Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Aqua Caliente - Mud Caves

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
Aqua Caliente - Mud Caves

Took my son for some camping at Aqua Caliente, and explored some of the mud-caves off Arroyo Taipaido, did the loop down Arroyo Del Diablo. Checked out the dropoff, but I'm pretty sure I won't make it without a diff-locker! Fun times...ran into some forum members!

It was freaking COLD!!!!!!!!!

Drop-off

Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike89 View Post
Yep we saw you. What way did u go to the drop off?
Mike, that road that went right further south...and then at the next fork right, up over a little hill....will plot it on google maps tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, take that little dirt road, and then it will meet with Diablo, have to turn back north east when you hit the Diablo trail, it's marked.
Attached Thumbnails
Aqua Caliente - Mud Caves-ajuqytag.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
If you take that exit from Arroyo Taipaido, over to Diablo, turn left as you hit the Diablo wash, then you end up here...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=N32.9...63177&t=h&z=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv6oAPv9JwQ
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
So, you guys took the Fish Creek wash back to Borrego area? How long did that take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike89 View Post
We went down it and made it out the other side to split mountain road.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
you can totally do the drop off open/open! I did it in my 92 piece of cake. Going downhill is a lot easier than up, as long as you stay in gear in low range off the brakes if you can so you stay in control and don't start sliding.
I'll probably hit that area up again this winter sometime. Fantastic place!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Wonderful to take your son to the desert! My daughter and I explored the mud caves and did the belly crawl passage... a bit scary, but that was me! LOL

About the Diablo Dropoff... I would say lockers or A-TRAC only needed if you have to pull JAMES in his stuck 2WD Tacoma out of a sand dune and up the dropoff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9m1u1pba4Ps
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Wonderful to take your son to the desert! My daughter and I explored the mud caves and did the belly crawl passage... a bit scary, but that was me! LOL

About the Diablo Dropoff... I would say lockers or A-TRAC only needed if you have to pull JAMES in his stuck 2WD Tacoma out of a sand dune and up the dropoff!
That video always impresses me, awesome job on that pull!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you! He wasn't the only 2WD Taco I pulled up a steep grade... but my lips are sealed on the ID of the other (in exchange for a cool Baja sticker)! LOL