Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

No more Mall Crawling...but :(

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
icallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really nice
Name: Jamie
icallhertaco11's Tacoma Gallery
No more Mall Crawling...but :(

Hey guys so this is the story of my first offroading experience. I am 17 years old and have ever gone offroading, this past Saturday was my very first time so I did some research and found an easy trail. The Pilot Rock Truck Trail.

The day started early in the morning, I thought getting up really early and getting there would beat the other people.

The drive up was nice, light traffic and saw a few tacomas but none on here or modded from what I saw.

Roadkill.

So I made it up there, and began the trail. It was quite easy and there was no trucks or anyone else on the trail until later.

Nice view of a lake.

Love the views.

So as I am coming near the end of a trail I find these two little offroad buggy looking things (no pics) stopped on the trail. The buggy is completely f****ed so I just gotta squeeze my way past, there's enough room to fit and just a bush sits to my right. So the guys buddy moves out the way and I roll through. I rolled up my windows because the buggy was sorta smokey and I didn't want that in the cab. SO as I roll through I hear this odd sound but I just kept going and got through. I then roll down the rest of the trail passing some happy dirt bikers and a truck when it widens up. So after I decide to get out to check out the dirt and what not, and as I approach the right side of the truck I find at least 10-20 scratches all along the right side of the truck. They went from the front fender to the end of the bed.
I concluded that it was a thorn bush that did it. I went through the whole entire trail and the buggy's had to be right there where that one thornbush would get me.

You can see some but I didn't feel like sitting there looking at the horrible accident that was.
So I went home and my dad and I took the truck to a paint shop and we are getting the right side completely repainted for around 600 dollars. We decided the dealer would charge too much considering we have to get a new bedside decal from the dealer for 70 dollars. The truck will be done on Tuesday.

But...despite that crap, for my first time trailing it was a lot of fun and I will definitely go back again, same trail maybe sometime but I plan on trying some other trails.

To end the day saw a sick Ranger.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Your paying $670 to repaint that one fender that's insane. I guess I applaud you for at least getting a legit paint job, but I'm sure 75% of those scratches can be buffed out, and those that can't just add character. It's trail damage, it happens. Pinstripes like those are nothing compared to most I've seen. If it happened once it'll happen again. IMHO, no point in doing the paint unless you plan on never offroading again.

Or another option is upgrade to glass
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
tacosteven is on a distinguished road

Name: steven
tacosteven's Tacoma Gallery
If you are planning to go off roading again, I wouldn't have gotten it painted... Once it gets painted, you aren't going to want to pay $600 again to get it repainted... Also you have an awesome dad, mine would have said, suck it up, you scratched it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Needs money for mods
HombreSteven is on a distinguished road

HombreSteven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosteven View Post
If you are planning to go off roading again, I wouldn't have gotten it painted... Once it gets painted, you aren't going to want to pay $600 again to get it repainted... Also you have an awesome dad, mine would have said, suck it up, you scratched it.
Same. Word for word
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
QFT. has a badass looking tacoma, when i was 17 i had a rust bucket 1994 mercury cougar with a jillion miles on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Trail damage and pin stripes are a right of passage on my book

Nice looking truck fwiw.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
the first time is the worst. i have a 2013 with pinstripes all ready. once i striped it the first time, i could actually enjoy the truck instead of having anxiety attacks trying not to pin stripe it.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
icallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really nice
Not sure how well I specified that but i'm getting the entire right side of the truck repainted. I just had that pic of the rear fender. It looks worse in person, and I'd rather it have been scratched doing something cooler ahaa.
I really had no say my dad didn't even want to look at it he just said you're getting it repainted ahaa.
Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Thats cool that you can get it re-painted.
My dad would've said "Sucks to be you."
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
you're 17, and you have a truck like that? wow, you're lucky man! cool pics!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Thats cool that you can get it re-painted.
My dad would've said "Sucks to be you."
Taha what can I say in all honesty i'm a spoiled brat.

I enjoy the feedback though, any opinion is good in my book.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
you're 17, and you have a truck like that? wow, you're lucky man! cool pics!
Thanks man, and it's good looking but performance it's not anything great as you might imagine with a Pro Comp kit aha
Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Youre goin to reoaint the truck? Dude save that money and a good clay bar with a good buffer and compound will clear pretty much all those stripes out lol
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Youre goin to reoaint the truck? Dude save that money and a good clay bar with a good buffer and compound will clear pretty much all those stripes out lol
Well when my dad is paying I don't usually turn that down ahaha But I mean those scratches were really deep.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Don't get it repainted, just get the scratches buffed out. Anywhere that does good paint repair can do it no problem. My buddy works at carmax and fixed this without any repainting .......
Dammit ahaha It's already in the shop. I knew I should've posted on Tacomaworld before taking it in, there's always some awesome alternatives from you guys ahaha.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallhertaco11 View Post
Dammit ahaha It's already in the shop. I knew I should've posted on Tacomaworld before taking it in, there's always some awesome alternatives from you guys ahaha.
Well at least u will have a new paint job! Lol but my buddy was telling me that they do something with the compound where they mix paint in with it and as they buff it, it fills the scratches in with the filler and the paint, then just wet sand it, buff it and wax it and it looks like it was never even there. Good stuff! Haha
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
ntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ntydog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Taha what can I say in all honesty i'm a spoiled brat.

I enjoy the feedback though, any opinion is good in my book.
At least you can admit it. Honestly if ur getting the truck repainted after some pin stripes I would get out of the game now cause it only gets worse
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
Lpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLpheat22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
Lpheat22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I went home and my dad and I took the truck to a paint shop and we are getting the right side completely repainted for around 600 dollars. We decided the dealer would charge too much considering we have to get a new bedside decal from the dealer for 70 dollars. The truck will be done on Tuesday.

But...despite that crap, for my first time trailing it was a lot of fun and I will definitely go back again, same trail maybe sometime but I plan on trying some other trails.

You gonna repaint the truck every time you scratch it?

Stay in school.