1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NOOBS!! 2 Lost Hikers in Holy Jim

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by The Traveler, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    bwood084

bwood084 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Blacked out badges
  2. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Good job OP and other volunteers! Looks like we've got some news ^^

3. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    "Verbal contact made with the patient".

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    wow, props to all the guys who went out looking, if I lived in the area, I would have helped too.

5. Apr 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Male hiker just landed on Mission hospital helo pad. Search continues for the female.

6. Apr 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    bwood084

bwood084 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Blacked out badges
    something is fishy! Nick is saying he thought kyndall was rescued yesterday.....

7. Apr 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I was there! I was able to help (a little) with Nicks rescue. Ill update you guys with details when i get home

8. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Doesn't it seem odd that they only found one of them?...

9. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    I was thinking the same thing

10. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    glad the found nick! hope they can find kyndall. and also yeah something does not sound right about this whole thing.

also props to all the TW member thats are doing everything they are to help find them! i’d be out helping if i was close.

11. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    Redfox1

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    x2... There is no reason they would split up...

12. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
  13. Apr 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    So I was one of the ones "in verbal contact" with nick tonight. First of all, no idea where Kyndall is, but finding Nick was a MAJOR score for forums and volunteer SAR peeps. I'll try to make what I saw brief:

I went up the trail and stopped when I thought I heard yelling. I got out of the truck and after a few minutes of listening was able to hear yelling on both sides of the road with big hills on both sides. Another volunteer in a Durango was there and we agreed to grab our lights and gear and go check it out. We crossed the stream on the side of the road and hiked up the hill to what looked like stone wall terracing and found a guy and a girl yelling. It turned out they were other volunteers from a hiking forum. They were the ones who first heard Nick so MAJOR props to them. They had only been there like 10 minutes when they heard him. From there we were able to clearly hear the male yelling from the opposite hill. Because of the helicopters and geography, you really couldn't hear what turned out to be Nick from the road. Ted, the guy on the hill had to convince the fire department guys that a Male claiming to be Nick could be clearly heard and had the name and age right for one of the missing hikers. They seemed pretty doubtful and implied it was a prank either being pulled by Ted or TO Ted from someone claiming to be Nick.. (shrug..)

They asked that we stay there and direct the pro SAR guys towards where it sounded like he was with our flashlights. I had the biggest flashlight and pointed it where it sounded like he was and he said "that light is pointed right at me!"

He said he was thirsty and he was seemed confused.. he didn't know what the helicopters were doing, and sounded like he said he didn't know where Kyndall was and thought he was alone. (this is scary..)

A little while later some deputy sheriffs hiked up to where we were and had a laser they used to mark the spot we had been pointing the flashlight at with a big bright red dot. About 45 minutes later the real SAR guys finally got to that spot (It was a tough climb up a really steep cliff) and about that time a super loud fire department chopper came in and went right to the spot and hovered for a few minutes about 20 feet over where Nick was. They had two really bright spotlights on that area and it was just trees and thick brush/rocks about a third of the way down from the ridgeline.

There is an orange tape where the sar guys climbed up, but if anyone wants to check out the area it was at N °33 40.408’ W 117° 31.607.

Driving into the canyon, the creek was to the left and Nick was up that steep-ass hill to the right. DO NOT CLIMB up there unless you are a seriously fit hiker/mountain climber with all the right ropes, harnesses and gear and partners/experience. I watched trained guys go up there and it was really rough for them. One guy would yell "ROCK!" and everyone below would have to take cover and we watched mini-rockslides going down the hill behind them. Seriously.. either take that ridgeline up and stay safe or don't go.

Hopefully they find Kyndall.. Nick was in pretty bad shape from the way he sounded.

gps.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  14. Apr 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Oh and the reason I say major win for forums is because on my way in I was listening to KFI on the radio and Bill Carroll was being a tool mocking the volunteers and joking about dumb people with jogging shorts and only a water bottle were searching and really only causing problems. WRONG! The official search was called off for the night more than an hour before initial contact was made with Nick. If it weren't for the volunteers, I doubt this guy would have been found tonight, and maybe not at all. I'm going to call in to the show tomorrow and let them know how stupid their persnickety comments against the ragtag group of searchers pissed me off.

15. Apr 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Good for you brotha. I'm sure your adrenaline is still pumping. Goob job out there.

16. Apr 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    It was exciting!

I don't even mind that my truck needs another wash. lol.. I got to see some real heroes and pros doing their thing and got the excitement of watching the rescue. It was cool to watch and be a tiny part of. The media was blocked off down the trail and we were asked not to give any info until Nicks identity was confirmed, but I saw what were clearly one of these kids family members driving in while I drove out. They weren't in offroad vehicles, but came in anyway with a real sense of urgency. The hill was way too steep for them to bring him down, so unfortunately they drove in for nothing since he was flown out. Sucks for the family to drive in for nothing, but I just hope now this ends up with both of them being found alive.

17. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean? I myself wondered how three days went by without seeing them on FLIR at night with all those helicopters, but after seeing the location, there was too much overhead brush. I can understand now why the IR signature would have been pretty much undetectable by air since he wasn't on the top of the ridgeline and was surrounded by bushes and trees... assuming he's been there a while.

18. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I personally have a problem with those comments, I volunteered SAR last year looking for a kidnapped murder victim. I opted for hard terrain searches, THOUSANDS of people have volunteered for the searches in the year since this girl disappeared, to do what the volunteers have done, the local pro SARs and all of the available department manpower would have taken years to do. There is no way the hills and wooded canyons could be effectively searched without volunteers helping out. Somebody should tell this Bill Carrol asshole to shut the fuck up. Thank you Traveler and the other members for stepping up, if I ever found myself in need like this I would hope that members of my community would step up and help the pros try to find me.

Do good things people, if you see a search going on in the news, make time to go help. All it takes is reasonable health, the ability to follow directions by a team leader and a thorough observation of everything you see. I could be your ass in the sling someday praying that people will come to look for you.

19. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    Redfox1

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    I wish I had time to do SAR stuff. It would be pretty cool to volunteer if they ever needed the manpower

20. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know if I would describe it as cool, but giving of your time is a good selfless thing to do. In my case it was pretty sad, we all took our jobs very seriously and most of us were parents ourselves out looking for someone's dead daughter.

Products Discussed in

To Top