Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Sunfair Dry Lake in Joshua Tree

Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Sunfair Dry Lake in Joshua Tree

Hey guys,
I am trying to get some guys around up here in the Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Landers, and 29 palms area together. As Southern CA offers plenty of open desert and rock trails out here. We could meet up in an empty lot or at my shop, which is not far from so decent stuff. There could always be a weekend made out of it, if people wanted to camp out at our dry lake in Joshua Tree. Bring quads, bikes, buggys, or whatever.

Sunfair Dry Lake, also known as Coyote Lake, is located two miles north of Highway 62 between the towns of Joshua Tree and Twentynine Palms in San Bernardino County, California. Sunfair Dry Lake has miles of trails, some easy and some quite challenging, surrounding its "shores." There are some nice areas for jumps near the Joshua Tree Campground, as well as some dunes in the eastern-central section of the lake.
Directions

Approximately three miles east of Joshua Tree on Hwy 62, turn left onto Sunfair Road. Sunfair Road will end at Joshua Tree Lake, a small fish pond and campground that offers a nice place to camp in the winter months. The dry lake bed may be accessed by turning right on any number of roads located AFTER Broadway. However, Broadway is the easiest way to get directly to the lake bed. Do not use the land to the right of Broadway as this is private land.
Respect this privilege please as this area is one of the few areas in the Morongo Basin where offroading is still legal.

First two pictures are not mine: These are of areas back in the trails of the dry lake and some dunes.

If you want any info or have questions about the area PM or email ntilehman@gmail.com

Hope to see some guys out here
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
There has got to be some interest in desert wheeling. There are some tough hills out there.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking out, man! I've always been curious if there's open offraoding out in that area. I was SO close to that place a couple weekends back; We went to Painted Canyon from Palm Dezert and were wanting to take the turn to Joshua tree but gas wasn't having it. Those look like some seriously fun hills. I'll have to do my part and check them out next time I'm up there.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Yes, that would be the south side. After you pass the houses its fair game. I'm out there all the time. I ride my banshee from the house there. It's pretty good riding and wheeling. Definitely areas you 4x4 for. Also, some fast whoop sections. Give a shout next time you come out. I'll show ya the good spots.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Went out riding over the weekend. Just now got some time to post a quick update. As asked earlier about the "south side" of broadway being private or not after the houses, there is a new fence put up. It blocks you from going behind the college very much. Its not a big deal at all for riding or wheeling. Wanted people to be aware if you go out at night or something where its harder to see the wire fence.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
looks great out there...

i might be interested depending on distance... Barstow/Lucerne Valley seem closer of a drive, but maybe after race season we could get some of the guys to check it out....
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Yea Lucerne would be closer for you. I live 5 min from it so that's why I go. This weekend was huge out there. Lots of people came out for the long weekend most people had. I was out on my Banshee today. Showed a buddy some new trails for him. We went a few places there is no way you will get a truck in. There are still lots of great places for trucks. I did see a few Tacoma's out there bombing some whoops.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Here was yesterday on the Banshee out there. Got some side bite in a dune ha. Stuck there without any help. Still waiting for the front end of the truck to get done before it gets thrashed out there.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Let's try and get some guys around in a few weeks to bring out some trucks and other off road vehicles for a good time. It's a good over night trip.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
Id be down to go, but i would need a liberty buddy to get off base.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunxbun View Post
Id be down to go, but i would need a liberty buddy to get off base.
Ha. The joys of finding a libo buddy. The Corps will always get ya. Bring up a girl and get some in the tent ha.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Let's try and get some guys around in a few weeks to bring out some trucks and other off road vehicles for a good time. It's a good over night trip.
Sorry brotha but unless you have a parking lot meet you're probably not going to get much if a response. The SD guys wheel but that's about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
once this libo policy is gone and i can get off base alone, ill go
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Kurupt is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
Name: Max
Kurupt's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread but I recently went out there and there are tons of trails with a good mix of different terrain. Would love to get a little meet going out there.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt View Post
I know this is an old thread but I recently went out there and there are tons of trails with a good mix of different terrain. Would love to get a little meet going out there.
Are you new to 29? I was out there last night burning some shit.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
Kurupt is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
Name: Max
Kurupt's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah pretty new still, Been out here for 2 and a half years. Probably going to head out there today with some buddies and their jeeps if we got off early enough.