Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Is tacoma a good family vehicle?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Charlie213 is on a distinguished road

Charlie213's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Is tacoma a good family vehicle?

My wife keeps questioning me if the 4x4 Tacoma I'm looking to buy will be good to carry around 2 car seats and the dogs? Are there places I can take the family to come along and have a good time that will require a taco cuz if not I will be forced to go with a van and I'm not looking forward to that. Kids are 3 & 1 I'm always carrying bunch of toys but she tells me a van can do the same a taco does?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
2 kids and dogS

no, it wont be, unless their poodles and sit on the floor or in the underseat storage
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Tell her;
you can't put coilovers under a minivan
4wd is better than front whl. drive (do not mention awd)
dogs tear up fancy minvan interiors they can go under the canopy.
Minivans high center easily if the snow piles up.
Duratracs don't come in 195/60 r14

also pick rough roads to camp at where minivans get stuck to round out the debate.

ps remember though, your marriage might require the minvan.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
Just get the tundra crew cab. Problem solve.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the Tacoma can be a good family vehicle 4x4 is good for getting places, get a canopy and and a long bed and the dogs can travel in the bed plus you can put your stuff back there and the seats in the back can fit kids so yeah it works out well for your needs
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

Question

Two jack Russell terriers but just thinking about having two car seats in the back is giving doubts.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Tang98 is on a distinguished road
Tang98's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the 4runner? has a big back seat for kids and dogs can go behind the back seat with the cargo.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie213 View Post
Two jack Russell terriers but just thinking about having two car seats in the back is giving doubts.
two car seats you might be able to pull off now, but in a few years when their out of car seats, it will make it alot tougher

look at a 4 runner, cooler then a van lol
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma by itself is a fine family vehicle. Tacoma mixed with tacomaworld is the worst idea ever for a family. You'll start weighing whether to have more children or not based on the amount of money you'll lose towards modifications.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #10

Sorry cant afford a tundra and I'm looking to save on mpg.

4Runner looks too nice to get trashed by the kids and dogs.

Problem I have is what places in southern California can I go with the family that will show having a taco was the best decision.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang98 View Post
Have you looked at the 4runner? has a big back seat for kids and dogs can go behind the back seat with the cargo.
I think you're right, that's likely the better choice, Tacoma ok for family, 4runner better.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
You'll start weighing whether to have more children or not based on the amount of money you'll lose towards modifications.
I'm only 19 and already think about this for the future.... Haha
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Don't get a truck then.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy the Tacoma already lol
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Tacoma by itself is a fine family vehicle. Tacoma mixed with tacomaworld is the worst idea ever for a family. You'll start weighing whether to have more children or not based on the amount of money you'll lose towards modifications.
x2 the mod bug will get to you eventually
Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
With your two kids in car seats and dogs will outgrow the Tacoma quick... Just by a bus, so you will have additional room to add to the family.

Get a 4runner
Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #17
chojin is on a distinguished road
chojin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

4Runner looks too nice to get trashed by the kids and dogs.

Problem I have is what places in southern California can I go with the family that will show having a taco was the best decision.

What's your budget? I'd look for a way to get both.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #18
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
So I have a minivan for kid hauling duties, but got a dclb as my truck with the secondary ability to haul kids and dogs. The long bed with a cap ends up being much better suited to haul two dogs, three kids and all our crap than the van is.

The taco may not be ideal for a big family but we end up using it more than the van. I have a wife, three kids and two dogs.

Two carseats will be fine. As the kids get older they will be ok as well.

If you are serious about the taco take your wife kids and car seats to the dealer and load them all up to see if it works for your needs

Is tacoma a good family vehicle?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21373809820.573245.jpg
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how tall you are and what car seats you use, the Tacoma DC is tight with two car seats in the back. Of course I'm 6`2with a 4 & 2 year old. The thing about these threads that get me is the fools who advocate vehicle coolness over functionality, safety and comfort for their family and kids.....

Look at the 4 runner or get a true family car and the Tacoma as your family second vehicle
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 for a family of 5. The kids love this truck! Ages 11, 8, and 3 (car seat). For those who do not know, a carseat takes up the same space as an adult passanger, so when the toddler outgrows the carseat, there is actually more room available! Up until they're teenagers. As it is right now, all the kids fit perfectly and comfortably back there. Once the carseat is out, they will have more room. Did I mentioned the kids love my truck? They can't wait to get on it, so they make up excuses to get out of the house"