Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

CB Radio Discussions

Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
OP check this place out...tons of good info even if you don't buy from them. http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

Also I would never buy any CB that didn't have the weather channels. If your in a region that has flash floods or storms it could prove to be invaluable.
Definitely checkout that website there awesome!!

Almost everybody that go to the OC meets has a cb. Defiantly get one, I vote for the Cobra 75 STWX......all you need in a cb packed right into the hand mic. As for the antenna go with a firestik II, it has a tunable tip on it that you will need to tune the cb to get a good broadcasting range.

I also got a SWR tuner if you wanna come to one of the OC meet we can tune it for you.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
be careful about running solo... even with a co-pilot, it only takes one mishap and without another rig to rescue you or go for help, you could end up on the evening news...

as for communications, if you are running solo a lot, i vote you invest in a CB and a HAM radio...

CB is great on 4x4 trail runs so long as you have other wheelers within a certain mile range from you, but with HAM, you can tap into any neighboring repeaters and your likelihood that a HAM operator is sitting at a base station monitoring those waves is greater than another wheeler on the other end of a CB...

it's overkill to run both and gets expensive, but that one time you are in need of real help with no cell phone access, the costs will be long forgotten...
Oh yeah I'm not a fan of solo running my copilot just sticks his head out while we're climbing to keep an eye on rocks for me.

9 out of 10 times all I'm doing is crawling dirt trails and maybe going up some big hills but we always scout ahead of time and decide if it's worth the risk and if we can make it up, always erring on the side of "Nah let's go back."

Although we almost got ourselves into some trouble yesterday mudding in Corona/Perris south of Lake Matthews, we ended up in this soft sandy crap and had ZERO traction to climb out of a huge hole/canyon that dirt bikes tear up. But here I am! I had one of those "Retrospect being 20/20 a truck up top with a long tow hook could just pull us up this slippery hill, what a stupid idea this was." but hey you can't go back in time, right?

The rest of the day was an absolute blast. I'm still shopping for a CB, I bought a 4' Firefly to bed mount with one of those bed rail mounts from ATO, I'm just stuck on the CB. So you guys recommended weather band so I'm looking out for those, then I saw the one I was looking at has a bunch of negative reviews about being difficult to read in the daylight. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or am I realistically gonna set it once and not touch it for most of the day... Also is a backlit display something I should consider important?

I really appreciate the advice so far and I will be coming to a TW OC meet for sure, I meant to go this week but ended up being ultra busy at work and just lost track of time. Thanks for the help guys you've been awesome so far.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys. im having problems with my microphone for my cb. im getting tired of buying the same pos ones from cobra that just go out on me. right now my switch is jacked up. anywho, i just need some suggestions on a reliable yet affordable cb microphone.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
hey guys. im having problems with my microphone for my cb. im getting tired of buying the same pos ones from cobra that just go out on me. right now my switch is jacked up. anywho, i just need some suggestions on a reliable yet affordable cb microphone.
Astatic makes a great mic. Prob find them for around 50-60 dollars

Stryker makes a good one too between 30-50 dollars
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
Astatic makes a great mic. Prob find them for around 50-60 dollars

Stryker makes a good one too between 30-50 dollars
Astatic and Stryker. got it lol. I saw a noise cancelling Astatic online for like $30. dont know much about it other than it will work and its got the abs plastic shell i think. sound like a safe bet?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Astatic and Stryker. got it lol. I saw a noise cancelling Astatic online for like $30. dont know much about it other than it will work and its got the abs plastic shell i think. sound like a safe bet?
Yup. If you just want it for basic 4x4 trips that will do fine.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #27

yeah i dont need anything serious. just something that isnt gonna crap out on me anytime soon
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
yeah i dont need anything serious. just something that isnt gonna crap out on me anytime soon
I got an Astatic that my father in law had in his 18 wheeler for 20 years. It was a higher end model, but still works fantastic
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #29

right on. ill check out that 636L. hoping the astatic name will make it less of a POS then the cheap cobra ones ive been buying.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #30

Quote:
right on. ill check out that 636L. hoping the astatic name will make it less of a POS then the cheap cobra ones ive been buying.
I would never buy cobra. Haahaahaahaa.

But then I again I get quality hand me downs from my father in law.

Most people are :jelly: when they see mine

Which is highly modified
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #31
Madmartigan 333 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Madmartigan 333's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know of a hand held cb with a PA option. i like the idea of less clutter in my cab. But the ability to hoot and holler at people is a must. I appreciate any help.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #32
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I use to have a CB, I miss it. When I was in high school everybody had one. We use to ride around town talking on them, and we use to play CB hide-&-seek. There was a parking lot that was (Base) and we had town boundaries we couldint drive outside of...The seeker would search trying to find us and clues/misinformation was given over the radio...If the seeker got their headlights on your vehicle you were out.

One other time a friend and I were told to leave a parking area for "loitering"..by a local PD.. he was being an dick, and when we left I said "what you think of that asshole?" (I was on channel 3 btw) and the cop pulled in front of me and got out saying "Asshole? I'll show you asshole! I aint playin your 3 year old games. I've been listening to you for the past hour" To which I replied "Sorry sir" and left...As soon as I hit the edge of town I transmitted back "what a corrupted fusking town!! out of line cops..small town retardedness..anyways Just thought i'd share. But yeah...CB's are fun.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Astatic and quality...LULZ...if you truly want quality audio, then invest in a Heil microphone and adapt it to your CB.