Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Last Chance Canyon Road Condition Update

Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Last Chance Canyon Road Condition Update

A pretty heavy thunderstorm hit Red Rock Canyon State Park on Monday evening. Last Chance Canyon was hit especially hard, and severe flash flooding occurred. If any of you are familiar with the route, please take caution the next time you travel it. The canyon is completely rearranged from how it used to be. Before the flooding, I could get my patrol truck up the entire length. Now, there are one or two spots that I would be foolish to attempt without a tow vehicle ready to yank me out. Lots of new, large, sharp rocks in places that used to be smooth. Below are a couple of pictures of my road assessment patrol today. I forgot to take pictures of the really blown out sections.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Wow! It's pretty tore up!!! Ttora group is going to be there weekend of oct 12-13. We're gonna be staying at the 2 of hearts cabin as usual. You should swing by
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll try to make a note to swing by that area.

As a bit of an update, Nightmare Gulch is completely undrivable unless you are very experienced on a trails dirtbike. I was able to make a run down the gulch on our 4X4 ATV, but it was the most nerve racking, physically punishing bit of technical crawling I've ever done.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
BeeTakingThe405 is on a distinguished road
BeeTakingThe405's Tacoma Gallery
Soooo Labor Day (next weekend) with my stock 4x4 TRD Offroad rig, is EP15 my only choice through the canyon you think? Anything adventurous I could try? I was thinking Last Chance maybe, but not from the looks of things...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Weapon Mechanic

Taking a stock anything through lower Last Chance Canyon right now is just asking for loss of paint and/or vital drive-train fluids. I'm not saying you couldn't make it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver.

EP 15 should be in pretty good shape all the way to Burrow Schmidt Tunnel, but I haven't made a run that way since the storm to tell for certain. Additionally, we are entering monsoon season and the weather reports show thunder storms stacking up which could change road conditions even further.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Weapon Mechanic

IF anyone is thinking of braving our summer heat this Labor Day, please take note of the current weather report. Not only will it be hot, but it will also be quite humid with decent chances of thunder storms.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...t#.UhoZKD9Fyqc
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
BeeTakingThe405 is on a distinguished road
BeeTakingThe405's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks for the heads up. We're ok with the heat, but I don't know about t-storms...we'll plan accordingly.