Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Cleghorn Road report

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
captain_94704 is on a distinguished road

captain_94704's Tacoma Gallery
Cleghorn Road report

I just return from offroading today at Cleghorn road. I spent the morning skiing and then the afternoon offroading.

The road was fairly dry with minimal snow. I made it about 9 miles in before having to turn around because it was getting dark. I was very impressed with the tacoma, I took all of the hard lines with one exception and never had any trouble. On the tougher steeper lines I would try 4x4 high first but would not usually make it up. But every time I went to 4 low and engaged the rear locker the tacoma went up everything I tried. The best part of the day when I was following a full sized Chevy with 35" tires. He went up a hill and then quickly turned around. He said he fell in a hole and got stuck, and then highly suggested I bypass this hill. When I said I would give it a try (stock tacoma with offroad package) he looked surprised and said he would wait at the bottom of the hill so if I got stuck he could pull me out. Now while I appreciated the gesture it felt great to charge up the hill and not even slip when I hit the hole. Ohh what a wonderful thing a locking rear diff is.

The only line I bypassed was being done by a highly modified sazuki that looked like a jeep. The driver was going up a steep, narrow rutted line that almost tipped him over several times. He had to use his winch multiple times so that he could back up and not tip over. It was a hard line that I had no intention of trying but it was fun to watch.

Overall it was a good trip and I continue to be impressed with the Tacoma. I have included a few pictures, unfortionately there are not of the hard lines because I was alone and did not want to stop the truck to take a picture.

I was a little worried about this line, I did not have a spotter and was worried about falling in the crack. Just my luck I had seen trucks all day but not when I was doing this line. The crack was 30 feet long and I would drive 5 feet and stop to check the alignment because I could see the crack from inside the truck.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
captain_94704 is on a distinguished road

captain_94704's Tacoma Gallery
sorry duplicate picture on last post

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I need to get up there.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I need to get up there.
Yep.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I need to get up there.

pick a day and time to meet and lets go!...i'll have the whole crew up there for you. that goes for anyone else who wants to wheel Cleg!!

EDIT: here's some teaser pics...enjoy!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
im in!

sweet!! in a few days, after i figure out a date and time i'll post something official so more peeps can possibly come.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Im in for a run!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
awesome. thanks. Will this be limited to tacomas? or open invite?
everyone man..im not exclusive to just Toyota's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
Im in for a run!

hell yeah!!!