1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is tacoma a good family vehicle?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Charlie213, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Jul 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    hurley842002

hurley842002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Thornton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD
    Bone stock (for now)
    For what it's worth we just had our first baby, so I opted to get rid of my "squirrly" Jeep Cherokee for an 02 double cab. I'm completely confident it will be fine with another car seat when the time comes. I plan to get either a canvas topper or a hard topper that will likely only be used for longer trips, much more usable cargo space than any SUV or mini van, and perfect for dogs.

2. Jul 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    He said it was the base model for a 4x4 DCLB which doesn't included trd sport package. I live in Pasadena, California. He said 32,500 not including the 1k downpayment.

Options included:
    V6 Tow Package 21 for Off-Road Package includes Class-IV towing receiver hitch, transmission and supplemental oil coolers, 130-amp alternator, heavy duty battery, 7-pin connector with converter, Trailer-Sway Control (TSC) 22 [TO]
    SR5 Extra Value Package (Savings of up to $430): Power outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable intermittent windshield wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper, sliding rear window with privacy glass, bucket seats with driver lumbar support, SR5 fabric trim, metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls and shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, tailgate-handle integrated backup camera 6 linked to an auto-dimming mirror with monitor and outside temperature gauge, SR5 badge. [SL]

3. Jul 15, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    mercurymullet

mercurymullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    bronco frame under a mountaineer
    Apples and oranges. Your wife wants a car, you want a truck. Both excellant family choices. If you never leave the dry pavement or haul anything I would say the van for price, mpg and comfort/ease. If you are going to anything other than haul the kids to soccer practice and take road trips I would get the truck. I'd rather have a 4dr truck with a cap on a 4ft bed than an suv. PS I have two exploders, I speak from experience. Good luck with the wife.

4. Jul 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Tang98

Tang98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0 TRD Sport
    tube steps, bed mat
    Really? I see 4x4 base with sr5 and towing package at Longo going for $31, 590... or does the 32,500 your talking about include tax, licence, ect.
    http://www.longotoyota.com/commerci...a-Tacoma-1361dfc70a0a00e001db4b88f9e1150f.htm

5. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
  6. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I have a 1st gen tacoma and its perfect for our family and for me. everything I do to it I gotta keep my 3 girls in mind, but I dont mind. I dont like driving in the wifes CRV so we take my truck everywhere when were all together. I have a 7 year old and 1.5 year old and the car seat is not an issue. The rear facing seats take up more space but I think your 1 year old is getting close to having a front facing car seat? Either way the car seats are not an issue. I'd imagine you probably getting a bigger 2nd gen that you would have a little more space.

As for the dogs, JRT are small enough to sit in the middle set or on the floor. You could get a Topper and throw them in the bed, open the sliding glass window and have them go back and forth from bed to cabin.

7. Jul 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    mercurymullet

mercurymullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    bronco frame under a mountaineer
    I looked up the difference between a 2nd access cab and a 1st gen crew cab because I want a Xrunner something fierce but have two kids. The 2nd gen access cab is 4in (2 front 2 rear) difference in leg room from the first gen crew cab. FYI

8. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    If you are in SoCal you HAVE to go to Longo. Call and ask for Internet sales and tell them you want a quote emailed to you for whatever truck you see on their website you want and tell then you want it for $100 over invoice. I did that, they did it with no fuss and I got the exact truck I wanted. Great experience and I THOUGHT i knew what a high volume store was before I went there. Awesome place.

Products Discussed in

To Top