the money for TC uca's but running a spacer lift rather than buying OME coils or some 2.5 coilover.
the "cali lean" seems pretty desirable.
My shit don't lean!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
you get what you pay for, someday someone may understand.
yea, no shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottobot View Post
5100s are only $200/pair??? I don't know they are that cheap! I might get a pair to replace my spacers to see the difference!
some pay $100 for just spacers when they can drop $200 for new billies or even $100 for slightly used billies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
I'm confused... I am looking for a lift for my '13 DC/LB. whoever says "if you can afford a new truck you can afford a good lift" is out of their mind. Don't assume you know other people's financial situations... Anyway... I'm having trouble understanding how lifting a truck with a top spacer or with 5100's changes how it affects your other components. Isnt 3" the same as 3"?? i can def see there being a difference in ride quality and performance off road, but if its a daily driver what's the difference really? I had 4" lift on an old dodge, 4" blocks and in spring spacers. Rode like shit but no problems with alignment or wear. If I had the money I would love to do a full system because everyone says the ride is amazing on and off road. But for now I would just like to get it a little higher to fit some larger tires as cheap as possible. I also went to my local dealer who has a lifted Tacoma (spacers and blocks) on the lot and was installing a lift on a Tundra as we spoke and they warranty everything. So it doesn't seem that bad of an idea to go with the spacers....

if you can drop $30k on a new truck and cant afford $200 shocks then your priorities are jacked. you shouldnt be spending money on modifications if youre having "financial situations." you gotta pay to play