Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Don't buy Volant Cold Air Intake!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy Volant Cold Air Intake!

If you plan on registering your truck in CA. It won't pass inspection.

As the title states, my pops threw a Volant on when it was his truck. I've registered it in UT without any problems, but just moved to So-Cal.

The intake doesn't have the C.A.R.B approved sticker, and won't be able to get one, or an E.O. sticker. Called Volant, and they said the Toyotas will never be SMOG legal. Weak.

Anybody have a stock intake laying around I can throw on my truck for inspection, then I'll return it?? Literally need it for an hour. There's beer or a bite to eat in it for you...or both, why the hell not.

Also, a downfall of the Volant system. The box is so large, and takes up so much space, you can't change headlight bulbs without taking the box out.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
So you're saying that no one should buy a Volant because it won't pass inspection in YOUR state? I would call that poor detective work on your part not doing the necessary homework before throwing a mod on. Plenty of people run this kind of stuff and take it off come testing time... Lesson learned and good luck finding your replacement for testing purposes.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Alby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud of
Name: Alby
Alby9999's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same CAI and I passed in NJ with no problems.
BTW, I have the stock I will lend you but I don't think you want to pay shipping back and forth.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

@memario

I posted it in the Southern California thread area... This is meant to warn fellow Californians, to keep their stock intake handy come inspection time..

Also, it was on when I bought the truck. Stock airbox is long gone, and I had no plans to move to CA. So if you're posting to be an ass, great job.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's at least a small piece of useful information. yeah OP moving here can be a pain in the ass on all levels but you gots to check stuff like that! California is really anal about the air quality even though it's still the worst in the nation. where you at in California?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Toyota Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby9999 View Post
I have the same CAI and I passed in NJ with no problems.
BTW, I have the stock I will lend you but I don't think you want to pay shipping back and forth.
Haha, thanks anyway! Mine passed in CO,and UT as well. But CA has very strict emissions laws. It's clean, and I love it, but sucky it wont pass
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Toyota Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
I think it's at least a small piece of useful information. yeah OP moving here can be a pain in the ass on all levels but you gots to check stuff like that! California is really anal about the air quality even though it's still the worst in the nation. where you at in California?
Yeah, I hear that! Utah needs to get on their shit. They are now the worst air in the nation.

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/07/red-a...r8w9mx6ZBFx0IM

yeah, yeah, I know fox news sucks, but it does show an obvious problem haha.

I don't mind that they are very strict here, it's really helping all of us in the long run.

BTW, I'm in Downtown Long Beach!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbocop View Post
@memario

I posted it in the Southern California thread area... This is meant to warn fellow Californians, to keep their stock intake handy come inspection time..

Also, it was on when I bought the truck. Stock airbox is long gone, and I had no plans to move to CA. So if you're posting to be an ass, great job.
^^^ Just getting on your level from the OP

I was just pointing out that it sounds like you are blaming Volant for your dilemma. California is strict on everything and yeah it sucks. Keeping stock parts is always good for covering your ass later.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Does this mean there'll be a gently used volant on the market soon?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Does this mean there'll be a gently used volant on the market soon?
OP just wants to borrow stock box for inspection. I don't think he's selling...or is he?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Toyota Addict

Quote:
OP just wants to borrow stock box for inspection. I don't think he's selling...or is he?
Haha, not selling. You've got it, I just want to borrow somebody's for inspection, and pay them for their time in food and beer
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Doesn't appear to be looking to sell. He is disappointed that he has to go find something just to pass inspection. I honestly do think that there should be some consideration for where the vehicle was originally licensed (or licensed by the current owner) and the new state shouldn't be able to place additional smog rules on the vehicle.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Toyota Addict

Agreed, its just strange that the intakes are made in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, and they don't pass their own state's regulations.. My intake and truck were both made in CA, and I cant register it here
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Vivid Illumination

I wonder if both people who have said that they will let you borrow their stock intake realize that you're a first gen... Hmm
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I wonder if both people who have said that they will let you borrow their stock intake realize that you're a first gen... Hmm
make it work. the second gens are carb approved
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Ha, nope I didn't notice that. Oh well, just trying to help.
Haha good on you for trying anyway... I think those of us with 2nd gens are all very apt to overlook that.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Toyota Addict

Thanks for the offers for help guys, instead of taking a dump in my thread.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Fatguy64 is on a distinguished road
Fatguy64's Tacoma Gallery
Outside the Ca Emiss BS are y'all happy with the volant? Add MPG/HP? Outside of Airaid....it was the only one that appears to fit a 2012 4WD 4.0L.