Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

CB Radio Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
CB Radio Discussions

So I'm lookin' for things to do to my truck... probably a bad idea but what else do we do with our time.

I've heard from a local shop who does noobie runs that a CB radio is a good addition to a truck. So far though all of my runs have been solo with my cousin in as copilot. The question is: is a CB radio and all the effort and money it would take getting it installed worth it? Do any of the guys who trail run out here think it's worth the money and time or is it something that would hardly be used with many of you guys.

tl;dr: CB radio worth it or not. Do you have one and do you think it was a pointless addition.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Most runs I go on, everybody BUT me has one. Everybody is always communicating, except me.

Now, I've got a cb radio, external speaker, wires and antenna. All I need is a mounting bracket for my antenna...so that's all that separates me from everybody else. Can't wait to hear from everybody on trails
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Well that's good to hear! Where do you guys do most of your ridin'?

Also any recommendations on radio and antenna? I'm eye ballin' a Uniden 510 or 520 and several antennas... is a 4' antenna mounted in the bed rails behind the cab tall enough?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
It's a cheap way to communicate on the trail.

I have one of the Cobra 75's. Radio is under the center console and the power connects to the cigarette lighter. Antenna mounted on the hood hinge-a true no-holes install.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
It's a cheap way to communicate on the trail.

I have one of the Cobra 75's. Radio is under the center console and the power connects to the cigarette lighter. Antenna mounted on the hood hinge-a true no-holes install.
I was just concerned about spending a bunch of time on selecting, ordering, and installing, a CB only to find myself never using it or regretting the investment of it you know?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you. For me, it was $100 or so and worth it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
The cheapest place to buy the Uniden 520 is Frys.com. $42. Most places are over $60.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I might have $130 tied up into mine. But I rarely use it. I use it more in the highway when traveling to stay updated on accidents and traffic patterns. But it's there if I decide to go wheeling.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
It's totally worth it. I have one from 88' cobra 19 with a PA. wired to the battery with a noise reducer. CB Cable runs under the carpet and I cut a hole in the rubber plug that is in the pocket behind the seat where the jack is. My mount is on the inside of my bed on the drivers side drilled holes and threaded them. My CB is wired to a switch so I can turn it on and off. Fits perfectly where the ash tray is even with the 5 speed. It's pretty simple. Make sure you buy a steel whip not a fiber glass whip and there is NO need for dual antennas but functionally it can actually be worse than better. If you have any questions message me.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
It's totally worth it. I have one from 88' cobra 19 with a PA. wired to the battery with a noise reducer. CB Cable runs under the carpet and I cut a hole in the rubber plug that is in the pocket behind the seat where the jack is. My mount is on the inside of my bed on the drivers side drilled holes and threaded them. My CB is wired to a switch so I can turn it on and off. Fits perfectly where the ash tray is even with the 5 speed. It's pretty simple. Make sure you buy a steel whip not a fiber glass whip and there is NO need for dual antennas but functionally it can actually be worse than better. If you have any questions message me.
So you don't recommend like the Firestik Firefly or Wilson Flex antennas?

I just ordered my bracket to mount to the bed rail from Armor Tech Offroad, now to decide specifically which radio to get... Ha.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
OP check this place out...tons of good info even if you don't buy from them. http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

Also I would never buy any CB that didn't have the weather channels. If your in a region that has flash floods or storms it could prove to be invaluable.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
OP check this place out...tons of good info even if you don't buy from them. http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

Also I would never buy any CB that didn't have the weather channels. If your in a region that has flash floods or storms it could prove to be invaluable.
Dang that was one thing that had me torn a lot of the more budgety radios don't have it and I was trying to decide if it was worth the extra.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

Sound advice unless you use a GPS that already has Weather alerts in it or a Licensed Amateur( ham).
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
SoCal Taco Noob is on a distinguished road

Name: John
SoCal Taco Noob's Tacoma Gallery
Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio and a lil Wil magent antenna is what I have. I like it because it plugs into the cigarette lighter and it comes with an adapter to turn it into a hand held CB if needed. It's a all in one unit that can be put away when your not wheel'n. The CB runs about $75 and the Lil Wil runs about $25.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
SoCal Taco Noob is on a distinguished road

Name: John
SoCal Taco Noob's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture of the CB
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaLbraVo View Post
So I'm lookin' for things to do to my truck... probably a bad idea but what else do we do with our time.

I've heard from a local shop who does noobie runs that a CB radio is a good addition to a truck. So far though all of my runs have been solo with my cousin in as copilot. The question is: is a CB radio and all the effort and money it would take getting it installed worth it? Do any of the guys who trail run out here think it's worth the money and time or is it something that would hardly be used with many of you guys.

tl;dr: CB radio worth it or not. Do you have one and do you think it was a pointless addition.
be careful about running solo... even with a co-pilot, it only takes one mishap and without another rig to rescue you or go for help, you could end up on the evening news...

as for communications, if you are running solo a lot, i vote you invest in a CB and a HAM radio...

CB is great on 4x4 trail runs so long as you have other wheelers within a certain mile range from you, but with HAM, you can tap into any neighboring repeaters and your likelihood that a HAM operator is sitting at a base station monitoring those waves is greater than another wheeler on the other end of a CB...

it's overkill to run both and gets expensive, but that one time you are in need of real help with no cell phone access, the costs will be long forgotten...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
A radio that does it all is the ultimate, but like mike said, expensive.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
be careful about running solo... even with a co-pilot, it only takes one mishap and without another rig to rescue you or go for help, you could end up on the evening news...

as for communications, if you are running solo a lot, i vote you invest in a CB and a HAM radio...

CB is great on 4x4 trail runs so long as you have other wheelers within a certain mile range from you, but with HAM, you can tap into any neighboring repeaters and your likelihood that a HAM operator is sitting at a base station monitoring those waves is greater than another wheeler on the other end of a CB...

it's overkill to run both and gets expensive, but that one time you are in need of real help with no cell phone access, the costs will be long forgotten...
Great post. Definitely agree which is why I have both. My CB only reaches about 2 miles line of sight, which is rarely the case when I'm wheeling up in the mountains. Having the ham puts me at ease knowing I can call for help on repeaters that wrap around the globe. You jut never know when you might need it.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbocop View Post
Most runs I go on, everybody BUT me has one. Everybody is always communicating, except me.

Now, I've got a cb radio, external speaker, wires and antenna. All I need is a mounting bracket for my antenna...so that's all that separates me from everybody else. Can't wait to hear from everybody on trails,except no one talks to me

Srry man, had to do it !!...

My CB transmits but no recieve, thats all i got to contribute.....

Always good to have some form of communicating whether its a CB or Race radio,etc;