Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Don't buy Volant Cold Air Intake!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I would call that poor detective work
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it sounds awesome and adds hp and I could feel the difference between when my pops put it on. The thing kicks ass, I'm just bummed I cant keep it on

I'm probably going to get a stock one off of somebody to toss on when I want to pass emissions, because Volant makes a hell of a product.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #23
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anybody know if a deckplate mod'd stock airbox will pass? How about if it doesn't have the hole plugged with that piece? Basically just a stock air box with a giant hole in it...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure exactly how smog regulations are, but I feel as though you could easily fail the visual inspection portion of the smog check if you do the deckplate mod. But hell, if you have a black airbox and black plate and leave it in during inspection you might be alright.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Not sure exactly how smog regulations are, but I feel as though you could easily fail the visual inspection portion of the smog check if you do the deckplate mod. But hell, if you have a black airbox and black plate and leave it in during inspection you might be alright.
That's why I bought the black one! but I am curious about the deckplate passability. I know popping the plate in will return the stock airflow but it doesn't correct the fuel to air ratio that has become accustomed to the additional airflow. I'm thinking you'd have to run it closed for a few days before you smog it
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
professional trousersnake charmer
RJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
RJ MacReady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbocop View Post
Anybody know if a deckplate mod'd stock airbox will pass? How about if it doesn't have the hole plugged with that piece? Basically just a stock air box with a giant hole in it...
have a deckplate mod'd stocker n passed both.
really feel like its just the shop's discression.
Hope one way or another that you don't run into any other problems OP.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Toyota Addict

Thanks for all of your input everybody. I ended up finding somebody on here who was willing to part with their completely stock intake for a good price. I will throw that bad boy on, and not have to stress. Didn't want to waste my time and another of my buddies to swap for the deckplate hole'd intake (he doesn't have a cap yet) if it wasn't for sure going to pass. Now I'm positive I'll pass..and hell, if he doesn't he can borrow my new one haha.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe change the title of this thread, but curious how do you like the volant? I just installed one myself but only have 2 days of driving so far, I haven't decided if I like it or not and whether or not I'll keep it.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
Toyota Addict

I'm installing a stock intake this sunday, so I'll be able to give you a direct heads up on difference.

My Volant filter is packed with mud/dirt, so I've got to clean it out while it's off. Which I'm sure hasn't been working as well as it could due to this. But after I get my smog check passed, I'll give a more up to date direct comparison after I re-install my Volant.

Edit: Don't know how to change the title of the thread, but would change it to: Volant CAI Doesn't Pass SMOG Check in CA
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
Bridgerb123 is on a distinguished road
Bridgerb123's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 05 tacoma and would like to put one on my truck but I heard that once you put it on the MAF sensor doesn't work correctly and people say (from what I read) you have to buy the URD MAF calibrator ( which is another $300!!!). Is this true for those with the volant intake? How about the trd intake or any other for that matter. I just the the volant due to the additional scoop you can get.

Also I would like one that isn't extremely loud just driving around but of course any of them will be loud when you punch it! S far sound like the volant wins that battle but just let me know of your experience with these intakes! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
liguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedliguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
liguy's Tacoma Gallery
airbox holes misaligned with air pump

received my 2013 Tacoma... had previously ordered the Volant CAI while waiting for truck delivery.
now that both arrived, I found that the Volant mounting holes for the EOM air pump are misaligned... the rubber mounting plugs pop out of the airbox because they can't handle the sideways strain of the misalignment.
called Volant... got, let's say, less than a luke-warm interest in my problem... waiting now with the OEM intake removed and the truck down... Volant says I might get a replace in a week or so.
stand by for follow-up... personally, I wouldn't recommend at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't buy Volant Cold Air Intake!-volant-misalignment.jpg