Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Help with So. Cal Camping Recommendations

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
OneWheelDrive's Tacoma Gallery
Help with So. Cal Camping Recommendations

Hey guys!

I've finally got my Tacoma trail and camping ready, and I want to take my girl and my dog somewhere off the beaten path. Nothing worse than camping next to RVs and kids on bikes and drunks from Arizona. I live in San Diego and want to go somewhere with an intermediate trail in and a cool destination. I spend a lot of time in Baja, but the girl would rather stay north of the border, and we're limited to leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday night because of her work. Throw some ideas my way! Thanks!

-Pete
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

C'mon guys. No camping suggestions? I've got a week to come up with a plan or I'll be headed to Baja to my old standby point break camp spot.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

Thanks Gabe. Any specific recommendations or directions? I've never been up there in the summer.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Shinty Killer
Gabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Gabe
Gabex35's Tacoma Gallery
There are quite a few places to camp out there in the summer. Depends on how much you want to rough it. Best thing to do is stop by the ranger station on the north side of the lake and talk to a ranger about the area.

Since your rig is up to speed, it wouldn't be A bad idea to get this book for trip planning http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Calif.../dp/0966497643

It's got great info

Good luck
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

Thanks Gabe!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
I like going up to the Sierras or up to the central coast in the summer.
Big bear is nice in the summer, check out TTORA they are having the annual Big Bear trail run and camping from Friday to Sunday. Groups going out on trails from mild to hard.
I'm going out Friday night.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

So I think we've decided on Horse Springs Campground, but we're going to be arriving at night Friday. Anything I need to be concerned about driving in? Also, how do I take the Coxey Truck Trail to Deep Creek Hot Springs? Any help would be appreciated! I did buy the So. Cal Trail Driving book, so there's good info in there. Thanks all!